90% FCC - Trip Insurance

cruiseny4life

Hi all - my husband found one steal of a bargain today on NCL's website. Since we don't have unlimited PTO, we're considering canceling our August 29th cruise. We have the trip insurance through NCL where we'll receive 90% of the cruise fare as FCC. The husband reached out to his PCC, so we're waiting for her to get in touch with him. In the meantime, I'd love to hear what you all think about the following questions:

1. How long would it take for the 90% FCC to post to our account? In a perfect world, we'd like to use it to book the new cruise which leaves in early September. In a not-so perfect world, we'll apply it to the balance of our March cruise.

2. Will NCL refund the taxes, port fees? 

3. Would we get a refund on the Free at Sea gratuities?

4. Would NCL refund our Free at Sea Plus upgrade? 

5. Other than the 10% we don't get back, can you think of other costs that we would be out? I know we can cancel shore excursions and we'll be out the cost of the actual trip insurance (since we'd be using it). 

I know I'm annoying, but really do appreciate any answers you all can provide, especially since this is happening in the very, very near term. 

Many thanks!!

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

My PCC has told me that these are refunded if you cancel a cruise, even at the very last minute.  Also the daily gratuities, if you pre-paid them.  (Sorry I can't help with the other questions.)

3 minutes ago, vacation44 said:

I am a little confused about the 90%FFC credit since you are cancelling because you want to go on another cruise instead.   I did not think this was an option.

With NCL, if you choose the Platinum Travel Insurance, you will receive 90% of your cruise fare as FCC if you cancel for any reason. Most commercial travel insurance plans only allow up to a 50% refund if you cancel for any reason, so that's why we went with Platinum. 

The husband is going to have a super detailed conversation with our PCC to be sure we do everything right and lose the minimal amount of money.

Thanks @Turtles06. That's what I would have assumed, but it's helpful to have the additional information!

• Thanks 1

I am just mentioning this because both of you seem to be New York state residents (as am I).  I too noticed the "Cancel for any reason credit feature" and thought it was a great deal so I bought it.  When I actually printed out the policy (21 pages long) on the second page there is the following wording:  "Please note:  Residents of the state of New York are not required to purchase the BookSafe Travel Protection Plan in order to purchase the Cancel for Any Reason Credit Feature.  Please contact 1-888-722-2195."  Of course, you only receive this information AFTER you have already bought the policy.  I did not call the number yet but you may want to call before you buy.  I am curious what you will be told.

Thanks @Travelling2Some! We wanted the other plan too, so were ok with both. But, that is really helpful for future bookings!! And you're right - I'm from Central NY. So, hello fellow NY'er!

As a follow up to this: the husband and I decided to cancel our five day 8/29 sailing to Bermuda today and book the 9/3 sailing to Bermuda/Great Stirrup Cay/Orlando. To answer the questions I posed above:

1. How long would it take for the 90% FCC to post to our account? In a perfect world, we'd like to use it to book the new cruise which leaves in early September. In a not-so perfect world, we'll apply it to the balance of our March cruise. At least 30 days, so we had to pay out of pocket for the 9/3 cruise, but hey, we'll pay for the March cruise with FCC.

2. Will NCL refund the taxes, port fees? Yes, as per @Turtles06

3. Would we get a refund on the Free at Sea gratuities? Yes, as per @Turtles06

4. Would NCL refund our Free at Sea Plus upgrade? Yes.

5. Other than the 10% we don't get back, can you think of other costs that we would be out? I know we can cancel shore excursions and we'll be out the cost of the actual trip insurance (since we'd be using it). No other costs.

I've just read the platinum insurance, what does it mean by: "Norwegian Cruise Line will provide guests who are denied due to a non-covered reason with a future cruise credit equal to 90% of the non-refundable cancellation charge"?

8 hours ago, bortman23 said:

I've just read the platinum insurance, what does it mean by: "Norwegian Cruise Line will provide guests who are denied due to a non-covered reason with a future cruise credit equal to 90% of the non-refundable cancellation charge"?

We cancelled our cruise yesterday at 18 days prior to the cruise. Since we were very much inside the final payment date, when NCL begins penalizing customers for cancelling, we lost 100% of our payment to NCL for our cruise.

We have trip insurance, and the added "cancel for any reason" rider. To have our fee loss covered, we have to submit a claim to AON. My assumption is AON will deny our claim as we don't have a covered medical reason (or other reason) for cancelling. Then NCL will step in and provide us 90% of the cruise fare in "future cruise credit (FCC)." We will then use this 90% FCC toward our March cruise.

Here's the cancellation fee link: https://www.ncl.com/about/cancellation-fee-schedule

We definitely gave NCL a little bit of money. I know we'll lose 10% of the fare, the insurance payment, and probably some other ancillary costs, but in the end we'll wind up happy as the cruise we booked on is much cheaper (and longer) than our originally planned cruise.

image.thumb.png.8c2e8a68594edadd235f5872f9613d9d.png

@graphicguy - I know you appreciate a good deal. Check out the sailing on 9/3 from NYC to Bermuda/Bahamas/Orlando. It's nine days and for just $300 more we're going to be sailing in a Haven Penthouse, rather than a Haven Spa Suite. $300 less for four more days, plus two additional ports of call.

