Guarantee Bookings

ClefsDor

I believe on Cunard that unless one specifically asks not to be "upgraded" then all bookings are to some degree a guarantee booking in that you could be upgraded to another category - is this correct? Do normal guarantee bookings exist and if so what are the benefits as opposed to just not ticking the "no upgrade box". TIA

Normal guarantee bookings do exist. Some fare types only allow guarantee bookings. In the US we have a "Value Fare" or what's listed as our "Our Lowest Fare" on the website which only allows a guarantee booking in exchange for a lower fare.

In the UK, they have an "Early Saver Fare" and a "Late Saver Fare" which only allow guarantee bookings in exchange for a lower fare.

In Australia, you have a similar "Early Saver Fare" which only allows a guarantee booking in exchange for a lower fare.

So, as I've hinted at here, one of the main benefits of booking a guarantee is when it is associated with a lower fare (and often a lower deposit) compared to a fare that allows you to select a specific cabin.

Even if you book a fare that allows you to select a specific cabin, some cruise booking sites allow you to opt for a guarantee booking instead of picking a specific cabin. And in some cases, because of limited availability, you may find Cunard is only accepting a guarantee booking within your chosen category even if you have selected a fare that normally allows you to select a specific cabin.

So, in general, what is the difference between a guarantee booking as opposed to selecting a specific cabin and not ticking the 'do not upgrade' box"? In both of those situations you may be upgraded to a higher category than the one you have booked. The main difference though is when you book a guarantee, you are allowing Cunard to assign you any cabin in the category you booked. You are not only allowing an upgrade to a higher category, you are also allowing Cunard to assign you a cabin in the least desirable locations within the category you have booked.

I think it's an open question whether booking a guarantee increases your chances of receiving an upgrade compared to booking a specific cabin which is marked to accept an upgrade. It seems likely to me that a guarantee booking increases your chances of receiving a small upgrade within the same type of cabin you have booked, for example being upgraded from a forward or aft Britannia Balcony to a midships Britannia Balcony. I don't know how much it increases your chances of receiving a larger upgrade, for example from an Inside to a Balcony or from Britannia cabin to a Grill suite.

One thing to keep in mind about a booking which is open to an upgrade is that you are allowing Cunard to decide what it considers an upgrade. You might not always consider what you end up to be an upgrade compared to what you originally booked. But then if you don't allow an upgrade, you could be missing out on the opportunity for a substantial upgrade.

21 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Normal guarantee bookings do exist. Some fare types only allow guarantee bookings. In the US we have a "Value Fare" or what's listed as our "Our Lowest Fare" on the website which only allows a guarantee booking in exchange for a lower fare.

In the UK, they have an "Early Saver Fare" and a "Late Saver Fare" which only allow guarantee bookings in exchange for a lower fare.

In Australia, you have a similar "Early Saver Fare" which only allows a guarantee booking in exchange for a lower fare.

So, as I've hinted at here, one of the main benefits of booking a guarantee is when it is associated with a lower fare (and often a lower deposit) compared to a fare that allows you to select a specific cabin.

Even if you book a fare that allows you to select a specific cabin, some cruise booking sites allow you to opt for a guarantee booking instead of picking a specific cabin. And in some cases, because of limited availability, you may find Cunard is only accepting a guarantee booking within your chosen category even if you have selected a fare that normally allows you to select a specific cabin.

So, in general, what is the difference between a guarantee booking as opposed to selecting a specific cabin and not ticking the 'do not upgrade' box"? In both of those situations you may be upgraded to a higher category than the one you have booked. The main difference though is when you book a guarantee, you are allowing Cunard to assign you any cabin in the category you booked. You are not only allowing an upgrade to a higher category, you are also allowing Cunard to assign you a cabin in the least desirable locations within the category you have booked.

I think it's an open question whether booking a guarantee increases your chances of receiving an upgrade compared to booking a specific cabin which is marked to accept an upgrade. It seems likely to me that a guarantee booking increases your chances of receiving a small upgrade within the same type of cabin you have booked, for example being upgraded from a forward or aft Britannia Balcony to a midships Britannia Balcony. I don't know how much it increases your chances of receiving a larger upgrade, for example from an Inside to a Balcony or from Britannia cabin to a Grill suite.

One thing to keep in mind about a booking which is open to an upgrade is that you are allowing Cunard to decide what it considers an upgrade. You might not always consider what you end up to be an upgrade compared to what you originally booked. But then if you don't allow an upgrade, you could be missing out on the opportunity for a substantial upgrade.

Hi, @bluemarble, so much more comprehensive than what I had started to write. Should answer your question perfectly, @ClefsDor.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, carlmm said:

Hi, @bluemarble, so much more comprehensive than what I had started to write. Should answer your question perfectly, @ClefsDor.

