Crazy pricing

cusematt4

4 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

So educate me then. It was truly a question as to whether it was considered a luxury line. I never considered it as such, so explain to me how it is.

Food and entertainment are subjective to what one particular person likes. Having seen menus for both Celebrity and NCL, the ones from NCL offer more choices that I would personally enjoy. That doesn't mean they're fancier or better - just something that's better for me.

We've been trying to find a cruise on Celebrity that works for us, but when we find an itinerary that we want - apples to apples NCL Haven has always been a better deal than Celebrity Retreat. Even when trying to match similar ships (NCL Jewel class to non-Edge class ships on Celebrity). Hence why we haven't gone yet. It may be fancier with more included for 'free', but many of those things are stuff that are not important to us so not a true value add (wifi). 

Celebrity is not a luxury line compared to Regent, Oceania, Viking etc. It is an upscale cruise line when compared to the mass market cruise lines (NCL, Carnival, RCCL, Princess and Holland America). There are more amenities in the room on Celebrity, (robes, tote bags, fruit etc). The MDR is heads above NCL in general, not that I haven't had a nice meal in an NCL MDR. The service is much better in traditional dining on Celebrity than the Free for all that is Freestyle. The fact that on NCL Epic there wasn't a different main Theatre show each evening left entertainment lacking. The fact that the Beatles are in that little Cavern room is crazy. Are there things I like on NCL? Yes- The Cigar room is fantastic, that many other lines don't offer, some of the smaller no fee specialty dining that is offered is nice as well. Everyone has a favorite, many on here love NCL, I don't. At one time NCL was in top 2 of the main lines, now it has moved to the bottom. I try them all, mostly for an itinerary. NCL just has not kept up with the items that I enjoy on a cruise. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, roboref said:

Yes, that is accurate. 2016 NCL Jewel to Alaska was so nice I purchased 2 Next cruise certificates. Used the first one in 2018 on NCL Epic. It left a lot to be desired in Food, entertainment, ship customer service. Asked for a refund on the other Cruise Next but was told NCL doesn't refund these. However, every other cruise line during COVID refunded without asking or calling any future cruise deposits, but not "No Service NCL". So, we booked NCL to Iceland from the UK in July 2020, then Covid hit, rescheduled for a TA on NCL pearl in 2021, cancelled again, rebooked on Escape for March 2022, but cancelled on Tuesday for a Saturday sailing. Your point is that I don't have much experience on NCL, that just isn't true. I loved it enough in 2016 to buy 2 future cruise certificates, it changed so much for the worse, that once my Cruise Next  and the 50% credit for the cancelled NCL Escape are used this coming March, if I go at all will be my last on NCL. So, your point about going is moot as NCL hasn't been able to accommodate any of the last 3 years bookings I have made. NCL has had plenty of opportunity to "wow" me over the last 6 years, but have just left a bad taste in my mouth. I will go to cruise lines who care about me as a customer. 

The changes are too much for me to stomach. 

Inc price and static menu that will be rolled out fleet-wide eventually made it so that I will not be booking again after I use my future cruise credit. Sad, as I love NCL. But these changes are too much. I get if they inc prices and add value. But that isn't the case. 

Edited by DrSea
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, roboref said:

Your point is that I don't have much experience on NCL, that just isn't true.

1 hour ago, roboref said:

your point about going is moot as NCL hasn't been able to accommodate any of the last 3 years bookings I have made

Not sure where I made these "points."  I just asked for some confirmation that your signature is up to date.  The readers can draw their own conclusions.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Travelling2Some said:

Hmm . . . maybe somebody who (1) got a fantastic deal on the 18 day Sun transatlantic, (2) doesn't care about bells and whistles and pampering - I'm happy reading a book no matter what ship I'm on, (3) isn't food focused - I can eat fine cuisine at home and the gin & tonics are the same on any ship (4) is mainly interested in post-cruise in Lisbon with the Canaries, Azores and Spain being bonuses. 

I've already booked the Viva and the Bliss BUT we are about itinerary and the "rust buckets" tend to get the best ones.  I'll book any ship that's going where I want to go and I think I just proved it by booking the Carnival Pride (horrors!) to Iceland out of London.  Definitely a major "old tub" but so port intensive that it's a non-issue - besides we'll likely get a kick out of it being a fun "retro-nostalgic" blast from the past.  Maybe we'll think we're still 25 if we don't pass any mirrors, lol!

