Gift Cards and OBC

damiross

Sorry if this has been covered before.  It's been a while since I've been on CC and, unfortunately, the forum search function has not improved.  After searching for over a half hour, I decided to create a new topic.

My wife is going on a cruise with a friend.  My wife does not have a credit card. We don't want to use her debit card for her onboard account.

I am thinking of getting gift cards that she can use for her onboard account. I have some questions on using them.

She has non-refundable OBC which I guess would be used before any purchased or gift card OBC.  Correct?

Would it be better to buy the OBC directly or use gift cards for her to give to the customer service desk?  (I don't want her carrying a lot of cash and I'm not sure if customer service would accept a check from me.)

Regardless of how she gets the OBC (gift card, cash, check), am I right in saying any unused balance would be refunded?

Could I authorize my wife to use my credit card for any OBC needed above what she put in as a gift card or cash? (I already signed a form that allowed her to use my credit card for her fare.)

Thanks in advance

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, damiross said:

Sorry if this has been covered before.  It's been a while since I've been on CC and, unfortunately, the forum search function has not improved.  After searching for over a half hour, I decided to create a new topic.

My wife is going on a cruise with a friend.  My wife does not have a credit card. We don't want to use her debit card for her onboard account.

I am thinking of getting gift cards that she can use for her onboard account. I have some questions on using them.

She has non-refundable OBC which I guess would be used before any purchased or gift card OBC.  Correct?

Would it be better to buy the OBC directly or use gift cards for her to give to the customer service desk?  (I don't want her carrying a lot of cash and I'm not sure if customer service would accept a check from me.)

Regardless of how she gets the OBC (gift card, cash, check), am I right in saying any unused balance would be refunded?

Could I authorize my wife to use my credit card for any OBC needed above what she put in as a gift card or cash? (I already signed a form that allowed her to use my credit card for her fare.)

Thanks in advance

I am not sure that they accept debit cards.  Anyway, why don't you get your bank to issue a second card for your spouse?  That should be a lot easier/cleaner solution.  Wouldn't it be handy to have in any case?

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I am not sure that they accept debit cards.  Anyway, why don't you get your bank to issue a second card for your spouse?  That should be a lot easier/cleaner solution.  Wouldn't it be handy to have in any case?

Totally agree.  I would never go on a trip without a credit card.  Anything could happen and if DW had to use an airline to fly home, a medical facility, etc they WON’T take OBC or Gift cards from Princess.

OP could get DW a CC with a low limit and use for trips.

Also, those refundable OBC have been taking several months to get refunded back to the guest.

4 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

8 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Totally agree.  I would never go on a trip without a credit card.  Anything could happen and if DW had to use an airline to fly home, a medical facility, etc they WON’T take OBC or Gift cards from Princess.

Also, those refundable OBC have been taking several months to get refunded back to the guest.

There is obviously a reason the wife does not have a credit card (could be for many varied reasons and OP does not have to explain it to us).

He just wants to know his options with what he explained he has.

Cheers,

John

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, PacnGoNow said:

1 hour ago, AZjohn said:

There is obviously a reason the wife does not have a credit card (could be for many varied reasons and OP does not have to explain it to us).

Cheers,

John

Okay, AZ, but a good point made by PacnGo because a CC can be lost or compromised when away.  We have had this happen to us and although we had back-up, it was not the card I wanted to use.  Now we have redundancy just in case something happens while away from home overseas and not practical for home banks to re-issue new cards.  Good thoughts for anyone to cinsider.

Edited by Steelers36

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

Okay, AZ, but a good point made by PacnGo because a CC can be lost or compromised when away.  We have had this happen to us and although we had back-up, it was not the card I wanted to use.  Now we have redundancy just in case something happens while away from home overseas and not practical for home banks to re-issue new cards.  Good thoughts for anyone to cinsider.

Hi @Steelers36,

Oh I'm with you. We would never go anywhere without multiple credit cards (from our own experience's). 

I was just trying to say OP wife does not have a credit card and there could be a good reason (probably a reason that might cause embarrassment).

OP just was asking how best to put money in her OBA without her having to provide a credit card.

Cheers,

John

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AZjohn said:

Cheers,

John

Not necessarily, OP states only that DW does not have a CC.

I think it’s more risky to just sail on OBC, unless you are just staying mostly on the ship, or your partner/friend has a CC in case of emergencies.  BTW, PCL stated that my max OBC was $1500.  Don’t know if that’s true on every booking. This was on a 28 night cruise.

I’m just offering suggestions.  Do you have any?

13 hours ago, damiross said:

Thanks in advance

Only a suggestion, mind you, if you go the OBC route…

To keep the amount lower once OB you might think of pre purchasing some items.

Pre payment of gratuities

Excursions on PCL.

Coffee package or Soda package

Basically any item DW may want once OB. Which you can do through the cruise personalizer. 

This May drastically reduce the amount of OBC she may need to purchase.

Again, these are JUST suggestions.

• Like 1

Thanks, everyone, for your help.  I think what I'll do is prepurchase OBC through my wife's personalizer.  My mom, a very seasoned cruiser, can help my wife use her debit card if she (wife) runs out of OBC.  The thing I don't care about the debit card is the amount of the hold placed on it. I want to make sure there's no confusion if my wife see's the amount of the hold.

Again, thanks everyone.  I knew I could get a good answer here.

The only problem I see is if your wife  becomes ill. I had to pay in full when I was diagnosed with pneumonia (pre-covid) and dehydration. I required IV fluids and antibiotics as well as oxygen. I was lucky to not be debarked for hospitalization (which would have been an additional cost). The cost for all these services was required before I could leave the ship at the end of the cruise. We had insurance so in the end was completely reimbursed. However, I was so glad I had a credit card with a generous limit. Gift cards would not have covered my costs.

Just a chime in on Carnival cruise gift cards, got off cruise today. I added my gift card to account before sailing. We had and umder $25 amount in credit left on account. Guest services said Carnival would mail a completely new gift card with credit balance in a few weeks. 

When you do your check in, don't you have to give a credit card # on file?  Why can't you give her your credit card # and she will be covered for any on board expenses.  But she should have one of her own for emergencies.  Your cc company can issue one in her name for your account.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, EllieinNJ said:

When you do your check in, don't you have to give a credit card # on file?  Why can't you give her your credit card # and she will be covered for any on board expenses.  But she should have one of her own for emergencies.  Your cc company can issue one in her name for your account.

This is what we do, we have a card on file and it covers both of our on board expenses. When we travel with our grandson his cruise card is also covered, but it has a limit. Learned the hard way when him, his uncle and his dad spend hours in the game area, they racked up a hefty sum on our cc. thankfully I check our account every few days. All gratuities were per paid on all five of us.

19 hours ago, damiross said:

My mom, a very seasoned cruiser, can help my wife use her debit card if she (wife) runs out of OBC.  I want to make sure there's no confusion if my wife see's the amount of the hold.

Are you saying that your wife is utterly helpless and needs help using a debit card? In that case, how would she even see the hold amount?