Taking a meal from buffet, to your own cabin, Ok ?

Bertie Doe

11 hours ago, oakridger said:

The person in a wheelchair or with other walking aids will have problems maneuvering around plates on the floor.

That wasn't a problem on our Discovery cruise in April, it was the person in an adjacent cabin leaving their scooter in the hallway since they were not in a handicapped cabin.

39 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

How did you end up with carrots, my favorite,  on four different occasions?

I just asked for carrots and mashed every night. And Melvin my waiter took care of me.     I forgot a few nights to mention it and he already had them on my plate.    
mine night he went to a different dining room for mashed for me.   I didn’t know otherwise I wouldn’t have had him go.    It’s not that big a deal.   They had 2x baked potatoes.   Lol. So on discovery. Melvin and Jimmy rock. . 

oh an they were soo good.   I love carrots.    Just perfect for my liking.   

this night he gave both my favorites meat and chicken lol 

35035393-F6CE-4AF8-9FF3-2EDB78BD7677.jpeg

• Like 1

On 8/8/2022 at 9:37 AM, IEHL said:

I so agree with cr8tiv1! pet peeve seeing dirty dishes in the hallway. If you don't want to look at them neither do I.

This problem is easily solved, just call room service, ask them to pick up.  Have done many times. 

• Like 1

I have often gone to buffet and made a plate and taken back to cabin for both my DH and myself.  If I don't have covers (I have saved my Room Service breakfast) just put another plate on both dishes and stack on top of each other.  Very easy to carry back to cabin.  

We preferred to eat in our mini suite cabin vs noisy buffet.  I would call Room Service order coffee after the meal and then have Room Service clear away our plates, very simple.  Of course tip Room Service for doing so. 

• Like 1

On 8/8/2022 at 10:38 AM, CineGraphic said:

If there are no plate covers, disposable shower caps are a cheap, easy way to cover your food as you walk around.

Disposable-Food-Storage-Covers-Bags-for-Bowls-Plates-Dishes-Shower-Cap-Reusable-Food-Storage-Elastic-Fresh.jpg_Q90.jpg_.webp

Great idea. Most dollar stores will have these in a pack of 10 for a buck. Will add to my list as they’re useful for a number of other things. Ironically, one thing I’ve never used them for is in the shower 😁.

In the past, I’ve just thrown a napkin over my plate of food. Less weight than putting another plate over it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, pris993 said:

This problem is easily solved, just call room service, ask them to pick up.  Have done many times. 

I'm sure that's the case with many plates I've seen in the hallway. They aren't to speedy sometimes especially at 4 AM. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

I'm sure that's the case with many plates I've seen in the hallway. They aren't to speedy sometimes especially at 4 AM. 

Did I say I put the dishes in the hallway?  No.  I call them to pick them up, they come knock on the cabin door and I hand them to them with a tip.    The ones you see in the hallway, are put out there by passengers who probably don't call Room Service to pick them up.   Room Service has never told me to put the dishes in the hallway when I call.  Hotels sometimes do but that has never happened on a cruise ship.  

1 hour ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

That wasn't a problem on our Discovery cruise in April, it was the person in an adjacent cabin leaving their scooter in the hallway since they were not in a handicapped cabin.

I seen this a lot last week.  

1 hour ago, Ptroxx said:

I just asked for carrots and mashed every night. And Melvin my waiter took care of me.     I forgot a few nights to mention it and he already had them on my plate.    
mine night he went to a different dining room for mashed for me.   I didn’t know otherwise I wouldn’t have had him go.    It’s not that big a deal.   They had 2x baked potatoes.   Lol. So on discovery. Melvin and Jimmy rock. . 

oh an they were soo good.   I love carrots.    Just perfect for my liking.   

this night he gave both my favorites meat and chicken lol 

35035393-F6CE-4AF8-9FF3-2EDB78BD7677.jpeg

Fair play to Melvin - that sounds like amazing service, but if i’m honest I’m also quite relieved… DH and I have our first Princess cruise on Sky in September and when I looked at your photos I did wonder if we were going to get carrots and mash every evening! 😁

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, pris993 said:

Did I say I put the dishes in the hallway?  No.  I call them to pick them up, they come knock on the cabin door and I hand them to them with a tip.    The ones you see in the hallway, are put out there by passengers who probably don't call Room Service to pick them up.   Room Service has never told me to put the dishes in the hallway when I call.  Hotels sometimes do but that has never happened on a cruise ship.  