Thanks, @carlmm. I could have been a bit more comprehensive, but I thought my reply was long enough as it was. I'll take the opportunity now though to expand a bit more about upgrades (as I understand it anyway) in case anyone is interested.

Allowing upgrades is more nuanced that just a yes/no option to accept upgrades or not. As I understand it, Cunard's booking system offers three choices for the upgrade option.

1) Open to any upgrade

2) Only upgrade to the next stateroom type

3) Do not upgrade

That second more nuanced option needs some explanation. As I understand it, "Only upgrade to the next stateroom type" means you are not allowing Cunard to give you just a minor upgrade by simply moving you to what it considers a better location within the same type of cabin you booked. For example, you would not be allowing Cunard to upgrade you from a forward/aft Britannia Balcony to a midships Britannia Balcony. But you would be allowing Cunard to give you a more significant upgrade to a higher grade of cabin from what you booked. For example, if you booked an Inside, you would be allowing Cunard to upgrade you to an Oceanview or any higher grade of cabin.

Now I don't know are all the details for what Cunard considers "the next stateroom type". For example, are "Balcony (obstructed view)", "Balcony (sheltered)" and "Balcony" all considered the same "stateroom type" in this context? I expect they are, but I don't know that for sure.

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

Now I don't know are all the details for what Cunard considers "the next stateroom type". For example, are "Balcony (obstructed view)", "Balcony (sheltered)" and "Balcony" all considered the same "stateroom type" in this context? I expect they are, but I don't know that for sure.

I believe that they are considered separate types - Obstructed, Sheltered, then Balcony, at least based on fares. 

1 hour ago, neeuqdrazil said:

I believe that they are considered separate types - Obstructed, Sheltered, then Balcony, at least based on fares. 

Isn't there a distinction between "type," which would be the first grouping on the booking page (i.e., inside, ocean view, balcony, Club, PG, QG), and "category," which would be the narrower distinctions that give rise to fare differences (e.g., obstructed/sheltered/unobstructed balcony, P1/P2, etc.)?

The way it was explained to me - not that it was necessarily correct - was that the "next type" would be balcony-to-Club, Club-to-PG, etc. If so, open to any upgrade would mean moving from (for example) P2 to P1, but open only to next stateroom type would mean moving from PG to QG (which would almost undoubtedly be to the lowest QG category).

56 minutes ago, ExArkie said:

Isn't there a distinction between "type," which would be the first grouping on the booking page (i.e., inside, ocean view, balcony, Club, PG, QG), and "category," which would be the narrower distinctions that give rise to fare differences (e.g., obstructed/sheltered/unobstructed balcony, P1/P2, etc.)?

The way it was explained to me - not that it was necessarily correct - was that the "next type" would be balcony-to-Club, Club-to-PG, etc. If so, open to any upgrade would mean moving from (for example) P2 to P1, but open only to next stateroom type would mean moving from PG to QG (which would almost undoubtedly be to the lowest QG category).

That's the way I figure it works as well. Screen shots I've seen from the POLAR Online booking system can be instructive with regard to what "stateroom type" means in the context of complimentary upgrades. The full label of the second radio button within the field called "Auto Upgrade" on the booking screen reads as follows.

"Only Upgrade to the Next Stateroom Type (ex. Balcony to Minisuite)"

This appears to be using the P&O (or perhaps Princess) terminology "Minisuite". But I get the drift that it's probably not attempting to differentiate between the different kinds of balconies when it refers to "Next Stateroom Type".

Edited by bluemarble

It is my understanding and it goes a ways back so I could be incorrect but if you book guarantee Cunard gets to chose and you do not get to say no thank you. If you book a specific stateroom and they offer an upgrade or any move, then you get to say no thank you we will remain where we are.

36 minutes ago, Lakesregion said:

It is my understanding and it goes a ways back so I could be incorrect but if you book guarantee Cunard gets to chose and you do not get to say no thank you. If you book a specific stateroom and they offer an upgrade or any move, then you get to say no thank you we will remain where we are.

My understanding is a little different. What you say is absolutely correct about the situation where Cunard contacts you (or your travel agent) to offer you an upgrade. That would be for an upgrade at an additional cost. Naturally you can decline such an offer where you would need to pay for the upgrade.

Most of the upgrades Cunard provides are "complimentary" upgrades (or in the parlance of their booking engine, "auto" upgrades). As those names imply, such upgrades are free and automatic. Cunard does not contact you about those upgrades. The only way I've found out we've received one of those upgrades is to see our new cabin assignment in the Voyage Personaliser (My Cunard). At that point the upgrade has been applied to your booking and there is no way to decline the upgrade and get your original cabin back.

