Cocktails on Royal Caribbean

We just cruised on Vision of the Sea last week. There are only a couple of places on shipboard that have the drink prices listed. When I saw the prices, I realized that I had been charged an extra $2 per drink for the "take home" glass. I do not wish to carry around glasses with me and had to start asking everytime to bring me a drink without that type of glass. I noticed many of these "take home" glasses left all over the ship, so probably most people did not realized this is what is being done. I really got frustrated when I asked before I ordered, how much the drink was going to be. Then when the waiter brought our 2 drinks, the bill was an additional $4. I told him that I did not ask for that glass, so he redid my bill. I don't know if the waiters have been told to do this, or if they are doing it to up their automatic gratuity. In any case, I think this is a tacky policy.

On my AOS cruise a few weeks ago, I ordered the drink that came in the nifty thermal insulated mug with handle. When I signed for it, I was suprised to see that it was the same price as a drink that was not in a collector cup.....:confused:

Maybe I just got lucky?

Hi,

We were on the 5 Feb sailing, and were also surprised by the change in the drink prices, and the drink menus. We were also on the Vision for the Sept '05 repositioning cruise from Alaska. The change in the drink prices and menu took place in between these cruises. What was insisious about this repricing is the advertising of daily cocktail specials in the daily bulletin.

While they don't mention it, the daily specials appeared to be priced with the souvenier glasses. The lack of prices on the drink menu appears to be a wilfull attempt to push the souvenier glasses, which very few people seem to take away when they finish their drink. After the first daily special I ordered I decided that I would stick with the beer. They had Heinekin and Amstel on tap in the schooner bar so that became my drink of choice.

While we had a propulsion problem in Puerto Vallarta that threw us off a few hours, the cruise was excellent in every other manner. The crew members, from the captain on down, were outstanding, and the ship was in great shape. The food in the Windjammer was excellent both in quality and variety. It was a great shame that the bar pricing strategy was allowed to

be so underhanded. If they are just trying to bump the bar take, a simple increase in price would have been the right way to do it.

Petert

The take home glasses are cheap plastic, so why would anyone want them? I've only purchased 1 drink of the day and decided to go back to my jack 'n coke. On grandeur JD 'n coke came in a regular bar glass so I'll have to see what Vision does when I'm there in Dec. It may help to remember to order your drink in a regluar bar glass, not souvenir glass. Now if I had just hung around the pool on Grandeur the night of the pool BBQ, maybe I could've come home with some discarded light up souvenir cups!

I agree that the drink-in the-souvenir-cup is a money making stunt by RCI. Which I fine, I don't begrudge them that. But I can see why folks who may not know the rules of the game would have concerns.

Robyn - I think you did get lucky. Those cups are nice! I think they charge a fortune for them (but I could be wrong).

Wolfcathorse says:

The take home glasses are cheap plastic, so why would anyone want them

The glasses that I was talking about were the glass hurricane glasses and the schooner bar glasses. They were not plastic. Last year in April they cost $1.00 more than the regular glasses and were quite a bit larger. Got more 'bang for your buck', even if you didn't take them home with you. However, some people just like to take home souveniers, regardless if they are plastic or not.

I agree that the drink-in the-souvenir-cup is a money making stunt by RCI. Which I fine, I don't begrudge them that. But I can see why folks who may not know the rules of the game would have concerns.

Robyn - I think you did get lucky. Those cups are nice! I think they charge a fortune for them (but I could be wrong).

I order the promo items for my company, so I know what those insulated mugs cost - I felt that even if it DID cost an extra $2 is was well worth it! Now when I have my coffee every morning in the office - I can remember my cruise whenever I take a sip :D Not as good as the ship - but hey, it's all I've got for now.....;)

The take home glasses are cheap plastic, so why would anyone want them? I've only purchased 1 drink of the day and decided to go back to my jack 'n coke. On grandeur JD 'n coke came in a regular bar glass so I'll have to see what Vision does when I'm there in Dec. It may help to remember to order your drink in a regluar bar glass, not souvenir glass. Now if I had just hung around the pool on Grandeur the night of the pool BBQ, maybe I could've come home with some discarded light up souvenir cups!

Oh, MY, MY, MY! You MIX your Jack Daniels with COKE???

I may have to re-think my high opinion of you, wolfcathorse!!!!!!! ;) ;)

The glasses that I was talking about were the glass hurricane glasses and the schooner bar glasses. They were not plastic.
My daughter has a lovely, complete set with her at college. They are a big hit! ;) ;)

Ok, I decided my "goal" is to get service for 24 out of those glasses... LOL. I personally don't mind spending the extra buck or two a few times for the glasses. But do have a question with that respect... you keep the glass that your drink comes in... but, does the bartender rinse it out or anything?

D :)

I was on the NOS in February. The drink of the day in the souvenier glasses including the glass sloosy (sp?) or the insulated cup were $8.95 each. If you made a good friend with a barman, you sometimes got free refills. Otherwise the mango Tango refill was $5.95. The first day they were selling the plastic souvenier glasses at $8.95 and you always had to ask them to add the rum or they were vergin....for the same price:eek: That was my only pet peeve on the ship.

I do have 3 of the blue swirl sloosey glasses adorning my bar. Hope to get another one in April when we sail on the 10 day Serenade out of San Juan.

Archived