MedallionNet

Therese S.

Did the cost of the internet access go up?  I worked my way through all the steps on medallion class and now in the green lane.  Thought I would finish up and pre purchase the internet plan for the entire 15 day cruise to Hawaii on the Ruby.  The total cost is showing  as $149.85 which equals to 9.99 per day for one device.  We are platinum so I was expecting a daily charge of $5 and a total pre purchase price of $75.  When I open the medallion class it shows my photo and green lane status.   
 Doesn’t it recognize your cruising level?  I thought it might help if I log out and log back in to see if that fixes it but can’t find the log out button.  Or can you not purchase internet at the reduced rate?  Any help is appreciated .   Hope I don’t have to call Princess 

• Like 1

Buried a couple of pages back it's being discussed & affecting everyone including those who had already paid the 50% rate. Also on the sticky at the top about the app it's being discussed. It's either another app glitch or Princess is reverting to making full payment & to get a 50% OBC on the ship.

Edited by Astro Flyer

1 hour ago, Therese S. said:

Did the cost of the internet access go up?  I worked my way through all the steps on medallion class and now in the green lane.  Thought I would finish up and pre purchase the internet plan for the entire 15 day cruise to Hawaii on the Ruby.  The total cost is showing  as $149.85 which equals to 9.99 per day for one device.  We are platinum so I was expecting a daily charge of $5 and a total pre purchase price of $75.  When I open the medallion class it shows my photo and green lane status.   
 Doesn’t it recognize your cruising level?  I thought it might help if I log out and log back in to see if that fixes it but can’t find the log out button.  Or can you not purchase internet at the reduced rate?  Any help is appreciated .   Hope I don’t have to call Princess 

It's also covered in the MC App main thread.  This one has hit a lot of threads and too many new ones started.  The bug is affecting everyone who is Platinum or Elite.  Suggest complaining to Princess.  A chorus of boos might get it fixed.  I did read one post in the past 24 hrs or so where the member mentioned Princess working on it.  Let's hope so.  It's been going on too long already not to have found it and fixed it.  Cannot be that difficult what they broke.  (Please do call if you can - we need everyone possible to complain to Princess and don't let them tell you it's the first time hearing it).

I just made the mistake of booking it in the App. I heard that booking it on board they will not allow the $10.00 per day rate only the $15.00 per day rate.  I did not realize it was ever right in the App since I was not looking for it until now I do not want the $15.00 per day rate even at 50% off. Way overpriced for what little you get.  The current version/outsource of MedallionNet is a bad joke IMO.  The earlier MedallionNet was OK, but not this current version/outsource.  Wi-Fi on Princess before MedallionNet was better than it is now.  Sorry, not a fan, but I still need it.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, hpeabody said:

I just made the mistake of booking it in the App. I heard that booking it on board they will not allow the $10.00 per day rate only the $15.00 per day rate.  I did not realize it was ever right in the App since I was not looking for it until now I do not want the $15.00 per day rate even at 50% off. Way overpriced for what little you get.  The current version/outsource of MedallionNet is a bad joke IMO.  The earlier MedallionNet was OK, but not this current version/outsource.  Wi-Fi on Princess before MedallionNet was better than it is now.  Sorry, not a fan, but I still need it.

When are you sailing?  You could cancel the order (it might take a phone call) and wait and see if it gets fixed in time.  Otherwise, make sure get 50% Refundable OBC on board.  Document now that the System was broken and had to pay 100%.  Then be sure to visit Passenger/Guest Services Desk.  It might also work by checking with the Internet Mgr, but not sure that is the person to get the 50% kickback from.  They also won't know about the Refundable part.  

PS - I don't believe anyone has been able to get a definitive answer from Princess as to why the internet has gone in the toilet for performance (seems more like the old days).  I would imagine the answer is on board and I would start with the Internet Mgr.  Anyone one a ship now with bad internet care to inquire?  (And I mean a ship in the Med for example and not the far north where coverage is not so good).

Edited by Steelers36

17 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

Buried a couple of pages back it's being discussed & affecting everyone including those who had already paid the 50% rate. Also on the sticky at the top about the app it's being discussed. It's either another app glitch or Princess is reverting to making full payment & to get a 50% OBC on the ship.

Thank you Astro Flyer...as sad as it is to hear problems again with the internet, I was sure I did something wrong on the medallion.  I would not  be surprised if Princess went back to giving the 50% off once onboard as OBC.  Essentially you then you paid the full amount and forced to spend the credit on board.  More money for Princess.  

16 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

It's also covered in the MC App main thread.  This one has hit a lot of threads and too many new ones started.  The bug is affecting everyone who is Platinum or Elite.  Suggest complaining to Princess.  A chorus of boos might get it fixed.  I did read one post in the past 24 hrs or so where the member mentioned Princess working on it.  Let's hope so.  It's been going on too long already not to have found it and fixed it.  Cannot be that difficult what they broke.  (Please do call if you can - we need everyone possible to complain to Princess and don't let them tell you it's the first time hearing it).

We dont sail until October so I'm going to give it another few weeks and see if the problem is resolved before I sit on hold with Princess.  Thanks for the tip on the app thread, I will check it out. 

