NCL first cruise line to remove ALL Vaccine Requirements!!

NCL is leading the entire industry in removing vaccine requirements for cruisers!!

This is huge news. MUCH bigger than just removing pre-testing (although the unvaccinated will need still to be tested for the time being, this too shall pass). Since only 67% of the United States is vaccinated, this move give NCL a real competitive edge in the industry. The other cruise lines will follow in removing their vaccine requirements too, but for the time being NCL is the only line to allow 100% unvaccinated. 

image.png.e6c4f0ea61afd3b5dc5be7c3015ee7f9.png

Of course, passengers will still need to follow the rules of the foreign ports they visit. I believe Spain is the only port in the EU with any covid protocols. I also believe Canada and Bermuda still require vaccination and testing. Rumor has it Grand Caymen has removed all covid protocols but I haven't been able to confirm that yet.

I know this sentiment won't be shared by all, but IMO What a glorious day for NCL!! 

https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe

• Like 28
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Karaboudjan said:

Sorry, but you got scooped...

HAHAHA.... Just saw that but I believe that the removal of ALL VACCINE REQUIREMENTS deserves its own thread pointing out this monumental change. This is huge news for the industry 🙂

The only thing I'm concerned about is if NCL does an about-face like Carnival did and retract this statement in a few days. I am a bit surprised they just ripped off the entire vaccine band-aid at once and didn't go the % route but IMO this is better since it gives NCL a competitive advantage in the industry while the rest of the lines catch up. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Yes, something more descriptive might have helped for the other topic.  But anyway this is CC, so why have just one thread on a subject when you can have two or more?  😉

I am not really following the data much at this point, but it seems to me that there might just not be enough evidence to say that 10% or 20% vaccinated is really any safer than 100%, so why not keep it simple?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

HAHAHA.... Just saw that but I believe that the removal of ALL VACCINE REQUIREMENTS deserves its own thread pointing out this monumental change. This is huge news for the industry 🙂

The only thing I'm concerned about is if NCL does an about-face like Carnival did and retract this statement in a few days. I am a bit surprised they just ripped off the entire vaccine band-aid at once and didn't go the % route but IMO this is better since it gives NCL a competitive advantage in the industry while the rest of the lines catch up. 

I’m not sure the vague wording on their website means they don’t still have a percentage in their policies. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, prmssk said:

I’m not sure the vague wording on their website means they don’t still have a percentage in their policies. 

Actually, that is a great thought!! 

They could very well institute percentages like RCL, MSC, Virgin, Carnival, Princess, etc...

Like everything with covid, policies remain fluid. This is such a major change I'm a bit shocked.

However; this does help to explain why NCL postponed the release of their second quarterlies from last week to tomorrow. We speculated it would be to announce removal of pre-testing but this is MUCH bigger. You can bet your socks that FDR will be using this as a selling point at the press release. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

NCL is leading the entire industry in removing vaccine requirements for cruisers!!

This is huge news. MUCH bigger than just removing pre-testing (although the unvaccinated will need still to be tested for the time being, this too shall pass). Since only 67% of the United States is vaccinated, this move give NCL a real competitive edge in the industry. The other cruise lines will follow in removing their vaccine requirements too, but for the time being NCL is the only line to allow 100% unvaccinated. 

Of course, passengers will still need to follow the rules of the foreign ports they visit. I believe Spain is the only port in the EU with any covid protocols. I also believe Canada and Bermuda still require vaccination and testing. Rumor has it Grand Caymen has removed all covid protocols but I haven't been able to confirm that yet.

I know this sentiment won't be shared by all, but IMO What a glorious day for NCL!! 

https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe

As always, thank you for your updates on this subject and I do agree with you, it is glorious day for NCL.   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Karaboudjan said:

Yes, something more descriptive might have helped for the other topic.  But anyway this is CC, so why have just one thread on a subject when you can have two or more?  😉

I am not really following the data much at this point, but it seems to me that there might just not be enough evidence to say that 10% or 20% vaccinated is really any safer than 100%, so why not keep it simple?

As you probably suspect, I am still following the data and don't see any reason to keep any percentage in place for the unvaccinated.

@prmssk pointed out to me that the NCL policy is a bit vague and it's possible they are going to use a percentage scale to phase in the unvaccinated. Currently RCL, Princess, Virgin, CArnival, etc are all starting with 10-20% unvaccinated but making the process to obtain a vaccine exemption infinitely easier. It's obvious the bean counters in the cruise industry have determined they need to open up to the 33% of the US population that remains unvaccinated.

Time will tell if NCL is truly 100% unvaccinated or if they will follow the industry with a phase in approach, but the dominos are falling!! 

5 minutes ago, Swells1 said:

I'm happy to not have to worry about pre-cruise testing, but I do prefer my fellow passengers be fully vaccinated. 

Am I missing something? It has no VAX not no testing unless your 11 or younger? Think for Bermuda we still need the testing anyway. Now wish that requirement would end before our trips.

Thanks all

10 minutes ago, latebloomer56 said:

Am I missing something? It has no VAX not no testing unless your 11 or younger? Think for Bermuda we still need the testing anyway. Now wish that requirement would end before our trips.

Thanks all

When is your trip? Covid protocols are very fluid and are changing rapidly.  Although, i suspect Bermuda will be one of the last places to open up entirely because they aren't reliant on cruise revenue.

I also suspect NCL will clear up some of the poor language on the site tomorrow. They have the second quarter earnings call to the SEC and interviews will follow. I think we will have clarity tomorrow on some of the niggles in the update.

