Complete ArriveCAN

Bucketlist22

We’re having trouble completing ArriveCAN. It’s asking for an address but wants a Canadian province. We’re cruising out of Vancouver but not staying anywhere in Canada. 

What do we put for an address? Any help is greatly appreciated. We sail tomorrow. Thx

We wrote the name of the ship, Nieuw Amsterdam.  But No one at our departure airport (Las Vegas) wanted to see the ArriveCan. When we arrived in Vancouver by plane on July 9, no Canadian authority wanted to see it. When we boarded the ship on July 10, no one wanted to see it.   HAL upon boarding wanted to see our paper vax record, and the recent pcr on our cell phone.  

34 minutes ago, Balliett said:

We wrote the name of the ship, Nieuw Amsterdam.  But No one at our departure airport (Las Vegas) wanted to see the ArriveCan. When we arrived in Vancouver by plane on July 9, no Canadian authority wanted to see it. When we boarded the ship on July 10, no one wanted to see it.   HAL upon boarding wanted to see our paper vax record, and the recent pcr on our cell phone.  

Nobody asked to see it because it's attached to your passport and comes up on their screens that you have completed the process. I'll be heading to Canada tomorrow and have completed my ArriveCan. They won't ask to see it but if I hadn't done it I'd be pulled over and denied entry until it was done. 

Karen

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Balliett said:

Seriously?  You were required to have PAPER vax record to board in Vancouver?  I'm asking beause I'll be boarding Zuiderdam next week in Vancouver and hadn't planned on bringing ANY paper, just Verifly and ArriveCAN.  This will be my fourth cruise since the pause and so far I have never been asked to show any paper, just the digital stuff (vax and test results).  However, NONE of the three previous cruises were departing from the Vancouver terminal.

7 hours ago, AV8rix said:

Seriously?  You were required to have PAPER vax record to board in Vancouver?  I'm asking beause I'll be boarding Zuiderdam next week in Vancouver and hadn't planned on bringing ANY paper, just Verifly and ArriveCAN.  This will be my fourth cruise since the pause and so far I have never been asked to show any paper, just the digital stuff (vax and test results).  However, NONE of the three previous cruises were departing from the Vancouver terminal.

I am old school and have traveled ALOT, both on business and for cruises.  I have experienced far too many "issues" with reservations and the like, so I always bring paper backup.  It does not take up much room and weight, plus if you do not need it just discard at your convenience afterwards.  Just one time needing it will more than make up for the inconvenience, trust me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, AV8rix said:

Ok, I will say this based on a lot of travel experience over the past year.  We are avid users of our iPhones so do have the usual forms and documents on our phone (and know how to access that stuff).  But whenever possible we also print out hard copies of all the key documents (test results, boarding passes) and have our actual CDC Vaccine cards at hand.  Why?  Depending on where you are and who you are dealing with, a hard copy or the phone might be very advantageous.    As to Verifly, we have generally found it a waste of time since most of the time we have been asked to produce the underlying docs (ie. vaccine cards and test results).    I understand that some folks are stubborn and want to think their way is the best way, but these days a smart traveler should be prepared for just about anything weird.    As a simple example, the last time we were in Greece we had to complete the Greek Government's online PLF info which did generate the needed QR Code screen sent to our phones.  But when walking through ATH (after arriving from Turkey) we were stopped by the authorities who demanded to see our vaccine and test documents.  When I showed them the required PLF QR code the official just waved it off and asked to see the underlying documents (which we had at hand).   Other's who did not have the actual documents handy were pushed aside and had to fumble through all their stuff looking for the documents on their phone or in their bags.

So here's the story!  The old Boy Scout saying of "Be prepared" is the best advice for any traveler these days (or any day).  For us the name of the game is having what is necessary to avoid unnecessary delays

So, next month we will be driving up to Canada for a few days.  We will certainly complete the ArriveCan app because not doing that might turn out to cause a hassle and delays.  We will also have our Passports and vaccination cards at hand.  Whatever they want at the border we will produce (quickly with a smile).  Yes, it does suck but whatever works....works.

Hank

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

And I had my cell phone end up in the------toilet.  This was in the U.S., I had no backup phone numbers but was able to get to a Verizon store that morning to replace the phone including the chip. Taught me a very important lesson.  Something can happen in the blink of an eye to all the documents on phones, iPads.  Always travel with paper copies of your documents; it's so much easier than standing there trying to check-in and be fumbling with the smart phone trying to find document after document--and I'd rather not be behind someone doing that!  Takes forever.  And we've checked in 8 times since restart of cruising.

At one check-in, person at the door asked to see all documents before she'd let us into the building to actually begin checking in.  Requirements are all over the place.

Edited by 12cruise2
  • Like 1

Just spent an hour on the computer with the difficulty lying in trying to upload the PDF file of the vaccination certificate.  Duh--be sure to press the plus sign in the box where it gives two boxes to upload the PDF certificates to activate the box BEFORE dragging the file into the box (if you have two certificates for one person).  I don't do much uploading and haven't ever had to press a plus sign to activate the upload process.  Just dragging over the PDF file alone doesn't work.  Also, use Google Chrome and turn off any ad blockers you may be using.

Edited by 12cruise2

I did this for a cruise this spring. Was ready to pull my hair out. Found out that after doing on my computer instead of the cell phone, none of the info I entered transferred to the phone. Thankfully I had printed out hard copies. Hopefully this has changed.

22 hours ago, Balliett said:

which begs the question "When will it just go away"?   I suppose they know by scanning the passport but still just annoying document/app.