Cruise Ends in Oahu

Blizzard56

We are first time visitors to Hawaii.  We are arriving October 1, 2023 after a 9 day cruise from BC.   

Our ship, Celebrity Solstice, makes stops at Hilo, Kailua, Lahania and ends in Honolulu.  We will stay on the island for a few days.  

We are looking for recommendations on where to stay.  Should we stay in a resort, on the ocean, or a VRBO home and where should we stay?

We are looking to explore the island and see the different areas of Oahu.  Not sure where to start....any help would be grateful.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Blizzard56 said:

Should we stay in a resort, on the ocean, or a VRBO home and where should we stay?

Agree with staying in Waikiki-- after being in some of the other islands coming back to a bustling city on a very pretty beach is a lot of fun. What is your budget? Happy to make recs but would help to get some sort of idea of what you are comfortable spending on it. Given you are on a cruise for 9 days it sounds like you are definitely comfortable in a resort environment-- I would do that over a VRBO. Waikiki has some gems right on the beach. 

43 minutes ago, Blizzard56 said:

We are looking to explore the island and see the different areas of Oahu.

Oahu is super easy to explore-- can be driven around in a day and obviously you can slow that down to explore if you want to. We sometimes like driving up to the North Shore to Turtle Bay Resort for lunch and then drive back along the eastern coast road of the island back to Honolulu. Takes about 1.5 hours up to Turtle Bay and then about the same to get back. 

Do yourself a favor though-- only rent a car for the day(s) you need it. Parking is limited and expensive in Waikiki and it wont make any sense to pay for the rental and parking on a day you're just going to kick back with some mai tais at the hotel pool. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

Agree with staying in Waikiki-- after being in some of the other islands coming back to a bustling city on a very pretty beach is a lot of fun. What is your budget? Happy to make recs but would help to get some sort of idea of what you are comfortable spending on it. Given you are on a cruise for 9 days it sounds like you are definitely comfortable in a resort environment-- I would do that over a VRBO. Waikiki has some gems right on the beach. 

I would love to stay in a resort....what places could you recommend?

33 minutes ago, Blizzard56 said:

It really runs the gamut in Waikiki. There's everything form budget friendly places that are a few blocks off the beach to luxury resort properties charging $600-700 a night. Will really depend on what your budget is and what amenities/location you want. 

On the higher end of things my personal favorites are The Royal Hawaiian and if money is no object Halekulani. They both have their plusses and minuses. The Royal Hawaiian is a little less expensive (can be had for $300-400 depending on when) and a little bit less luxe (when compared to Halekulani, RH is luxe by most other standards) but is right on the beach and oozes old Hawaiian vibes from the 1920's and '30s.

Halekulani is sort of at a Four Seasons level in terms of service, amenities, and accommodation. The downside is that the beach in front of it is eroded and there is a little dinky one off to the side-- nothing like what The Royal Hawaiian has a few doors down. 

There are several resorts along the beach that are part of Marriott and Hilton so if points redemption is your thing theres opportunity for that. The above two are my personal favorites though. 

5 hours ago, Blizzard56 said:

We are first time visitors to Hawaii.  We are arriving October 1, 2023 after a 9 day cruise from BC.   Our ship, Celebrity Solstice, makes stops at Hilo, Kailua, Lahania and ends in Honolulu.  We will stay on the island for a few days.  We are looking for recommendations on where to stay.  Should we stay in a resort, on the ocean, or a VRBO home and where should we stay? We are looking to explore the island and see the different areas of Oahu.  Not sure where to start....any help would be grateful.  

Your second stop on Hawaii Island (The Big Island) is Kailua-Kona and usually just called Kona. Kailua is a town on Oahu.

As to where to stay on Oahu, it depends on your budget and desires. There are few "resorts" on Oahu because the land is so expensive. What is your nightly budget in U.S. dollars? What do you want to do/see?

On 8/12/2022 at 3:33 PM, Blizzard56 said:

Not many resorts on the South Shore. Maybe the Kahala Resort, Halekulani, Royal Hawaiian or Hilton Hawaiian Village. The only places I'd stay at the Hilton are the Rainbow Tower or Ali'i Tower.

• Like 1

If staying at Halekulani or close by, would recommend having dinner in the informal open-air restaurant at this hotel, House Without a Key.  It's by the water and has nightly Hawaiian music and hula performances. 

• Like 2

On 8/12/2022 at 5:33 PM, Blizzard56 said:

We are first time visitors to Hawaii.  We are arriving October 1, 2023 after a 9 day cruise from BC.   

Our ship, Celebrity Solstice, makes stops at Hilo, Kailua, Lahania and ends in Honolulu.  We will stay on the island for a few days.  

We are looking for recommendations on where to stay.  Should we stay in a resort, on the ocean, or a VRBO home and where should we stay?

We are looking to explore the island and see the different areas of Oahu.  Not sure where to start....any help would be grateful.  

