Weather in late October

nancyt609

4 minutes ago, nancyt609 said:

We are looking to cruise October 23rd leaving NY. Wondering if it is really too cold to enjoy a balcony cabin and if things have closed for the season?

To New England and Canadian ports??  I did not know cruise lines offered those itineraries in late October... could be pretty chilly and many tourist type things long closed up.

• Like 1

It can be quite warm or kinda cold depending on the weather - and no one can tell you which this far out. Bar Harbor will be pretty much closed up by then. Don't forget that you are going pretty far north on this cruise.

If you are looking to spend a lot of time on your balcony, you may be disappointed.

If you are going to see fall foliage, you will be VERY disappointed. The leaves will be long gone by then, and you'll be looking at a lot of bare trees.

I live in Maine and am looking forward to a Canada cruise on Sept 17th. I would not book a Canada/New England cruise that late in October. The weather is WAY too unpredictable and could be quite cold and windy.

• Thanks 1

The only ports you may see any foilage are Bar Harbor and Portland. In Boston you will dock in an industrial area. In Canada, you're probably too far away from land to see anything. In terms of shops being open, most will open if there are ships in town. The only one where shops may be closed is Bar Harbor.

With questions like this I ask myself what the weather has been like on Halloween throughout my life. Yep, it has been warm, cool, hot, cold, dry, wet.

I do understand your question, though! I am currently preparing for a late September C/NE cruise, and wondering what to pack.  At this point it is all on hold until closer to the date.

In our case, we are fortunate in that we have spectacular fall foliage at home, and have never thought about looking for any on a fall cruise, plus we do not particularly enjoy balcony cabins, so always book OV.

FWIW, here in eastern Canada and northern New England, we can expect regular nightly frost by the end of October, days in the 50s on average.  The coastal cities may be a bit milder due to the calming influence of the ocean/Gulf Stream, but I would imagine that if one was embarking on a C/NE cruise that late in the season, it will be quite cool, especially at night.  By Halloween the leaves have almost fully dropped and we're well into leaf raking season.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2022 at 7:18 AM, shipgeeks said:

With questions like this I ask myself what the weather has been like on Halloween throughout my life. Yep, it has been warm, cool, hot, cold, dry, wet.

I do understand your question, though! I am currently preparing for a late September C/NE cruise, and wondering what to pack.  At this point it is all on hold until closer to the date.

In our case, we are fortunate in that we have spectacular fall foliage at home, and have never thought about looking for any on a fall cruise, plus we do not particularly enjoy balcony cabins, so always book OV.

Nancy, we are in Cambria County and enjoy great foliage, also. Your comment about Halloween rang true. Weather could be anything!

First Canada/NE cruise was in early September, and it was cool. Second one was in late September, and it was very warm (70s) and sunny.