Bolette?

jeanlyon

4 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Well that's it, have booked Bolette for April 2024 - Islands of the Azores.   All excited now to try a new ship.

Jean, we are just off Bollette and really enjoyed it.

The staff were lovely, the food was really good, lots of space in the lounges etc.. We never felt crowded or as if we were stuck in queues (other than for shuttle buses which took a while wiring in a lounge).

We booked the afternoon tea and it was lovely, held  up in the elegant observatory. Nice little sandwiches, cakes and scones so you could enjoy bites of all of them. £13 pp. ( standard afternoon tea available every day in the buffet which was also fine but not as nice).

We also booked both speciality restaurants and they were brilliant and at only £10 pp if booked in advance amazing value for the excellent product provided. That said the food in main dining was great, particularly the fish dishes which were excellent.

The cabins are a bit old fashioned but spotless and perfectly fine if you don’t spend a lot of time there. Lots of storage space.

I enjoyed the daytime entertainment on sea days and there was lots to do, quizzes, guest speaker talks, bowls, curling, etc etc. The cookery demos were informative and demonstrated the taste of the region so we got Norwegian dishes while up there then some of the items from the specialty restaurants on the last sea days.

If I’m honest the evening entertainment was a bit lame but that is a very subjective of course and just my opinion. Didn’t help that we had seen both the acts onboard before on other ships. Didn’t bother us as we were out watching the northern lights.

We have booked again so that tells a tale. Just ask if there is anything you want to know but I’m sure your friend has told all.

• Like 3

Thanks for that.  Really good to know.  My friend did enjoy the ship, but very sad to say she died in January.  Rather sudden.  We shall miss cruising with her.  Yes really pleased to have booked.  Calling at St Malo and Brest, so that will be different.

30 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Thanks for that.  Really good to know.  My friend did enjoy the ship, but very sad to say she died in January.  Rather sudden.  We shall miss cruising with her.  Yes really pleased to have booked.  Calling at St Malo and Brest, so that will be different.

Sorry to hear that Jean.

If you think of anything you need to know just ask.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2023 at 2:50 PM, Eglesbrech said:

Jean, we are just off Bollette and really enjoyed it.

The staff were lovely, the food was really good, lots of space in the lounges etc.. We never felt crowded or as if we were stuck in queues (other than for shuttle buses which took a while wiring in a lounge).

We booked the afternoon tea and it was lovely, held  up in the elegant observatory. Nice little sandwiches, cakes and scones so you could enjoy bites of all of them. £13 pp. ( standard afternoon tea available every day in the buffet which was also fine but not as nice).

We also booked both speciality restaurants and they were brilliant and at only £10 pp if booked in advance amazing value for the excellent product provided. That said the food in main dining was great, particularly the fish dishes which were excellent.

The cabins are a bit old fashioned but spotless and perfectly fine if you don’t spend a lot of time there. Lots of storage space.

I enjoyed the daytime entertainment on sea days and there was lots to do, quizzes, guest speaker talks, bowls, curling, etc etc. The cookery demos were informative and demonstrated the taste of the region so we got Norwegian dishes while up there then some of the items from the specialty restaurants on the last sea days.

If I’m honest the evening entertainment was a bit lame but that is a very subjective of course and just my opinion. Didn’t help that we had seen both the acts onboard before on other ships. Didn’t bother us as we were out watching the northern lights.

We have booked again so that tells a tale. Just ask if there is anything you want to know but I’m sure your friend has told all.

Thank you for this review.

we have never sailed with Fred, having sailed previously with Marella and Celebrity. We are now looking to change things up a little, and wonder if you are able to compare Fred against our other favourite lines.?  Also are you able to comment

on Fred’s drinks package please, and if you have purchased the package, did you find it adequate for your holiday “needs” .?

Edited by Manchester is blue

20 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

which restaurants did you go to?  Is there an Indian or Asian one.  That would be good.

Both. Vasco is Indian. Colours and Tastes is pan Asian with Indonesian, dishes from the Philippines  etc. 

I tried a new dish Sisig, very nice.

14 minutes ago, Manchester is blue said:

Thank you for this review.

we have never sailed with Fred, having sailed previously with Marella and Celebrity. We are now looking to change things up a little, and wonder if you are able to compare Fred against our other favourite lines.?  Also are you able to comment

on Fred’s drinks package please, and if you have purchased the package, did you find it adequate for your holiday “needs” .?

Yes we had the drinks package and found it perfectly adequate. The choice of beers and wines available were fine as were the soft drinks. I don’t tend to drink spirits so can’t comment on how good or otherwise they are.

Coffees and bottled water is not included which is a little annoying.

Any off package drinks were 50% off with some notable exceptions like coffee!

Fred is probably nearer to Marella with older ships, a decent basic drinks package and good daytime activities. I would say food on Fred is better than Marella but evening entertainment not as good imo. Fred passengers are older and probably more sedate than on Marella. The small ships get into interesting ports.

You can’t compare it to Celebrity in any way. It has none of the glitz of new ships or big stage production stage shows, no ice bars - definitely apples and pears.

I like Celebrity for the cruise experience and Fred for more for the unusual ports of call. If I am doing well trodden ports then I would pick Celebrity.

• Like 1

Just a quick comment on the drinks package.

We cruised with Fred last year and my wife isn't a big drinker.

Because you can't book just one drinks package across two passengers, we decided to pay as you go. I thought the the drinks prices were very reasonable ( I drink mainly beers and lagers) and we ended up spending a lot less than we would have done if we took the package deal. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, lohr500 said:

Because you can't book just one drinks package across two passengers, we decided to pay as you go. I thought the the drinks prices were very reasonable ( I drink mainly beers and lagers) and we ended up spending a lot less than we would have done if we took the package deal. 

Usually the case.  Same on P&O

4 hours ago, lohr500 said:

Good point. I got mine free when booking so I didn’t think about it re costs.

15 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Yes we had the drinks package and found it perfectly adequate. The choice of beers and wines available were fine as were the soft drinks. I don’t tend to drink spirits so can’t comment on how good or otherwise they are.

Coffees and bottled water is not included which is a little annoying.

Any off package drinks were 50% off with some notable exceptions like coffee!

Fred is probably nearer to Marella with older ships, a decent basic drinks package and good daytime activities. I would say food on Fred is better than Marella but evening entertainment not as good imo. Fred passengers are older and probably more sedate than on Marella. The small ships get into interesting ports.

You can’t compare it to Celebrity in any way. It has none of the glitz of new ships or big stage production stage shows, no ice bars - definitely apples and pears.

I like Celebrity for the cruise experience and Fred for more for the unusual ports of call. If I am doing well trodden ports then I would pick Celebrity.

Thanks Eglesbrech.