Itinerary just changed - anyone visited Helsinki?

I’m currently on the Voyager of the Seas and was just in Helsinki 2 days ago. We didn’t dock till 12 noon and although the ship only had to sail 50miles to the next stop, they decided to roll up the gangway at 7:30pm.  I think you COULD do HoHo or DIY - the HoHo stop is literally at the ship: (pic 1 and 2), but we had such a fabulous time with a private guide Paolo, I wouldn’t be a good CCer if I don’t put in an honest rec here (3).  We hit all the “good stops” (Sibelius, Rock church, esplanade and markets, senate square) plus a few authentic “local” hangouts that I can’t give a spoiler here - he’s full of info (and I have already read Rick Steves start to finish).   The library is my kids’ (9,13) favourite.

He also saved us valuable time (at his own cost - he makes less as he “downgraded” our booking) to tip us off that there had just been a bad fire in the Center of Porvoo last week - he sent me a WhatsApp days before port , with photo and news links.  All thru our day there were numerous DIYers who came up to us (him) to ask for directions and recommendations that he gladly helped.  

if you don’t think you would be Helsinki again anytime soon then make the most out of your half day - you’ve travelled all this way, we are glad we did.  We did DIY with almost all other ports but are super happy with Paolo - tell him baldtomato and her kids sent you!

Edit - idk why the first pic is upside down, but that’s the HoHo stop, you get the idea!

99EA1C76-5EA3-4D43-A02B-220819201005.thumb.jpeg.d891460bbee96292f914ef62a06ca925.jpeg

A11710B5-C6EF-442B-9733-6D2EEC105735.jpeg

D9DAD522-F807-489F-A5A3-E98BA195E147.jpeg

Edited by baldtomato
Pic posted upside down…!?

Helsinki has a great public transportation. The day ticket is 8 Euro pP.

Day tickets | Tickets and fares | HSL.fi

You can take the tram to downtown (or bus - depending on where you dock). The cathedral square, market hall and Upensiky cathedral (Russian orthodox) are within walking distance. There´s anonther tram line which circles the city. This one also gets you to the Rock Church. The Chapel of Silence next to the impressive Russian Art Deco central station is also pretty nice. Lot´s of Russian Art Deco buldings in the city center.

steamboats

On 8/15/2022 at 5:33 PM, rritter25 said:

We just got notified that the itinerary changed on our trip departing Sunday, August 21st on Voyager of the Seas. We were supposed to visit Kotka and they just substituted Helsinki Finland. That is OK, however that doesn't leave me any time to research before we leave the U.S. on Wednesday. If anyone has recommendations of "must-see" places or things to do while there, please let me know. TIA 😃

We've been to Helsinki twice and enjoyed it both times.  The first was on Explorer in '19 and the second on Voyager in July.  We basically did our own thing.  Most likely you'll dock at the new cruise terminal (which is a pity as it's away from the market square.  They provided free shuttle however so its more a time inconvenience.  Our first trip, we docked by the Market Square and took a boat tour around the city.  It was very beautiful and relaxing.  We finished by walking about the Market Square for crafts and walking up the Esplanade.  The second trip in July, we docked at the new terminal.  We took the shuttle again to the Market Square.  We walked about and went up the Esplanade had some lunch and ice cream and enjoyed the day.  We enjoyed our time there, the people are very friendly.