Anyone back from Alaska recently?

Lois R

Just curious if anyone has returned from an Alaskan cruise recently and if so, your thoughts about it?  I know there was that review from June but just wondering if there is something more current? I leave a week from tomorrow for the land trip to Denali and then sailing from Seward to Vancouver.  Any insights would be greatly appreciated....how did embarkation/disembarkation go.........did the Arrive Can work easily?  I have filled out what I can so far but I will have to fill out the rest of it while on my land trip since it has to be within 72 hours of sailing...........

Also, if you have done the land portion, do they offer bottled water throughout the trip? 

Thanks for the help.

Hi Lois,

I have filled out most of the ARRIVCAN forms.  There were two screens that I ran into a problem:

1. It will not let you fill in the arrival in Canada until 72 hours prior to scheduled arrival in Canada, so that will have to be done towards the end of the cruise.

2. There is a screen asking where you will be staying in Canada upon arrival. There is not an option for " transiting thru" so I picked "other" and put in the address of the Vancouver Cruise Terminal.

It then gave me a receipt with a QR code.

Marc

53 minutes ago, Raptordash said:

Hi Lois,

I have filled out most of the ARRIVCAN forms.  There were two screens that I ran into a problem:

1. It will not let you fill in the arrival in Canada until 72 hours prior to scheduled arrival in Canada, so that will have to be done towards the end of the cruise.

2. There is a screen asking where you will be staying in Canada upon arrival. There is not an option for " transiting thru" so I picked "other" and put in the address of the Vancouver Cruise Terminal.

It then gave me a receipt with a QR code.

Marc

Hi Marc, you already got the Code? I thought that didn't come till the 72 hour point. I will have to go back again and find the screen in your point 2. Thanks.

Hi Marc, I must be looking at the wrong place. I can't find anything about where you are staying.....

And the first page only let's me put in Country of original departure. The items below it have later dates so can't fill out those either. 

Lois, it sounds like you have created your ArriveCan account.  Have you uploaded your vaccination proof?  If so, that is all you can do now.  The remainder will need to wait until at least 72 hrs. prior to arrival in Canada.  Having used the App several times, it is really not a problem.  If you want, you can do a trial run using the dates that the App provides now, and you will be able to see the rest of the screens, just don't hit the "submit" button at the end.  You can trash the trial run and it will not affect your account.  It is strange that there is no place to indicate "in-transit".  Others have used the terminal address I believe.  Actually Silversea should have experience with this so should be able to advise. 

I think you will be on Silver Dawn in Jan. or Feb?  We will be on from Jan. 23 so hope to meet you! - Naomi

It was over a month ago for me but I do recall we, and everyone else on our bus, were unable to put a US address for final destination so we all just used the airport address. No one actually scanned our QR code. 

12 minutes ago, netpj said:

Lois, it sounds like you have created your ArriveCan account.  Have you uploaded your vaccination proof?  If so, that is all you can do now.  The remainder will need to wait until at least 72 hrs. prior to arrival in Canada.  Having used the App several times, it is really not a problem.  If you want, you can do a trial run using the dates that the App provides now, and you will be able to see the rest of the screens, just don't hit the "submit" button at the end.  You can trash the trial run and it will not affect your account.  It is strange that there is no place to indicate "in-transit".  Others have used the terminal address I believe.  Actually Silversea should have experience with this so should be able to advise. 

I think you will be on Silver Dawn in Jan. or Feb?  We will be on from Jan. 23 so hope to meet you! - Naomi

Hi Naomi, yes, I was able to upload my vax card and passport information.  I decided to call the number in Canada on the website and the gal said I would have to fill it out twice😮.......they want to know when I am leaving the states and then go back in and change the date 72 hours before entering Canada. Why should it matter when I am leaving home? I am doing a land trip to Denali first...........

Anyway, I am on the Dawn in January but not on your sailing. I am going on the 5th.

Thanks for the help🙂

17 minutes ago, gcornell said:

It was over a month ago for me but I do recall we, and everyone else on our bus, were unable to put a US address for final destination so we all just used the airport address. No one actually scanned our QR code. 

Hi, would you remember if they had bottled water on the train/bus when you were on the land trip?

If anything has changed since June it is only to make things easier. The only real nuisance back in June was arranging a Covid test before boarding.

ArriveCan is straightforward, particularly by comparison with anything involving the UK or British Air.

About address- on the ArriveCan website they specifically say to make "a" choice if none of the programmed ones are appropriate. I picked a randomly chosen address in Canada.

As a few others have said, you can't enter a US address, so I used Vancouver Cruise Terminal  address.

Also, as someone above wrote, one screen asks what date you are boarding the ship, but only gives a few day window. I was playing around and put in 8/13/22, but then I couldn't delete it, so just kept on with the screens and received a QR code.  

In reality, it doesn't seem like the Canadian authorities at the airport care.

10 hours ago, Lois R said:

they want to know when I am leaving the states and then go back in and change the date 72 hours before entering Canada. Why should it matter when I am leaving home? I am doing a land trip to Denali first

Lois, I'd just note that leaving your home and flying to Alaska for your land tour is not "leaving the states"! 😉 

6 hours ago, cruiseej said:

Lois, I'd just note that leaving your home and flying to Alaska for your land tour is not "leaving the states"! 😉 

Good morning🙂.........I know that, I made a typo........I even asked the gal on the phone about that too.

I told her I was flying within my own country.