We're on this cruise too and plan to spend 4 nights post-cruise. Also interested in any suggestions! We were also looking at the Outrigger Resort/Hotel on Waikiki beach! Mosey on over to the informal roll call if you dare! We already purchased ticket for a Pearl Harbor tour on Monday, October 2nd, since I heard they sell out quickly! Considering also purchasing tickets for Chief's luau, which will open up for booking 5 months pre-cruise! Maybe we'll see you on the ship or out there somewhere! Cheers!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, SilkySal said:

Considering also purchasing tickets for Chief's luau, which will open up for booking 5 months pre-cruise!

Before you schlepp all the way out to Kapolei, look at Experience Nutridge.

https://www.experiencenutridge.com/

If you have any DOD connections, look at Hale Koa.

https://www.halekoa.com/experiences/events/hale-koa-luau

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, SilkySal said:

No DOD connections for us. How far would we be schlepping to Kapolei?😏

It is about 25 miles from Waikiki to Wet 'n Wild, where the Chief's Luau is and it is at the worst time of day to be leaving urban Honolulu.

• Thanks 1

In the Kapolei area there is the KoOlina resort. There’s a Marriott timeshare  which you can rent by the night, Four Seasons hotel, Disney resort (available on Costco travel) as well as VRBO. We like the location, easy enough to go to Waikiki for a day, Pearl Harbor, Northshore. Calm lagoons for swimming.

Waikiki is great if you like a city vibe,  we stay there for a night or 2 post cruise but otherwise prefer a more relaxing environment.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, lovecruzin said:

In the Kapolei area there is the KoOlina resort. There’s a Marriott timeshare  which you can rent by the night, Four Seasons hotel, Disney resort (available on Costco travel) as well as VRBO. We like the location, easy enough to go to Waikiki for a day, Pearl Harbor, Northshore. Calm lagoons for swimming.

It is not easy to get to Waikiki or Pearl Harbor or the iconic sights in Downtown Honolulu from Ko Olina. It puts you in one of the worst traffic zones in the U.S. Ko Olina is at its best when you plan on not leaving.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, scottca075 said:

It is not easy to get to Waikiki or Pearl Harbor or the iconic sights in Downtown Honolulu from Ko Olina. It puts you in one of the worst traffic zones in the U.S. Ko Olina is at its best when you plan on not leaving.

That has not been my experience unless traveling to Waikiki after 2-3pm

A previous poster mentioned the Chiefs Luau so thats why I suggested staying in that area.

For a point of reference, currently google maps shows 30 min and 13 miles to PH from Waikiki and 23 min/17 miles from KoOlina.

1 hour ago, lovecruzin said:

A previous poster mentioned the Chiefs Luau so thats why I suggested staying in that area.

For a point of reference, currently google maps shows 30 min and 13 miles to PH from Waikiki and 23 min/17 miles from KoOlina.

You have it completely backwards. Ko Olina and Kapolei are in the inbound commute route so traffic is horrid 7AM to maybe as late as 10AM.

For a point of reference, Google maps is not accurate and it is Saturday.

1 hour ago, scottca075 said:

You have it completely backwards. Ko Olina and Kapolei are in the inbound commute route so traffic is horrid 7AM to maybe as late as 10AM.

For a point of reference, Google maps is not accurate and it is Saturday.

You’re right about commute traffic.  However, I have done the drive at least 10 times from Ko'olina to Waikiki for dinner and have always had issues with traffic.

You’re a very helpful contributor, much more a active then I am. If my input based on experience differs from you it doesn't make it any less valuable or wrong.

• Like 1

Ko Olina has its place and purposes. I've been staying there since the Ihilani opened in 1993, stayed in every iteration of that hotel since then and we love Aulani. But Ko Olina isn't a substitute for Waikiki or most first time visitors; it puts them too far away from the sights most want to see. If I wanted to flop at a resort in Hawaii for a week, Ko Olina wouldn't be it, and probably not Oahu, I'd probably pick Kauai.

As I said, I like Ko Olina, but I'd choose the Kahala Resort long before I'd choose the Four Seasons if I wanted a quiet experience.

If I had Disney or Marriott points, I'd have no problem doing a week at Ko Olina, but again, it is not a place I'd ever recommend for a first time Oahu visitor. There are not right and wrong answers, every poster has to evaluate what they want and look for that which fits the best for them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lovecruzin said:

So your timing is a Saturday afternoon. The poster you quoted was more about weekday afternoons. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

So your timing is a Saturday afternoon. The poster you quoted was more about weekday afternoons. 

Last I checked the OP arrives on a Sat. 

I merely offered KoOlina as a suggestion away from the touristy Waikiki.

btw was in Petaluma last weekend for the Petaluma gap wind to wine festival 😁 

• Like 2

OP arrives in Honolulu on October 1, 2023, which is Sunday. Isn't it? We are also on that cruise, so arrive Sunday as well! We'll be going to Pearl Harbor on Monday for an all day tour and may schedule the luau on Wednesday (Chief's is closed Tuesdays). Really want to stay at Outrigger but also researching some others, preferably on Waikiki Beach. Thanks!

Edited by SilkySal
add
  • Like 1