Quoting from the Cunard FAQ:

"(Q) Can I upgrade my stateroom?

(A) A request for complimentary upgrade can be made at time of booking and anytime up to the departure date. Upgrades are based on many factors and cannot be confirmed. If multiple bookings are cross-referenced there is no guarantee that all bookings will receive an upgrade or that staterooms will be near each other or be on the same deck. If you receive an upgrade to a higher category you will not have the option of returning to your original stateroom if the upgraded location is not to your liking. Please take this into consideration if you chose to make your booking eligible for an upgrade."

Edit to add: Sometimes guests are caught out by not realizing they had requested a complimentary upgrade at the time of booking. I've found when booking on some travel agent sites, there is no mention of the upgrade option. Sometimes the default option of "Open to any upgrade" is applied to bookings without guests being aware of it.

Edited by bluemarble

13 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

About four or five years ago, "guarantee" bookings were removed from Grills. It's now just pot luck. Mostly, we tick Do Not Upgrade.

We used the PG & QG gty bookings previously and thought they had disappeared too. 

However, we've been booked on a Q6 Gty since Sep 21 for an upcoming QE trip on 29 Aug.    It will be interesting to see what we get assigned. 

26 minutes ago, Lynnewob said:

We used the PG & QG gty bookings previously and thought they had disappeared too. 

However, we've been booked on a Q6 Gty since Sep 21 for an upcoming QE trip on 29 Aug.    It will be interesting to see what we get assigned. 

There have been a few times we have tried to book W.C. segments and when it came to selecting the cabin,   it was a case of 'You Choose; and 'We Choose'.

When I tried 'You Choose,' it came back 'unavailable'. Click 'We Choose' and no problem, except it was for us as we always want specific cabins so didn't go on with the booking at the time.

I think that also happens occasionally on non World cruises so I suppose, that's a form of guarantee.

19 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

About four or five years ago, "guarantee" bookings were removed from Grills. It's now just pot luck. Mostly, we tick Do Not Upgrade.

I booked a Q6 guarantee for a 2019 TA on QM2 - we ended up in a Q5- thankfully not one of the Q5s with a lifeboat directly below!

19 hours ago, Lynnewob said:

We are now assigned 😁, a Q4 - 7080, which is not surprising really given how many Q4's there are on deck 7.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2022 at 7:59 PM, bluemarble said:

The lower fare option in Australia seems to include a non-refundable deposit as one of its conditions so the OP should beware of the limitations of that if tempted to book.

6 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

The lower fare option in Australia seems to include a non-refundable deposit as one of its conditions so the OP should beware of the limitations of that if tempted to book.

That's an important clarification. It may not be immediately obvious.

The Cunard Australia website doesn't specifically state the deposit is non-refundable in the "Terms and Conditions" for the Early Saver Fare found on their "Special Offers" page. There it just says "Low 10% deposit secures your booking, with balance conveniently payable online later."

However, elsewhere including in the "Booking Conditions" document for Australia / New Zealand and on their "Choosing the fare that suits you" page, they do indicate the deposit is non-refundable for the Early Saver Fare.

Our guarantee-only Value Fare / Our Lowest Fare here in the US has similar conditions. There's a reduced 12.5% deposit on that fare, but the deposit is non-refundable.

14 hours ago, bluemarble said:

That's an important clarification. It may not be immediately obvious.

The Cunard Australia website doesn't specifically state the deposit is non-refundable in the "Terms and Conditions" for the Early Saver Fare found on their "Special Offers" page. There it just says "Low 10% deposit secures your booking, with balance conveniently payable online later."

However, elsewhere including in the "Booking Conditions" document for Australia / New Zealand and on their "Choosing the fare that suits you" page, they do indicate the deposit is non-refundable for the Early Saver Fare.

Our guarantee-only Value Fare / Our Lowest Fare here in the US has similar conditions. There's a reduced 12.5% deposit on that fare, but the deposit is non-refundable.

Instead of looking at the full T&Cs, it's easier just to look at the 'Select your fare' section at the start of a dummy booking and see what the cancellation charges are. For the cheaper fare it doesn't actually phrase it quite so clearly but the information is presented as percentages charged for the time out from sailing that the booking is cancelled. Some special offers at the moment request 5% deposit and some 10% for non-refundable deposits. Some voyages currently available for booking are not offering the refundable deposit at all, just the non-refundable.

I don't think they ever request more than a 10% deposit here but I may be mistaken.

23 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I don't think they ever request more than a 10% deposit here but I may be mistaken.

I had forgotten your standard deposit in Australia / New Zealand is indeed 10%. It's spelled out as such in the Booking Conditions document.

Just for reference, that compares to 15% for the standard deposit in the UK and 25% in the US.