Unsupervised Testing

I have called Royal and have gotten different answers. If you are unvaccinated and traveling to the Bahamas and Coco Cay after Sept 5,2022. Does the Covid test you take 3 days before your cruise have to be supervised? On one page of Royals site- it says they will take a unsupervised test home kit. When you click for more info. That page says the test has to be supervised. I just want to know which one it is. I just want to see if any of you have a better understanding of it. Thank You

Accepted Tests for U.S. Cruises Departing on or After September 5, 2022; with No Stops in Canada or Bermuda

• The test you take can be professionally administered by a health professional, such as a doctor or pharmacist, or you can use a home test kit. Home test kits for these sailings are not required to be administered under live video supervision.
  • You will present the negative test result at the time of boarding. You can show it in the form of a printout, an email, or an app screen from the test provider. Or you can show a picture of your negative home test on your phone, or present the actual negative test itself.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-tests-are-accepted-where-to-submit-the-results

No, you do not need a supervised test.

Edited by easyqueasy
Added link.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Unsupervised self testing basically becomes the honor system.  The cruiseline will not know who took the test or when it was taken.  

Though I have not tried it, I strongly suspect if one just waves the the swab in the air /swabs nothing (rather than properly swabbing one’s nostrils), one will get what appears to be a negative test including the control line.  I’m not encouraging such behavior, just pointing out that anybody who wants to cheat can cheat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Unsupervised self testing basically becomes the honor system.  The cruiseline will not know who took the test or when it was taken.  

Though I have not tried it, I strongly suspect if one just waves the the swab in the air /swabs nothing (rather than properly swabbing one’s nostrils), one will get what appears to be a negative test including the control line.  I’m not encouraging such behavior, just pointing out that anybody who wants to cheat can cheat.

Don't worry about how other people get their results.  The point is the cruise line wants people to take responsibility for their own actions and not show up for a cruise if they are positive.  Most people going on cruises are done with the testing and masking and fear that the gubmint tried to instill in everyone.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

Family of six, one negative test and six copies of the same picture.  Cruise lines are about done with all this stupidity. 

Reminds me of the following questions, “have you vomited or had diarrhea in the last 5 days”.  

• Haha 5

36 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Reminds me of the following questions, “have you vomited or had diarrhea in the last 5 days”.  

That one should always have a caveat of "If you ate at Taco Bell then do not count that diarrhea episode in your answer".

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Yeah, covid will continue to screw with us all, but fortunately, we are approaching accepting of that fact and are ready to just live our lives again.

Good job everybody.  It still sucks, but we are not letting it control us and ruin our lives any longer!!!!

jc

• Like 4