That's what I said. Call them. 

A lot of people call, then put them in the hallway to be retrieved. 

It's pretty much a cruising tradition that I head to the buffet to bring back a plate of cookies for my wife. I don't mind and she appreciates it. (Of course I may bring back a few extra cookies for me as well...)

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

That's what I said. Call them. 

A lot of people call, then put them in the hallway to be retrieved. 

If dishes bothered me that much in the hall, I would call Room Service to come get them.    I take care of my own dishes and ignore the rest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

It's pretty much a cruising tradition that I head to the buffet to bring back a plate of cookies for my wife. I don't mind and she appreciates it. (Of course I may bring back a few extra cookies for me as well...)

Guilty of this too.   And I use a baggie and put extras in the fridge for another day. Lol 

80121C7D-A0DB-4697-9C3D-0D69F5473BF6.jpeg

24 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

Guilty of this too.   And I use a baggie and put extras in the fridge for another day. Lol 

I just leave the "extras" on a plate in the cookie drawer...

23 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I just leave the "extras" on a plate in the cookie drawer...

I’ve not used baggies b4.  But I always use the fridge.  I like to keep my chocolate cold lol. 

I wouldn’t leave my dirty plates in the hallway, it does look disgusting  and I don’t particularly want to see dirty plates in the cabin. If I can carry plates of food from  the buffet for the cabin then there’s no reason I can’t take them back down again to leave in the buffet afterwards ! 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, pris993 said:

If dishes bothered me that much in the hall, I would call Room Service to come get them.    I take care of my own dishes and ignore the rest.

When we have to many plates in our cabin we just take some of them to the IC or buffet with us on the next trip. 

On 8/11/2022 at 2:52 AM, MissP22 said:

When we have to many plates in our cabin we just take some of them to the IC or buffet with us on the next trip. 

Another option.  Room service, do it yourself, no reason to leave dishes in hallway.  

5 minutes ago, pris993 said:

Another option.  Room service, do it yourself, no reason to leave dishes in hallway.  

Plenty of reason.    Was directed by a room steward to do so.      Lol.   
just because you it doesn’t align with your standards doesn’t make it wrong lol.  
but I’m sure dr Phil can help with that lololJK. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ptroxx said:

Plenty of reason.    Was directed by a room steward to do so.      Lol.   
just because you it doesn’t align with your standards doesn’t make it wrong lol.  
but I’m sure dr Phil can help with that lololJK. 

It is not about my personal standards, I am responding to those on this thread that are concerned about the personal safety of those with limited mobility dodging plates in the hallway.  I have never had a Room Steward tell me to put dishes in the hall by the way.  I have actually had Stewards gladly remove dishes when cleaning the cabin.     

13 minutes ago, pris993 said:

It is not about my personal standards, I am responding to those on this thread that are concerned about the personal safety of those with limited mobility dodging plates in the hallway.  I have never had a Room Steward tell me to put dishes in the hall by the way.  I have actually had Stewards gladly remove dishes when cleaning the cabin.     

I would hope that they gladly remove the dishes when cleaning the cabin.  

no dodging plates at all.  Unless your scootering in the walls.   Or your person pushing you is drunk  

plenty of room to place dishes out of the way.    Inside cabins. Not so much. 
and what are ya doin up at 1am when I put my dishes out.  Lol.   

9CA87118-8F03-48AB-8EF4-6B8C8FAC3843.jpeg

Edited by Ptroxx