Interesting change to Viking Air

ClevelandKid

32 minutes ago, junnipper said:
Perhaps it is because of my 2-stopovers as all my seats are economy class? 

Are you talking "stopovers" or "connections"?  Do you REALLY have two stopovers?

You might read this thread and post for more clarification of the difference between those two terms and how they are used in the airline industry:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2876144-connection-time-advice/#comment-63830231

Because you the layman may think they are interchangeable, but they are two different animals.

8 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Very welcome.  Here are some more codes for whomever may be curious:

Alaska  027

United  016

Southwest  526

Hawaiian  173

British  125

Air France  057

KLM  074

Lufthansa  220

Iberia  075

Cathay  160

Singapore  618

Do you know what happened to #015, USAIR?  And was it also Allegheny?  

Edited by FetaCheese

10 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Are you talking "stopovers" or "connections"?  Do you REALLY have two stopovers?

You might read this thread and post for more clarification of the difference between those two terms and how they are used in the airline industry:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2876144-connection-time-advice/#comment-63830231

Because you the layman may think they are interchangeable, but they are two different animals.

No, not 2-stopovers. I know the difference, just wasn't using my full brain when I posted. Thanks for being patient with me FlyerTalker. I do have another question. I am very certain that I read somewhere that checked baggage was included with Viking Air but can't seem to find it anywhere. I contacted Viking via the chatbot but they misunderstood my ask and I didn't have time to try and clarify it. 

3 hours ago, junnipper said:

No, not 2-stopovers. I know the difference, just wasn't using my full brain when I posted. Thanks for being patient with me FlyerTalker. I do have another question. I am very certain that I read somewhere that checked baggage was included with Viking Air but can't seem to find it anywhere. I contacted Viking via the chatbot but they misunderstood my ask and I didn't have time to try and clarify it. 

No problem.  I write for the poster, and for the many readers.  And over the years, I have found that lots of problems with airlines occur over terminology, so I'm aiming to create well-informed consumers.

As for included luggage: That would be a condition of the fare basis that governs your specific ticket.  In general, and that is a very big assumption, bulk fare luggage allowances tend to track with similar fare buckets for published revenue tickets.  Meaning that there are not special "deals" made for bulk tickets that are different.

The only definitive source for that answer would be Viking - and I would want to see it in writing, rather than just a comment from an agent.  Further, I would have that printed out to take to any airport, and if dinged by an airline for a bag fee (if it was supposedly included), print the receipt for the charge and then dispute with Viking afterwards.

FWIW, the Viking terms and conditions state:  Airline-imposed baggage fees and other fees may apply and be charged by the air carrier at the time of service. (Please see above under “Potential Surcharges Based on Price of Fuel, Price of Airfare, and Currency Exchange Rate” for information relating to charges based on airfare price increases).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, junnipper said:

I am very certain that I read somewhere that checked baggage was included with Viking Air but can't seem to find it anywhere. I contacted Viking via the chatbot but they misunderstood my ask and I didn't have time to try and clarify it. 

We have used Viking Air three times and and it has always included at least one checked bag/person for international flights.  Here is a pdf that includes Viking's luggage allowance: https://docs.vikingcruises.com/pdf/2022_US_AIR_AirLuggageFee_210404.pdf

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Moonlion said:

We have used Viking Air three times and and it has always included at least one checked bag/person for international flights.  Here is a pdf that includes Viking's luggage allowance: https://docs.vikingcruises.com/pdf/2022_US_AIR_AirLuggageFee_210404.pdf

That pretty much tracks what you get on a published fare ticket.

31 minutes ago, Moonlion said:

The 2 keys phrases are "contact the airlines directly" and "most up to date".  Airlines keep changing.  We paid for checked bags on Jet Blue, Icelandair and Iberia.  I noticed on recent flight itinerary searches that there are often 3 classes of Economy on an airline each with more includeds and services the more you pay.  

12 hours ago, hersheyhughes said:

Do you still have to pay for air plus in order to change flights and carrier?

Thanks, kimberly

Our Viking agent told us we could save the Air Plus fee by waiting until Viking reserved our flights and then use MVJ to change them if we didn't like.  Doing a deviation to fly back 3 days later so had to pay anyways.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Our Viking agent told us we could save the Air Plus fee by waiting until Viking reserved our flights and then use MVJ to change them if we didn't like.  Doing a deviation to fly back 3 days later so had to pay anyways.

Agree. We did this too.

2 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Of course, the downside to this is that you are now at the mercy of whatever inventory is available at that point in time.

