Cruising Alaska in Mid-September. Is a verandah cabin worth it?

sea_la_vie

Hello, trying to decide between an ocean view or a verandah cabin. We've never cruised Alaska this late in the season (mid-September). I'm wondering if a Verandah cabin would be worth it due to colder temps and possible rain, or if an ocean view would work just as well to take in the views while we are in our cabin.

Thank you!

Last fall we did B2B late season Alaska cruises.  We used our balcony every day.  But we also have never seriously considered an ocean view or inside stateroom.  My husband always wondered about ocean view staterooms and when he was in covid-19 quarantine in an ocean view stateroom last April he now really knows he couldn't tolerate one. 

10 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

Last fall we did B2B late season Alaska cruises.  We used our balcony every day.  But we also have never seriously considered an ocean view or inside stateroom.  My husband always wondered about ocean view staterooms and when he was in covid-19 quarantine in an ocean view stateroom last April he now really knows he couldn't tolerate one. 

Good to know that you used them in the late season-thank you!!  Ah yes, quarantine does sound terrible without the ability to have fresh air!

We did Alaska mid September 2021 in an aft balcony.  It rained every day but one, but we still enjoyed the balcony.  Our room steward brought us blankets and we sat out there under the overhang and enjoyed every minute of it.  We were on Millenium - this year we did Alaska again, this time in August, also a balcony on Quantum.  Weather was better and we had a great balcony that we enjoyed a lot, but our itinerary was not as good - primarily because of mechanical problems Quantum had, so the balcony was important to us.  Spent more time sailing then port time.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2022 at 1:19 PM, Mountaineer0313 said:

I won't cruise anywhere without a balcony. You might luck out and have great weather.

ABSOLUTELY!!!

If you are concerned about the weather (it is Alaska), then book a covered balcony room, or at least partially covered. We have spotted whales and much wildlife from our balcony! You will be bringing layers anyway, so you can bundle up. The scenery is gorgeous!

• Like 1

On 8/26/2022 at 4:25 PM, sea_la_vie said:

Thank you for the replies! We've decided to go with the Verandah. We like the idea of fresh air as well!

Because we still have Covid to deal with, I took a veranda even though I’m solo for this cruise so that I can air out the cabin, etc 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/26/2022 at 2:25 PM, sea_la_vie said:

Hello, trying to decide between an ocean view or a verandah cabin. We've never cruised Alaska this late in the season (mid-September). I'm wondering if a Verandah cabin would be worth it due to colder temps and possible rain, or if an ocean view would work just as well to take in the views while we are in our cabin.

Thank you!

My recommendation is for the verandah.  If it is cold, bundle up!  It's an amazing place to relax while cruising through Alaska. Bring a travel coffee cup and fill it with hot cocoa from the buffet.  Great memories. 

Often, just a warm hat and a sweatshirt will suffice.  Always, layers. 

EnJOY!