Sure, given the cancellation fee, probable additional Bermuda Travel Authorization fee, and some other minor costs, we'll be paying more, but not much more.

Here's a link to the direct page: https://www.ncl.com/cruises/9-day-bermuda-and-bahamas-round-trip-new-york-GETAWAY9NYCPCVNPIWRFNYC?destinations=4294961649&sailMonths=4294940496&numberOfGuests=4294953449&sortBy=featured&autoPopulate=f&from=resultpage&itineraryCode=GETAWAY9NYCPCVNPIWRFNYC

Here's a screenshot of the Haven prices alone which are a great bargain!

image.thumb.png.ae462d4439b48b1892f0b1698f36805a.png

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

@graphicguy - I know you appreciate a good deal. Check out the sailing on 9/3 from NYC to Bermuda/Bahamas/Orlando. It's nine days and for just $300 more we're going to be sailing in a Haven Penthouse, rather than a Haven Spa Suite. $300 less for four more days, plus two additional ports of call.

Sure, given the cancellation fee, probable additional Bermuda Travel Authorization fee, and some other minor costs, we'll be paying more, but not much more.

Here's a link to the direct page: https://www.ncl.com/cruises/9-day-bermuda-and-bahamas-round-trip-new-york-GETAWAY9NYCPCVNPIWRFNYC?destinations=4294961649&sailMonths=4294940496&numberOfGuests=4294953449&sortBy=featured&autoPopulate=f&from=resultpage&itineraryCode=GETAWAY9NYCPCVNPIWRFNYC

Great deal!   We leave in less than three weeks on the five day Joy and would also switch if we could.   

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

You’re killing me.  I have about $500 FCC from my last sailing’s price drop.  I was looking at an east coast/Canada cruise this Fall.   I was actually thinking about going the opposite direction, and seeing if I could find the least expensive cabin that included all the perks.  NOw, you show me this…….ARRRRGGGHHH!  LOL!

On 8/11/2022 at 10:09 AM, cruiseny4life said:

Hi all - my husband found one steal of a bargain today on NCL's website. Since we don't have unlimited PTO, we're considering canceling our August 29th cruise. We have the trip insurance through NCL where we'll receive 90% of the cruise fare as FCC. The husband reached out to his PCC, so we're waiting for her to get in touch with him. In the meantime, I'd love to hear what you all think about the following questions:

1. How long would it take for the 90% FCC to post to our account? In a perfect world, we'd like to use it to book the new cruise which leaves in early September. In a not-so perfect world, we'll apply it to the balance of our March cruise.

4. Would NCL refund our Free at Sea Plus upgrade? 

5. Other than the 10% we don't get back, can you think of other costs that we would be out? I know we can cancel shore excursions and we'll be out the cost of the actual trip insurance (since we'd be using it). 

I know I'm annoying, but really do appreciate any answers you all can provide, especially since this is happening in the very, very near term. 

Many thanks!!

1. NCL purchased an insurance policy on your behalf. When you cancel, you need to open a case with the Aon insurance company and send them a claim for cancellation. Aon could take a few weeks to a few months to process the claim. They will eventually reject the claim. Once you get a denied claim from Aon, you send that to NCL who will post a 90% FCC in a few weeks to a few months. 

2. 3. 4. Taxes, port fees, any paid add on will be refunded to your credit card. basically, the only thing not refunded is the base cruise fare. 

5. You do not get the cost of the insurance back. 

On 8/12/2022 at 11:20 AM, BirdTravels said:

1. NCL purchased an insurance policy on your behalf. When you cancel, you need to open a case with the Aon insurance company and send them a claim for cancellation. Aon could take a few weeks to a few months to process the claim. They will eventually reject the claim. Once you get a denied claim from Aon, you send that to NCL who will post a 90% FCC in a few weeks to a few months. 

2. 3. 4. Taxes, port fees, any paid add on will be refunded to your credit card. basically, the only thing not refunded is the base cruise fare. 

5. You do not get the cost of the insurance back. 

Thank you!

On 8/12/2022 at 11:00 AM, graphicguy said:

Alaska cruises aren't bad, either.  But, as we close in on Fall, their weather gets iffy.

Still, the Getaway 9 day Bermuda cruise is a killer deal.

And it is even better! If I wanted to be at the front of the ship, I'd jump on that DOS now, but I've seen too many videos and heard too many stories about the wind tearing the balcony apart, so no thank you.

We'll stick with our Penthouse for now, but dang...for less than 3k you can sail in the DOS for nine days!!!!

image.thumb.png.14b300c9a5401a347e13c8b88d0adb46.png

36 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

And it is even better! If I wanted to be at the front of the ship, I'd jump on that DOS now, but I've seen too many videos and heard too many stories about the wind tearing the balcony apart, so no thank you.

We'll stick with our Penthouse for now, but dang...for less than 3k you can sail in the DOS for nine days!!!!

image.thumb.png.14b300c9a5401a347e13c8b88d0adb46.png

Funny...I just looked at that a couple of hours ago.

Would love to have jumped on it.  Mentioned, I'm in my nephew's wedding on the 10th.  Wonder how mad the family would be if I didn't show?  LOL!