Save some money - run your risk.  Guess it's a matter of how you value both.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2022 at 7:05 AM, FlyerTalker said:

No problem.  I write for the poster, and for the many readers.  And over the years, I have found that lots of problems with airlines occur over terminology, so I'm aiming to create well-informed consumers.

As for included luggage: That would be a condition of the fare basis that governs your specific ticket.  In general, and that is a very big assumption, bulk fare luggage allowances tend to track with similar fare buckets for published revenue tickets.  Meaning that there are not special "deals" made for bulk tickets that are different.

The only definitive source for that answer would be Viking - and I would want to see it in writing, rather than just a comment from an agent.  Further, I would have that printed out to take to any airport, and if dinged by an airline for a bag fee (if it was supposedly included), print the receipt for the charge and then dispute with Viking afterwards.

FWIW, the Viking terms and conditions state:  Airline-imposed baggage fees and other fees may apply and be charged by the air carrier at the time of service. (Please see above under “Potential Surcharges Based on Price of Fuel, Price of Airfare, and Currency Exchange Rate” for information relating to charges based on airfare price increases).

Hi FlyerTalker -- I understand that the airline has the final say on baggage allowance, but what happens when code sharing airlines have different allowances?  Our first flight on a small plane ("Horizon, operated for Alaska," but with a Finnair flight # as well) has no weight limit on carryon -- just the dimensions, but our continuation on Finnair restricts carryon, including the personal item to 17 pounds -- one of the lowest allowances on the list.  Any idea whether we'll have a problem boarding the first actual Finnair flight? I've searched their website and google for a clue, but nothing definitive shows up.  Thanks!

45 minutes ago, KTRaveller said:

Hi FlyerTalker -- I understand that the airline has the final say on baggage allowance, but what happens when code sharing airlines have different allowances?  Our first flight on a small plane ("Horizon, operated for Alaska," but with a Finnair flight # as well) has no weight limit on carryon -- just the dimensions, but our continuation on Finnair restricts carryon, including the personal item to 17 pounds -- one of the lowest allowances on the list.  Any idea whether we'll have a problem boarding the first actual Finnair flight? I've searched their website and google for a clue, but nothing definitive shows up.  Thanks!

Let's break this down into two component - carryon and checked.

For carryon, the rules are determined by the operating carrier for each segment.  Which mean, you effectively have to follow the most restrictive rule to ensure you won't have a problem.  AS won't mind if you have a 30 pound bag, but AY may.  So unless you want to figure out what to do with the excess stuff part way through your trip, follow the most restrictive rule.

For checked, it is more complex.  It all depends on the actual agreement between the various airlines involved.  It could be the first carrier, could be the second, could be the "most significant carrier" or even something else.  Some airlines make it pretty easy to find out what rules apply.  Others are more opaque.

In your case, the AS website says: 

If your travel includes multiple tickets, and/or travel on more than one airline, your baggage fees and rules may be determined by the other airline. Please check your ticket, or call Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 to help determine which airline rules and fees apply to your journey.

So, I would be on the horn to AS to get the full scoop on your checked allowance and/or fees.

Edited by FlyerTalker
  • Like 1

On 8/25/2022 at 7:47 PM, FlyerTalker said:

Does anyone know if Viking contracts with Icelandair?  We will be on a Bergen  to Reykjavik cruise next summer and Icelandair flies nonstop to Reykjavik from our home airport.   I thought we might fly in a couple of days early and take advantage of a stopover in  Reykjavik before flying on to Bergen, and then just return home from Reykjavik at the end of the cruise.  Thanks!

4 hours ago, mom0f3 said:

Does anyone know if Viking contracts with Icelandair?  We will be on a Bergen  to Reykjavik cruise next summer and Icelandair flies nonstop to Reykjavik from our home airport.   I thought we might fly in a couple of days early and take advantage of a stopover in  Reykjavik before flying on to Bergen, and then just return home from Reykjavik at the end of the cruise.  Thanks!

Don't buy your air through Viking.  Just go straight to Icelandair and get your ticket there.

Why?  Because they can give you a stopover in Reykvavik on your way to Bergen, at no additional cost over the through ticket price.  You can stopover for up to seven days for free.  In addition, Icelandic owns a few hotels in Reykvavik and can give you a package of flights and hotel for far better than what you might get with Viking.  Plus you can add on tours as well.

Don't overthink the transfers part of the deal - the Flybus service to/from KEF is a great deal, and can take you straight to your hotels.  And in Bergen, it's only 12 miles from the airport to the center of town.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After seeing this thread, it prompted me to check on myvikingjourney for my sailing on 7 August 23. I wasn't expecting to see the flights there (just yet), but was alarmed to see a message saying flights will be allocated from May 9th 23.