I’m thinking P&O, from canaries to Malta 12 days, including flights very responsible and 2011 ship?

8 hours ago, roboref said:

Celebrity is not a luxury line compared to Regent, Oceania, Viking etc. It is an upscale cruise line when compared to the mass market cruise lines (NCL, Carnival, RCCL, Princess and Holland America). There are more amenities in the room on Celebrity, (robes, tote bags, fruit etc). The MDR is heads above NCL in general, not that I haven't had a nice meal in an NCL MDR. The service is much better in traditional dining on Celebrity than the Free for all that is Freestyle. The fact that on NCL Epic there wasn't a different main Theatre show each evening left entertainment lacking. The fact that the Beatles are in that little Cavern room is crazy. Are there things I like on NCL? Yes- The Cigar room is fantastic, that many other lines don't offer, some of the smaller no fee specialty dining that is offered is nice as well. Everyone has a favorite, many on here love NCL, I don't. At one time NCL was in top 2 of the main lines, now it has moved to the bottom. I try them all, mostly for an itinerary. NCL just has not kept up with the items that I enjoy on a cruise. 

Which was exactly my point. Someone had referred to them as luxury and I was questioning that. I invented the term 'mainstream plus' as a way to distinguish them being a step above RCC, NCL, etc but not quite to luxury level. And you jumped on my throat acting as if I couldn't have an opinion since I hadn't yet sailed on them.

Regardless, it's all about perspective. You dislike the Beatles show at the Cavern Club - I loved it there and only semi enjoyed it at the main theatre. The point of the smaller venue is to make it feel like you're in an actual club - the likes of CBGB and such when you got to see great acts before they became huge enough to fill entire baseball/football stadiums. It's more intimate and fun (to me). On one of our previous sailings they played the smaller Cavern Club, as well as the main theater - so they did cater to both groups of preferences. Maybe you missed that on your sailing...

When did you sail Epic? We've been on her twice and there were at least 2 "big" shows (Broadway type style) on our trips plus other illusionists/etc, so I find it odd you're saying there was only a single same show running every night. Again, if you haven't sailed NCL in a long time, your info about them may be outdated. Just saying.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, roboref said:

Yes, that is accurate. 2016 NCL Jewel to Alaska was so nice I purchased 2 Next cruise certificates. Used the first one in 2018 on NCL Epic. It left a lot to be desired in Food, entertainment, ship customer service. Asked for a refund on the other Cruise Next but was told NCL doesn't refund these. However, every other cruise line during COVID refunded without asking or calling any future cruise deposits, but not "No Service NCL". So, we booked NCL to Iceland from the UK in July 2020, then Covid hit, rescheduled for a TA on NCL pearl in 2021, cancelled again, rebooked on Escape for March 2022, but cancelled on Tuesday for a Saturday sailing. Your point is that I don't have much experience on NCL, that just isn't true. I loved it enough in 2016 to buy 2 future cruise certificates, it changed so much for the worse, that once my Cruise Next  and the 50% credit for the cancelled NCL Escape are used this coming March, if I go at all will be my last on NCL. So, your point about going is moot as NCL hasn't been able to accommodate any of the last 3 years bookings I have made. NCL has had plenty of opportunity to "wow" me over the last 6 years, but have just left a bad taste in my mouth. I will go to cruise lines who care about me as a customer. 

I really, really like slamming frankie boy del rio and co, but I'll only do it fairly. I don't think you're being fair in terms of your Cruise Next certificates. 

You purchased two Cruise Next (I believe Next Cruise is the same as Cruise Next based on your statements) in 2018. Two years, ok maybe 1.5 years before COVID. When you purchased them you should have known they were non-refundable, but are transferable. Maybe you didn't - those Cruise Next sales people are slimy, greasy cretins that just want your money. They are the only crew members I would speak ill of. I go on a cruise tomorrow and I'm going to talk with them again - I'm really hoping the ones on Getaway this time, change my mind! 

