Seasickness and forward rooms

jp2746

I am prone to seasickness so the highest room I have ever been in is deck 10 and I always do midship.  On some of the Princess ships there are bigger balconies that are obstructed (E105-109) on deck 8 that we are looking at.  Would I have to worry about seasickness in a forward cabin?  Thanks!

I have never been seasick on cruise ships but we have only done the Caribbean.  We are looking at a Pacific Coast so I'm not sure what to expect. 

Edited by jp2746

Pacific Coastals are "usually" calm.  There is a little more action going north than south.  It all depends on the time of year.  I have been on the Pacific when it has been scary glassy.  

Which ship?  Time of year?

Forward and higher will have much more motion than lower and mid-deck.

I've done 3 Pacific Coastals on Princess out of LA headed north, and on 2 of those I was so sick the first seaday I could barely get out of bed.  The first one in April 2017 I just remember being pretty far aft but I don't remember how high of a deck.  The other was this past April on Majestic, far forward but on a high deck (15).  That one went LA-seaday-San Fran, then back south.  We had been warned it would be rough that night out of LA and they were right.  I was so happy when that ship stopped moving in San Fran.  Walked to a CVS for some pills.  It was nicer on the way back south.  I've done at least a couple coastals on NCL and never had seasickness.  Not saying it's a Princess thing, those just happened to be the two I got sick on.

If the seas are rough, forward on a low deck, it may be loud with the crashing waves.

Edited by SomewhereGirl

We are looking at a Mexican Rivera cruise on the Discovery in December. 

I would love to have a bigger balcony but not at the cost of seasickness.   Two weeks ago we were on Royal Symphony and we were on deck 10  it was the highest we have ever booked and the only reason we were there is because we bid on an upgrade.  That just happened to be the cabin.  But it was mid ship.  One night I got up and could really feel the boat rocking.  To the point that I stumbled a little getting to the bathroom, but I never felt sick.  The only time I felt even a little nauseous was when we turned around and we were midship on deck 7. 

Maybe I should go a little further mid ship.

Thanks! 

Edited by jp2746

I get seasick on every cruise and I find that forward is the worst place to be. Mid-ship is the best place to be. I find that if I take 2 bonine every night I’m fine no matter where I am 

Edited by Lizabu

It's hard to say if you'd get seasick or not in a forward cabin. I get carsick on mountain roads - the movement of the car back and forth as it goes around corners really gets to me. But I don't get sick on cruise ships. We nearly always book high up in the ship and far forward, and I enjoy the motion. That might be the case with you too, but it's probably not worth pushing it and being miserable. 

1 hour ago, Lizabu said:

I get seasick on every cruise and I find that forward is the worst place to be. Mid-ship is the best place to be. I find that if I take 2 bonine every night I’m fine no matter where I am 

Bonine is everybody's friend.  But harder and harder to find at Walgreens and CVS.  They like to carry their brand.  

24 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Bonine is everybody's friend.  But harder and harder to find at Walgreens and CVS.  They like to carry their brand.  

My wife uses the generic version…Meclizine works great to eliminate her motion sickness & costs much less than the brand names (Bonine & Dramamine Less Drowsy).

We also get lower deck mid to mid aft cabins to have a more stable location. Although decades ago got an upgrade to an oceanview cabin as far forward as possible on an upper deck for an Alaska inside passage cruise & it was smooth on that cruise.

• Like 1

Yeah, I get motion sick easily myself on various modes (car/ship/subway).  Even watching some poorly filmed YouTube travel videos where the dude moves the cell phone too quickly will give me a buzz headache.

We were in cabins Emerald 501/503/505 on the Majestic Princess in Alaska last week - same deck as what you are looking at but more toward mid ship and had smooth sailing the entire week.  I would aim for the cabins in the 400 to 500 series on deck 8 to be safe . You won't appreciate any of the extra balcony spaces/amenities when you are feeling sea sick.

No one can predict the weather/wave condition of your sailings as you can run into late season storms in April or early storms in October (west coast storm season starts from July to June) and that could cause you problems if you are sensitive to motion sickness.

6 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

@Astro Flyerdoes the generic version make her sleepy?  That's what I like about Bonine.  

Bonine is a brand name of meclizine, 25 mg.  I used to buy the Kroger version,  called Motion Sickness relief.  According to the Fred Meyer app they still have it, but I have not looked for it. I guess I should,  mine expired a year ago 😅

7 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

@Astro Flyerdoes the generic version make her sleepy?  That's what I like about Bonine.  

We bought these online from Amazon - generic Bonine - for our Alaska cruise. I ordered them in case I needed them as I was major league sea sick 20 years ago on another Alaska cruise so I was prepared this time. 

But the weather was fine.  No rain to speak of going from Whittier down to Vancouver with calm seas and having fresh air of balcony helps so I never had to use them. Here is the link in case someone needs them and can't find them at their local pharmacy:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XGJZPQ5?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

3 minutes ago, donswife said:

Bonine is a brand name of meclizine, 25 mg.  I used to buy the Kroger version,  called Motion Sickness relief.  According to the Fred Meyer app they still have it, but I have not looked for it. I guess I should,  mine expired a year ago 😅

Mine expired during the pandemic too.  Had to refresh my "first aid kit".

2 minutes ago, harryfat1 said:

We bought these online from Amazon - generic Bonine - for our Alaska cruise. I ordered them in case I needed them as I was major league sea sick 20 years ago on another Alaska cruise so I was prepared this time. 

But the weather was fine.  No rain to speak of going from Whittier down to Vancouver with calm seas and having fresh air of balcony helps so I never had to use them. Here is the link in case someone needs them and can't find them at their local pharmacy:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XGJZPQ5?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I have never used the 18 or so from Bonine.  I hope you are sharing with others...100 tablets/wow.  Princess (and other cruise ships) used to hand them out from behind the CS counter.  Add that to the list.

13 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I have never used the 18 or so from Bonine.  I hope you are sharing with others...100 tablets/wow.  Princess (and other cruise ships) used to hand them out from behind the CS counter.  Add that to the list.

You mean they're not like breath mints that I can just pop them in my mouth regularly?🤪

We were traveling as extended family of 6 so I figured having extras in case we run into a major storm. It's good for couple of years to have for future trips.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

It's the same active ingredient so any side affects are the same as the brand names.

It doesn't make her sleepy & she can even have wine at dinner without putting her to sleep. She generally takes it at night so if there's any sleepiness she doesn't care.🥱😴

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was in L101 (forward facing cabin) on the Majestic to Alaska and it was really rough.  I would not recommend unless sea sickness meds work for you.  We missed dinner 3 nights due to very high swells going from port to port. The balcony was huge but not worth it to me...