According to this NCL is removing vaccination requirement for ALL travelers and allowing an unlimited number of unvaccinated onboard, but we still won't know for certain until the interviews that take place tomorrow after the earnings call. 

image.png.e0a3285a569f0291b53a5865b63fe97e.png

https://openjaw.com/breaking/2022/08/08/in-an-industry-first-vaccination-requirements-dropped-for-norwegian-regent-oceania-cruises/

• Like 3

Hi All,

If I read correctly, and sometimes that's not always the case, it depends are where you are going.  For instance those of us going to Canada after Sept 03 still need to do the test and any "unvaccinated" people over 12 years old are not permitted to cruise.

happytotravel

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Time will tell if NCL is truly 100% unvaccinated or if they will follow the industry with a phase in approach, but the dominos are falling!! 

Cruise lines know their demographics and, based on those demographics, can predict fairly accurately the percentage of passengers that are vaccinated. IMO, the demographics of cruisers have a far higher percentage vaccinated than the general public. Recognize that language? It's the same that RCL used with their new policy. RCL, for all intents and purposes, has completely removed their vaccine requirement and NCL is now doing the same. The vaccination percentage will remain high without the need for any requirement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RichYak said:

Cruise lines know their demographics and, based on those demographics, can predict fairly accurately the percentage of passengers that are vaccinated. IMO, the demographics of cruisers have a far higher percentage vaccinated than the general public. Recognize that language? It's the same that RCL used with their new policy. RCL, for all intents and purposes, has completely removed their vaccine requirement and NCL is now doing the same. The vaccination percentage will remain high without the need for any requirement.

So if I'm understanding you correctly, you believe that percentages won't need to be officially stated because, by default, more cruisers are vaccinated? I'm interested in hearing your rational. 

4 minutes ago, happytotravel said:

Hi All,

If I read correctly, and sometimes that's not always the case, it depends are where you are going.  For instance those of us going to Canada after Sept 03 still need to do the test and any "unvaccinated" people over 12 years old are not permitted to cruise.

happytotravel

Yes, as stated there a few places remaining that require any testing or vaccination. Canada, Bermuda, and Spain for sure. It appears Greece may also require pre-testing. Always best to check with your destination for requirements. Covid protocols remain fluid.

24 minutes ago, latebloomer56 said:

Thanks all

I take it to mean if you’re 11 and under, no vaccines or testing required. If you are 12 or older, in order not to have to take a Covid test, you’ll have to show proof of vaccination. Without proof, you will have to show a negative Covid test. And they have changed the testing time requirements. Currently, it is two days for antigen, and three days for pcr. After 9/2, it will be up to three days before embark for both tests.Now,if only Bermuda would lift their requirement….

3 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

So if I'm understanding you correctly, you believe that percentages won't need to be officially stated because, by default, more cruisers are vaccinated? I'm interested in hearing your rational. 

Yes, based purely on typical cruiser demographics and how RCL worded their vax policy. They don't need to monitor percentage because they already know the answer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Since only 67% of the United States is vaccinated, this move give NCL a real competitive edge in the industry.

67%?  No.  The vaccination rates for many diseases is much higher.  For example, in the US, the vaccination rates for MMR (mumps, measles and rubella) in the US is about 95%.

A proof of vaccination for rotavirus, diphtheria, tetanus, acellular pertussis, polio, and maybe Hep B should be required to go to school, workplace, and other places where people are in close proximity to each other, such as on cruise ships.

Dropping safety of passengers due to an introduction of deadly diseases is not a step in the right direction.

• Like 5
  • Haha 8

2 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Yes, based purely on typical cruiser demographics and how RCL worded their vax policy. They don't need to monitor percentage because they already know the answer.

That is interesting. I suspect that initially there will be a large influx of unvaccinated cruisers with FCC to spend (or unvaccinated cruisers who have been itching to cruise). After a year or so, that pent up demand should ease.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, pdmlynek said:

67%?  No.  The vaccination rates for many diseases is much higher.  For example, in the US, the vaccination rates for MMR (mumps, measles and rubella) in the US is about 95%.

A proof of vaccination for rotavirus, diphtheria, tetanus, acellular pertussis, polio, and maybe Hep B should be required to go to school, workplace, and other places where people are in close proximity to each other, such as on cruise ships.

Dropping safety of passengers due to an introduction of deadly diseases is not a step in the right direction.

Given the topic of this thread I thought it went unsaid stating that only 67% of US citizens are vaccinated for covid. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cruiserbear55 said:

I take it to mean if you’re 11 and under, no vaccines or testing required. If you are 12 or older, in order not to have to take a Covid test, you’ll have to show proof of vaccination. Without proof, you will have to show a negative Covid test. And they have changed the testing time requirements. Currently, it is two days for antigen, and three days for pcr. After 9/2, it will be up to three days before embark for both tests.Now,if only Bermuda would lift their requirement….

The up to 3 days makes travel plans a little easier.  Requirements around the world are certainly changing so perhaps more countries will update soon.

Canada and Bermuda are currently holding but if you have an upcoming cruise you almost want to check daily🤔

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

No.  You are conflating the issue.  The above is relevant only for Covid-19 vaccination, not other vaccination.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Given the topic of this thread I thought it went unsaid stating that only 67% of US citizens are vaccinated for covid. 

No.  The topic is vaccination.  Not vaccination against a specific disease.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1