Paying the Balance

jh1809

Last year I booked a cruise sailing in November, with the payment of the balance being due on the 13th of this month (so in 5 days time). When I booked, I specified "auto" payment of the balance using a credit card that was due to expire at the end of this month. What I'd forgotten is that my bank sends out my replacement card about a month before the old one is due to expire. So my card, though it still has the same number, now has an expiry date of Aug 2025 instead of Aug 2022, and the 3-digit security number has also changed. Presumably that will mean that the auto payment would no longer go through, and that I need to pay "manually" using my new card prior to the auto payment becoming due? If I do that, would I be safe in assuming that P&O won't still try to take the auto payment as well?

Expiry date of your old card is exactly that and it will work until the end of August. The new card arrives early, no need to activate it yet.

Don't intervene and pay manually, especially so,close to the date of payment or you could be back on here saying two payments have been taken.

• Like 1

On a point of principle I would never select the auto payment option as I prefer to be in control of what goes out of my account and when.

Never had a problem with paying the balance online and if there was to be a problem then it is in P&O's interest to sort it out.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

But dont activate your new card until P&O take payment, once you do the old card is cancelled.

Unfortunately I activated the new card without thinking as soon as I received it. Presumably if that causes the automatic payment to fail, before long P&O will be in touch asking me to pay manually. I'll also keep an eye on my credit card transactions, and if there hasn't been a payment to P&O within a few days of the due date, then if they haven't contacted me I'll contact them in order  to pay manually.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jh1809 said:

Unfortunately I activated the new card without thinking as soon as I received it. Presumably if that causes the automatic payment to fail, before long P&O will be in touch asking me to pay manually. I'll also keep an eye on my credit card transactions, and if there hasn't been a payment to P&O within a few days of the due date, then if they haven't contacted me I'll contact them in order  to pay manually.

You could maybe go into the My p&o cruises for this cruise and amend your credit card details changing the security code?

15 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

You could maybe go into the My p&o cruises for this cruise and amend your credit card details changing the security code?

I'd thought of that, but there doesn't appear to be anywhere to do that.

I don't pay via auto pay as I personally prefer to phone P&O and make the payment. It to me has also the advantage of sorting out a few questions before the phone call and then asking them at the same time as payment. Normally if P&O have your email address they contact you with a payment reminder several days before the payment is due anyway.

16 hours ago, jh1809 said:

Try and make a purchase with your old card. If it doesn't work, then it won't work when P%O try and take the balance. Don't wait until final payment day, as it is possible P%O's system will cancel your booking and you will lose your deposit.

So on final payment due day, just pay the balance with your new card.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2022 at 9:46 AM, paulatsea said:

Same with me - I phoned up to pay - and to make sure auto payment was removed.

All was fine.

I've just done that, and it's all sorted. I'd been a bit reluctant, as I'd expected to be kept on hold for ages but, in spite of an announcement saying I might have to wait for 30 minutes or more, I only had to listen to music for about a minute before speaking to someone.

• Like 2