Record locator confusion.

mjdenn

We have flights to Amsterdam from Newark. 

We fly Icelandair to Amsterdam via Reykjavik. 

Our return flight from Amsterdam (AA/BA codeshare) via Heathrow. 

Both the trips have seperate record locator codes.  When we look at the return flights the outbound flights are visible even though the record locators are different.  Does anyone have an idea as to why we are seeing this?

Thanks

Mjdenn

As 6 says. Each airline issues it's own PNR. 

If you bought your ticket from AA (it has a PNR code) but the actual airplane you are flying on is a BA flight,,, it will have a separate PNR code.

When I do this when I book thru Alaska Airlines, my itinerary that I print out will show both PNR codes (in small print). The AS PNR code and the BA PNR code.

3 hours ago, mjdenn said:

Both the trips have seperate record locator codes.  When we look at the return flights the outbound flights are visible even though the record locators are different.  Does anyone have an idea as to why we are seeing this?

This suggests to me that the flights are all on one booking (even though you may have separate tickets for the two halves of the journey). Perhaps it was bought by the cruise line?

It's quite common for a booking record or PNR for a particular flight/journey to show the flight/journey immediately before and/or the flight/journey immediately after, often as an "information segment". Sometimes it helps an operating airline to know where the passenger has come from is or going to, even if there is no contractual link between the flights/journeys.

Obviously, if there are two separate bookings for the two halves of a trip, then this can't happen because neither airline would have any way of knowing what the other half of the trip is (or if there is even another half). This is why I wonder whether both halves of your trip have been made in the same booking. That would normally be expensive to do yourself, but cruise lines will have special rates for one-way travel and may well be able to put stuff together like this.

The flights were arranged by the cruise line.  Our concern was that it might prevent a online check-in when we return from the cruise.  We seem to have a tough trip in front of us. Newark (#1 for cancelations),  Reykjavik which has a volcano erupting,  Amsterdam, and Heathrow.

Thanks to all.