Anyway, now that we're over my dislike of Cruise Next sales people. You seemed to enjoy NCL, but you haven't been on a ship since your 2018 cruise. You make a big point about your last three bookings not happening. Did you hear about this global pandemic thing that has killed millions of people? It's called COVID. NCL didn't cancel just so they could punt you around like a football, although I guess you believe you're that important.

Alas, I hope you have a lovely experience on your "last" NCL cruise in March and never look back. But hey, if you don't want to go, you could kindly transfer that Cruise Next to me. I'll graciously accept it! 

• Like 6

18 hours ago, DrSea said:

This...it pains me to admit it. And I love NCL. It's my top 2 favorite lines. But the facts are the facts (even though values are subjective, lol)

I can also confirm that, we have only cruise NCL the past 13 years and we have definitely seen the crazy prices.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

I really, really like slamming frankie boy del rio and co, but I'll only do it fairly. I don't think you're being fair in terms of your Cruise Next certificates. 

You purchased two Cruise Next (I believe Next Cruise is the same as Cruise Next based on your statements) in 2018. Two years, ok maybe 1.5 years before COVID. When you purchased them you should have known they were non-refundable, but are transferable. Maybe you didn't - those Cruise Next sales people are slimy, greasy cretins that just want your money. They are the only crew members I would speak ill of. I go on a cruise tomorrow and I'm going to talk with them again - I'm really hoping the ones on Getaway this time, change my mind! 

Anyway, now that we're over my dislike of Cruise Next sales people. You seemed to enjoy NCL, but you haven't been on a ship since your 2018 cruise. You make a big point about your last three bookings not happening. Did you hear about this global pandemic thing that has killed millions of people? It's called COVID. NCL didn't cancel just so they could punt you around like a football, although I guess you believe you're that important.

Alas, I hope you have a lovely experience on your "last" NCL cruise in March and never look back. But hey, if you don't want to go, you could kindly transfer that Cruise Next to me. I'll graciously accept it! 

Will you pay me full value of my cruise next coupon? 

I kid (sorta). 

I literally bought my cruise next coupons in Jan of 2020. If I could go back in time, I would not have bought them. But it is what it is. After I use up my coupons, it will be a long time before I sail with NCL again as it seems like they are not sailing out of my home port at prices that I like. I can wait for them to get their act together. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

I am not really anxious to start a food fight. The 2 Cruise Next were purchased in 2016. I cruised in 2018 on Epic and thought it was really not the same cruise line. Non-refundable, eh Ok, you got me there. But after the horrible experience on Epic, I tried to use the Cruise Next and yes 2 cruises were cancelled due to COVID ( I had no idea why they were cancelled). The 3rd sailing was cancelled 4 weeks after NCL Escape ran aground, completely NCL's responsibility. The cruise cancelled on a Tuesday before sailing on Saturday, this was 3-4 weeks after the mishap. Maybe NCL could do the right thing and refund the cruise Next, but No! Said I have to book prior to Jan 1, 2023, while the 50% credit has to be used by April 4, 2023.  At least they could have matched up the dates. NCL should be way more flexible in the using of these credits. I pretty much don't sail in the early spring. My point being that NCL has been the most inflexible of all the cruise lines. Celebrity was non-refundable, but Celebrity refunded my next cruise deposit.  I don't consider the Cruise Next people bad at all. But this is just one example of poor customer service/relations that NCL has provided. 

Send me your address and I might just transfer the Cruise Next to you!

Edited by roboref

10 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

Which was exactly my point. Someone had referred to them as luxury and I was questioning that. I invented the term 'mainstream plus' as a way to distinguish them being a step above RCC, NCL, etc but not quite to luxury level. And you jumped on my throat acting as if I couldn't have an opinion since I hadn't yet sailed on them.

Regardless, it's all about perspective. You dislike the Beatles show at the Cavern Club - I loved it there and only semi enjoyed it at the main theatre. The point of the smaller venue is to make it feel like you're in an actual club - the likes of CBGB and such when you got to see great acts before they became huge enough to fill entire baseball/football stadiums. It's more intimate and fun (to me). On one of our previous sailings they played the smaller Cavern Club, as well as the main theater - so they did cater to both groups of preferences. Maybe you missed that on your sailing...