That prompts a further concern in respect of parking and crazy pricing nearer the date.

Is that date purely a ticketing date, or are flights allocated sooner and just not ticked until that date.

Getting very wary now on cruise line air having been allocated flights in Silversea for next April that has a connecting flight in Seattle and Tokyo (cruise is Osaka to Seward) of 1 hour, which baring in mind are international connections with passport checks, baggage reclaim and 2 lots of security, is an impossible connection. SS are refusing to speak to my TA in respect of these impossible flights that would likely mean me missing boarding and 16 night cruise lost. They have slipped in a condition which says they cannot be held responsible for third party carriers. I partly get that, but I've concerns they are suggesting "not our fault" if I miss a connection, which frankly on this occasion is 100% their fault as it's an impossible connection. Seattle recommends a minimum of 3 hours for international connections. (And having missed a 4h15m connection in Atlanta after landing on time, I'm more inclined to want more than 3 hours!)

Luckily, the Viking flights are less complicated as they are just non stop (hopefully!) London to Reykjavik. Just a shame they only use Heathrow as that's a nightmare for parking.

On a side note.... What is V+ ?

3 hours ago, les37b said:

After seeing this thread, it prompted me to check on myvikingjourney for my sailing on 7 August 23. I wasn't expecting to see the flights there (just yet), but was alarmed to see a message saying flights will be allocated from May 9th 23.

That prompts a further concern in respect of parking and crazy pricing nearer the date.

Is that date purely a ticketing date, or are flights allocated sooner and just not ticked until that date.

Getting very wary now on cruise line air having been allocated flights in Silversea for next April that has a connecting flight in Seattle and Tokyo (cruise is Osaka to Seward) of 1 hour, which baring in mind are international connections with passport checks, baggage reclaim and 2 lots of security, is an impossible connection. SS are refusing to speak to my TA in respect of these impossible flights that would likely mean me missing boarding and 16 night cruise lost. They have slipped in a condition which says they cannot be held responsible for third party carriers. I partly get that, but I've concerns they are suggesting "not our fault" if I miss a connection, which frankly on this occasion is 100% their fault as it's an impossible connection. Seattle recommends a minimum of 3 hours for international connections. (And having missed a 4h15m connection in Atlanta after landing on time, I'm more inclined to want more than 3 hours!)

Luckily, the Viking flights are less complicated as they are just non stop (hopefully!) London to Reykjavik. Just a shame they only use Heathrow as that's a nightmare for parking.

On a side note.... What is V+ ?

Air plus allows you to work directly with viking to arrange your flights much sooner than the date listed.  It sounds like it would be worth it for you.  Research the flights that work for you, call viking and ask if those are acceptable in the included flights.  If so they will place you on those flights but not ticket until you tell them to or around 75 days prior.  We chose to have them ticket us early as we loved the flights we chose and they did not incur any additional cost.  Sometimes the cost will go up so have several flights in mind that are acceptable to you.  The cost of viking air plus is around 100 us dollars pp (I think).  If you want to arrive early or fly into a different city that will also incur an additional cost

Hope that helps!

On 8/26/2022 at 11:00 AM, Moonlion said:

I had to pay $30 each for 2 checked bags Montreal to Boston with Viking Air.

1 hour ago, shadowlover said:

Air plus allows you to work directly with viking to arrange your flights much sooner than the date listed.  It sounds like it would be worth it for you.  Research the flights that work for you, call viking and ask if those are acceptable in the included flights.  If so they will place you on those flights but not ticket until you tell them to or around 75 days prior.  We chose to have them ticket us early as we loved the flights we chose and they did not incur any additional cost.  Sometimes the cost will go up so have several flights in mind that are acceptable to you.  The cost of viking air plus is around 100 us dollars pp (I think).  If you want to arrive early or fly into a different city that will also incur an additional cost

Hope that helps!

Viking Air Plus is $50 pp and a Deviation (early or later) is $100 pp.  I thought Deviation included being able to work with Viking Air Plus but I found out yesterday it does not.

1 hour ago, philw1776 said:

I had to pay $30 each for 2 checked bags Montreal to Boston with Viking Air.

Many airlines do not consider USA-Canada to be "international" in terms of baggage allowance.  Same with flights USA-Mexico and USA-Caribbean.

And please, yes we know that these flights cross borders.  But this is the internal definition for fare rules.  Which are part of what govern the contract you have with the airline.

3 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Viking Air Plus is $50 pp and a Deviation (early or later) is $100 pp.  I thought Deviation included being able to work with Viking Air Plus but I found out yesterday it does not.

It is 50-100 depending on destination.  Deviation is 100-150 depending on destination.