Using a birth certificate on a closed loop cruise

neverlaysup

2 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Any document questions always go to a supervisor, or even to the ship's Document Officer.  You would never be denied by a check-in agent alone.  :  )

I completely agree, but it's exactly that sort of escalation I would like to avoid.  If I can just bring out a couple pieces of paper instead of going through that rigmarole, then I'll happily do so.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Just a point of clarification - all this talk about traveling on a closed loop cruise just with a birth certificate is only for US born citizens leaving and returning to the same US port (closed loop cruise).  

To paint a complete picture if you were born outside the USA but were a US citizen at birth (common examples: children of parents in the military stationed in a foreign country or children of parents in the diplomatic service) you can use your Consular Report of Birth Abroad on a closed loop cruise in the same way someone born in the US can use their birth certificate. Further, if you're a naturalized US citizen you can use your Certificate of Naturalization on a closed loop cruise in the same way someone born in the US can use their birth certificate.

One final note. You always need to check your cruise line's requirements. Cruise lines have the right to impose more stringent documentation requirements and some require all passengers, regardless of citizenship and itinerary, to have a valid passport...often also requiring 6 months remaining validity on the passport. This is a very common requirement of the super-premium and luxury lines such as Oceania, Azamara and Regent Seven Seas. (Yes, I know this is the Celebrity board, but Celebrity cruisers sometimes also sail on luxury lines.)

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

@njhorseman Some interesting scenarios I have encountered checking in cruise passengers have included naturalized citizens actually bringing their birth country's birth certificate because their US passport had expired, and/or they couldn't find their certificate of naturalization.  I think that they just see that birth certificates are accepted, they figure it includes them as well.  I can recall about three times that this has happened, and unfortunately these folks were denied boarding. 

Edited by Ferry_Watcher
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Guindalf said:

Get a passport!  IMO, it’s madness to cruise without one. What happens if you miss getting back to the ship after a late excursion or worse, you are ill or have an accident?

The OP knows that and posted the following hours before you made your post:

8 hours ago, neverlaysup said:

Thanks all for the response but I was simply asking a question to see if anyone had experience with this. I think she needs a passport and don't need to be reminded by others of what is best, I already knew that.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2022 at 8:05 AM, AnnaNicole said:

I just renewed my passport.  I paid extra for expedited service and shipping (5-7 weeks).   I sent my passport application express mail on July 26 and received it yesterday.    It took three weeks.

I was wondering about that.  Mine has expired and I'd like to book a cruise for Dec.  Was just wondering how fast an expediter was.

5 minutes ago, Catnip said:

I was wondering about that.  Mine has expired and I'd like to book a cruise for Dec.  Was just wondering how fast an expediter was.

We recently got our new passports back 5 weeks to the day after we mailed them, without expedited service. You have plenty of time to get your new passport back before December without paying anything additional to have yours expedited.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

We recently got our new passports back 5 weeks to the day after we mailed them, without expedited service. You have plenty of time to get your new passport back before December without paying anything additional to have yours expedited.

That's really great news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I just hate to take that risk, though.  Although I could use my certified BC if it wasn't back, I guess.

3 hours ago, Catnip said:

I did not pay an expediter.   They wanted $600!

I paid the expedited fee and expedited shipping fee directly with my passport.   I filled out the form online, printed it, and mailed it from a post office express mail.    I followed the progress online.    US Passport service also gave me email updates.

When you fill in the dates for travel you can put a much closer date than December.   

From their site:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/have-passport/renew.html

Processing Times

Routine: 8 to 11 weeks*

Expedited: Costs an extra $60. Takes 5 to 7 weeks.*

*Processing times begin the day we receive your application at a passport agency or center, not the day you mail your application or apply.

Expedited at Agency or Center: Must have international travel in the next 14 calendar days.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2022 at 4:57 PM, AnnaNicole said:

I did not pay an expediter.   They wanted $600!

I paid the expedited fee and expedited shipping fee directly with my passport.   I filled out the form online, printed it, and mailed it from a post office express mail.    I followed the progress online.    US Passport service also gave me email updates.

When you fill in the dates for travel you can put a much closer date than December.   

From their site:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/have-passport/renew.html

Processing Times

Routine: 8 to 11 weeks*

Expedited: Costs an extra $60. Takes 5 to 7 weeks.*

*Processing times begin the day we receive your application at a passport agency or center, not the day you mail your application or apply.

Expedited at Agency or Center: Must have international travel in the next 14 calendar days.

Thank you so much for that info!!!!!!

• Like 1

If you live near a US passport agency you may be able to get a passport much faster than 5 weeks, if travel is within 14 days.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/get-fast/passport-agencies.html

Not sure what the process entails now but about 6 years ago we got a renewal passport in 3-4 days at the Chicago agency. Involved 2 trips to the agency and some $$. But way faster than expedited mail process.

Husband discovered less than a week before taking youngest on a dive trip that the kids passport had expired. Not sure how it works now but at the time, Chicago agency also did a very limited number of same day passports.

Edited by broker1217
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/20/2022 at 7:29 PM, broker1217 said:

If you live near a US passport agency you may be able to get a passport much faster than 5 weeks, if travel is within 14 days.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/get-fast/passport-agencies.html

Not sure what the process entails now but about 6 years ago we got a renewal passport in 3-4 days at the Chicago agency. Involved 2 trips to the agency and some $$. But way faster than expedited mail process.

Husband discovered less than a week before taking youngest on a dive trip that the kids passport had expired. Not sure how it works now but at the time, Chicago agency also did a very limited number of same day passports.

Thank you for your help!  Appreciate it!

On 8/17/2022 at 6:41 PM, neverlaysup said:

A quick question to this forum before I spend hours on hold with Celebrity. My sister in law does not have a passport and the cruise I booked her on is in 6 weeks. She has a birth certificate with her maiden name and a current marriage certificate that used her previous married name but also states her Maiden name as well. Does anyone here have experience using this for travel and will it pass muster with the cruise line. We may be able to expedite a passport but we are hoping that the birth and current marriage certificate will suffice.

We returned from a cruise on 8/15/22 where my daughter used a birth certificate (maiden name) and a drivers license (married name). She booked the cruise with her married name. She didn't encounter any problems. My sister used the same identification on a December '21 cruise without any problems.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2022 at 4:32 PM, CaliB said:

We returned from a cruise on 8/15/22 where my daughter used a birth certificate (maiden name) and a drivers license (married name). She booked the cruise with her married name. She didn't encounter any problems. My sister used the same identification on a December '21 cruise without any problems.

Thank you for the response.