When did you sail Epic? We've been on her twice and there were at least 2 "big" shows (Broadway type style) on our trips plus other illusionists/etc, so I find it odd you're saying there was only a single same show running every night. Again, if you haven't sailed NCL in a long time, your info about them may be outdated. Just saying.

I totally agree with your characterization of Celebrity as mainstream Plus. Sorry you took my response as jumping down your throat. It was not meant that way. We sailed Epic in 2018. We had just been on RCCL mega ship Oasis, 3 months earlier and there isn't a positive comparison going NCL's way in my opinion. It is just like some people don't think I can have an opinion when I have been on NCL multiple times. I much prefer Celebrity to NCL. NCL has some really great itineraries and that is the main reason I book NCL. I love the Beetles show, but no reservations, we actually went and 1.5 early to get in so we could watch, and yes you are correct toward the end of the sailing they put them into the main Theatre because so many people and not been able to see them yet in the Cavern Club. On this particular sailing of Epic, the two main shows were repeated on other nights, so that the main theatre if you went to those 2 shows, and the beetles, you really didn't have much other entertainment options. 

It is just tiresome to see some NCL cheerleaders (not saying you), bad mouth other cruise lines when they haven't tried them. I try them all and can see the good, the bad, the great and the ugly of every line. I haven't had a horrible cruise yet.

On 9/1/2022 at 11:40 PM, roboref said:

We just saw a transatlantic on Celebrity for next November for 16 days compared to NCL 10 day. 12 day, cruises on the same dates, Celebrity is a lot cheaper. The 16 day cruise with Celebrity starts out at $610 dollars inside cabin and even 1200 for a VERANDA compared to NCL starting prices at 1000 dollars for lower category staterooms and as i said less days. We have never been on Celebrity, but looking at their prices they are definitely more competitive,  of course we have to consider the add-ons.

Edited by spanishguy1970
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, spanishguy1970 said:

We just saw a transatlantic on Celebrity for next November for 16 days compared to NCL 10 day. 12 day, cruises on the same dates, Celebrity is a lot cheaper. The 16 day cruise with Celebrity starts out at $610 dollars inside cabin and even 1200 for a VERANDA compared to NCL starting prices at 1000 dollars for lower category staterooms and as i said less days. We have never been on Celebrity, but looking at their prices they are definitely more competitive,  of course we have to consider the add-ons.

Just be careful... once you add all the extras the true price may not be as big a difference as you think. That $610 price you're seeing more than doubles when you add in basics like the drink package and stuff that NCL is giving for 'free'. Plus Celebrity has a higher minimum deposit which isn't refundable.

image.png.a9e7deb4c35f36d177877cf0ec27bdde.png

image.png.08ab42b1a842767f1ea0ccf3e1e98e6b.png

The 12 day on NCL comes out lower - granted, it's less days, but again, not as big a difference as it looks at a first glance until you compare similar things.

image.png.9c46578617e2c6aa4cc061f4b192cf79.png

Sail whichever line is better for you - but just make sure you're doing a fair comparison before saying one is outright cheaper than the other.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, spanishguy1970 said:

Interesting. I found this:

Celebrity Transatlantic from Rome 16 days Nov. 6 2022: 2 ppl, Balcony, drinks, wifi, gratuities, regular dining only, taxes & fees: $4,987.72 (If you book this weekend, $150 OBC per cabin)

NCL Transatlantic from Rome 16 days Nov. 1 2022: 2 ppl, Balcony, drinks, wifi, gratuities, specialty dining, excursion credit per port (9 ports), taxes & fees: $4,405.26

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

Just be careful... once you add all the extras the true price may not be as big a difference as you think. That $610 price you're seeing more than doubles when you add in basics like the drink package and stuff that NCL is giving for 'free'. Plus Celebrity has a higher minimum deposit which isn't refundable.

The 12 day on NCL comes out lower - granted, it's less days, but again, not as big a difference as it looks at a first glance until you compare similar things.

Sail whichever line is better for you - but just make sure you're doing a fair comparison before saying one is outright cheaper than the other.