I read something earlier about this and went to Princess to see how much I paid for one device at the time not realizing that it pertained to those of Elite status.  I noticed while reading underneath the 50% off for Elites it said you would receive the 50% off with an OBC.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Megamixer said:

I read something earlier about this and went to Princess to see how much I paid for one device at the time not realizing that it pertained to those of Elite status.  I noticed while reading underneath the 50% off for Elites it said you would receive the 50% off with an OBC.  

You went to Princess?  Are you on the ship now?

Where did you read that Elites would receive 50% off with an OBC?
On these threads?

TIA

9 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

On these threads?

TIA

It is written that way in the CC Member Benefits.  But, it has been that way since the new benefits were announced and the feature to offer MedallionNet at 50% off was not yet implemented in MC App.  We need to put the collective pressure on PCL to fix it.

25 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

It is written that way in the CC Member Benefits.  But, it has been that way since the new benefits were announced and the feature to offer MedallionNet at 50% off was not yet implemented in MC App.  We need to put the collective pressure on PCL to fix it.

I didn’t even realize the old verbage was still there.  
We need everyone to send messages and make calls until they fix this. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

On these threads?

TIA

No, excuse me, I went to the Princess website and read about the different packages and options.  This is the exact wording:

Unlimited and Affordable Internet

Choose from one-device or four-device packages, starting at just $9.99 USD when you purchase pre-cruise through the MedallionClass app. Platinum and Elite guests get an exclusive discount of 50% off.*

*Discount will be applied on board in the form of an onboard credit.

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ocean-medallion/medallionnet/

1 hour ago, Megamixer said:

No, excuse me, I went to the Princess website and read about the different packages and options.  This is the exact wording:

Choose from one-device or four-device packages, starting at just $9.99 USD when you purchase pre-cruise through the MedallionClass app. Platinum and Elite guests get an exclusive discount of 50% off.*

Okay thanks!  That wording has been on there since the cancelled the free minutes for Platinum and Elites. 
They had a problem with the APP giving the discount during the restart. Hence, the wording you are showing. BTW, this was the exact wording on July 1, 2021….before the APP was working for the internet.

Then, over 6 mos ago…they updated the APP so it would show the 50% off and you could book it.  I was able to do that myself in the APP in Jan and Feb.  They are notorious for not updating verbage on the website. 

Now, a couple of weeks ago it disappeared off the APP, even if you had booked it already with the discount!

All my cruises are showing with the discount on the website in the Travel Summary that I pre purchased. 

But, the ones that I have not yet purchased the internet, it shows full price, like yours.

So, if they don’t fix it in the next few weeks, I’ll call in again and ask to purchase the discounted internet.

Edited by PacnGoNow

I just cancelled my mistake of purchasing MedallionNet in the App.  I used chat.  They know about it but no information regarding if or when they may fix it.  This is just another way Princess has found to get our dollars for their use.  My dollars are better off with me for now.  I will check on it closer to sailing

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hpeabody said:

I just cancelled my mistake of purchasing MedallionNet in the App.  I used chat.  They know about it but no information regarding if or when they may fix it.  This is just another way Princess has found to get our dollars for their use.  My dollars are better off with me for now.  I will check on it closer to sailing

Were they able to sell it to discounted on Chat?  What did they suggest?

54 minutes ago, rjack22 said:

How much is it per day for the 4 device plan?

$20/day pre-cruise.  If you are not on the Plus Fare package and both people in the cabin want internet, it is best for one person to order the 4-device plan which costs same as two single-device plans.  If you wait until on board, 4-device plan ($25) costs less than two single-device plans ($15/ea).

I just had a call back from an agent at Princess.  She said if the App is not fixed by time of sailing, order at 100% and will get 50% Refundable OBC on board.  She was in a BIG hurry.  She said it is noted on the booking.  The thing for us is we are ordering $500 worth of internet (4-devices for 25 days), so $250 is a big number to be over-paying and have to recoup on board. 

ETA:  Hopefully this means it is being worked on.  She implied that, but was not interested in a conversation and I was also on another call and interrupted it to catch her call.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I just had a call back from an agent at Princess.  She said if the App is not fixed by time of sailing, order at 100% and will get 50% Refundable OBC on board.  She was in a BIG hurry.  She said it is noted on the booking.  The thing for us is we are ordering $500 worth of internet (4-devices for 25 days), so $250 is a big number to be over-paying and have to recoup on board. 

ETA:  Hopefully this means it is being worked on.  She implied that, but was not interested in a conversation and I was also on another call and interrupted it to catch her call.

Thank you for the update!   I agree, I’m not putting over $500 out there either until the last minute.  

No timeline, I’m sure.

4 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Were they able to sell it to discounted on Chat?  What did they suggest?

No, it is only available pre-cruise at full price.  So I just said cancel the purchase.  My cruise is in November, so I have time and will keep my own money for now.

8 hours ago, Megamixer said:

So it sounds like its working if it costs 9.99 a day for everyone (then Platinum and Elite get 50% back onboard as OBC). 

5 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Thank you for the update!   I agree, I’m not putting over $500 out there either until the last minute.  

No timeline, I’m sure.

1 hour ago, hpeabody said:

No, it is only available pre-cruise at full price.  So I just said cancel the purchase.  My cruise is in November, so I have time and will keep my own money for now.

For us it would be $390 total ($250 + $140 across two ships) OBC and it's a lot more than I want to have extra. 

• 2 weeks later...