Yes, just noticed. We don’t ever take drinking package or dining package so i am looking at the basic price which is what we do with NCl.. but thank you for the info

7 minutes ago, 2 Fun Guys said:

Interesting. I found this:

Celebrity Transatlantic from Rome 16 days Nov. 6 2022: 2 ppl, Balcony, drinks, wifi, gratuities, regular dining only, taxes & fees: $4,987.72 (If you book this weekend, $150 OBC per cabin)

NCL Transatlantic from Rome 16 days Nov. 1 2022: 2 ppl, Balcony, drinks, wifi, gratuities, specialty dining, excursion credit per port (9 ports), taxes & fees: $4,405.26

Again we do the basic pricing just as we do with NCl we don’t drink we don’t care for specialty restaurants, wifi etc. so price for price i found Celebrity cheaper without all the add ons, i said it in my original post.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sailing12Away said:

Does the NCL quote include the daily service charge? The celebrity quote above includes daily tips, and the NCL quote doesn't show it (maybe it is included below what we see?). If the NCL quote does not include daily tips you would need to add $360 to the NCL quote. NCL 3140 vs Celebrity at $3247 and Celebrity is 4 days longer. 

On 9/2/2022 at 12:14 PM, DrSea said:

This...it pains me to admit it. And I love NCL. It's my top 2 favorite lines. But the facts are the facts (even though values are subjective, lol)

who are everyone elses favourite lines that might make out cheaper? 
 I think before I book flights, I should review this NCL cruise I had on my calendar!!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I'm shocked and bewildered by NCL's pricing post-covid. We've only ever sailed NCL since our first cruise in 2007 and assumed we sail with them again on our first cruise since 2018.  A week later this year up and down the Mexican Riviera seemed the choice.  

Oh boy... a simple balcony cabin for two with no drink package is coming in at $6810 CDN! I compared it to a Princess Cruise, same dates, same itinerary... $3089 CDN. Less than half the cost.  

The original poster is still right, crazy pricing!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, slowhand said:

I'm shocked and bewildered by NCL's pricing post-covid. We've only ever sailed NCL since our first cruise in 2007 and assumed we sail with them again on our first cruise since 2018.  A week later this year up and down the Mexican Riviera seemed the choice.  

Oh boy... a simple balcony cabin for two with no drink package is coming in at $6810 CDN! I compared it to a Princess Cruise, same dates, same itinerary... $3089 CDN. Less than half the cost.  

The original poster is still right, crazy pricing!

Yes they are getting pricey on some cruises I’ve looked at what used to get me a balcony for 2 barely covers an inside. 

On 2/14/2023 at 5:25 AM, njkate said:

Yes they are getting pricey on some cruises I’ve looked at what used to get me a balcony for 2 barely covers an inside. 

Here's a contrarian data point.  Both are cruises that I booked myself direct with NCL and sailed.  Both are seven day Alaska cruises in May.  I have both final NCL invoices on my computer.

May 2018: 7 day Pearl from Seattle, IF inside cabin, beverage package and $25 per person OBC

Total cost: $2367

May 2022: 7 day Encore from Seattle, BA balcony cabin, beverage package, 2 meal specialty dining, 150 minutes internet, $50 SHOREX credit

Total cost: $2767 (initial booking was an IF inside at $2665, but I was able to upgrade very cheap)

My only point is that broad statements that NCL is much more expensive is simply not true in all cases.  I don't know about itineraries in other parts of the world because I don't sail them.  AK has been my favorite and these are the best personal data points I have.  

well, on the other hand, im looking at a 21 day cruise from capetown to barcleona march 2024.

we travel with a close friend, and a 2 bedroom suite on the ncl dawn is (drum roll please) $25000 and that includes my 10% military discount.

we're booked on a back to back this july, london to copenhagen, copenhagen to stockholm.

19 day cruise, again with our friend, and the 2 bedroom was  $19000. if she wasnt joining us, and we wanted the family suite with balcony, it was $15,000, b2b

now, im not b***hing, but it is a little costly. much higher  than previous cruises the 3 of us have taken. and yes, i understand we dont have to book a suite, but (1) other than the 3 bedroom, this is the only cabin category that offers a 2nd bathroom, and (2) if we both booked a club balcony suite, the price is almost the same and we wouldnt get the perks