Best way to get to cap liberty from midtown?

angelhelly

4 minutes ago, angelhelly said:

Looking at lyft cost, seems about $150! Any better options or suggestions?

You might be looking at it while it's on surge pricing or maybe you are looking at a premium option. UberX and Lyft are typically about $90 from Midtown. That's what I would do. 

29 minutes ago, angelhelly said:

Hello,

Title said it all. Planning our Anthem cruise. Saturday night, we are staying in an hotel mid town by NY public library. Looking at lyft cost, seems about $150! Any better options or suggestions?

As I write this I'm getting an estimate in the low $70's for an UberX .

6 hours ago, njhorseman said:

As I write this I'm getting an estimate in the low $70's for an UberX .

You could find a cheaper way, by taking RR to Newark or Hudson tube across the river, but by the time you add in local taxis to/from rail crossings, your savings would not be all that significant.  

Plus:  you want to keep in mind the point of the whole exercise — saving money is NOT why you book a cruise in the first place.

On 8/28/2022 at 1:42 PM, angelhelly said:

Looking at lyft cost [from New York to Bayonne], seems about $150! Any better options or suggestions?

When we cruise out of Bayonne, we use public transportation getting to and from Cape Liberty Cruise Port. Between midtown or lower Manhattan and Bayonne the fare is $5.00 per person, plus approximately $10 for the taxi or TLC vehicle between the public transit station or stop and the passenger terminal at the port. For the two of us, we plan on spending a total of $20 each way.

For us, we would not treat travel to and from the departure port any differently from any other travel we do locally in and around New York City . . . which is using our excellent public transportation system. Moreover, a cruise is a cheap holiday, and it would not make sense to be extravagant by departing from routine practice and using private car services unnecessarily. But ultimately, the extravagance of one's travel is a personal choice.

Edited by GTJ

8 minutes ago, GTJ said:

When we cruise out of Bayonne, we use public transportation getting to and from Cape Liberty Cruise Port. Between midtown or lower Manhattan and Bayonne the fare is $5.00 per person, plus approximately $10 for the taxi or TLC vehicle between the public transit station or stop and the passenger terminal at the port. For the two of us, we plan on spending a total of $20 each way.

That is if you were staying right by the Hudson Tube stop - otherwise you should add bus, subway or taxi fare from where you stay to the tube station - which, when you consider the hassle (luggage) involved, makes that $70 Uber cost not that excessive.

4 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

That is if you were staying right by the Hudson Tube stop - otherwise you should add bus, subway or taxi fare from where you stay to the tube station.

Much of midtown is walkable to the station at 33rd Street and Sixth Avenue. (There are several other stations south of 33rd Street as well.) But it is certainly true that coming from a location from beyond that part of midtown Manhattan that is reasonably walkable to the station may incur an additional nominal cost. We actually reside beyond reasonable walking distance from that station, so we do, in fact, either use an unlimited-use MetroCard or pay an additional $2.75 for the subway between home and midtown.

2 hours ago, GTJ said:

Much of midtown is walkable to the station at 33rd Street and Sixth Avenue. (There are several other stations south of 33rd Street as well.) But it is certainly true that coming from a location from beyond that part of midtown Manhattan that is reasonably walkable to the station may incur an additional nominal cost. We actually reside beyond reasonable walking distance from that station, so we do, in fact, either use an unlimited-use MetroCard or pay an additional $2.75 for the subway between home and midtown.

If you are travelling light, taking a subway (stairs) to get to the Path station can be fairly easy, but a real strain with much luggage - to get on and off subway and on and off Path, and to taxi to get to pier, while at “nominal cost”, is not part of an enjoyable vacation.  In my view, if I am spending hundreds of $ per day for a cruise vacation, paying perhaps $40 or $50 more to avoid a time-consuming hassle just makes sense.

I usually pay a whole lot more than that differential to get some shipboard accommodations more enjoyable than the bare minimum inside.  My whole point in going on a cruise is to enjoy myself — I can save a few more bucks by staying home.

5 hours ago, GTJ said:

Dragging your cruise luggage, and simply walking from point A to point B, are two different things. You like to be frugal. We get it. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Got2Cruise said:

Dragging your cruise luggage, and simply walking from point A to point B, are two different things. You like to be frugal. We get it. 

That's very much the idea: we're all different! We're not well off financially, and it is challenging to make ends meet. We have no automobile and routinely we use buses and trains to go most places. (We did invest in luggage on wheels, so need for us to drag baggage . . . wheeling luggage is not much different than walking without!) For us, a cruise is a cheap getaway, where for $30 to $50 per night we get room, board, entertainment, and transportation . . . really, an outstanding bargain. I know many others who view things much the same (including a well-known New York-based cruise travel writer many on these boards would recognize). Yet others have different values or objectives. They may have money to burn, may want to be pampered, or may not want to think about or do anything.

It is because there are so many differences among us I tend to hesitate when asked within these fora for what is "best" for this or for that. I can explain what we do, I can provide details on some of the choices, and I may try to analyze those choices. Here, the question asked was, "Any better options or suggestions?" compared to paying $150 for a Lyft ride. Responses to this type of question should explain what other options there might be, but not limiting such options to any particular set of personal values or objectives. I explained we use public transportation so as not to pay $150 for Lyft transportation. Other responses to the question dispute the cost for a TNC ride, but I don't think that anyone else has provided other options.

2 hours ago, GTJ said:

Here, the question asked was, "Any better options or suggestions?" compared to paying $150 for a Lyft ride. Responses to this type of question should explain what other options there might be, but not limiting such options to any particular set of personal values or objectives. I explained we use public transportation so as not to pay $150 for Lyft transportation. Other responses to the question dispute the cost for a TNC ride, but I don't think that anyone else has provided other options.

Uber is likely to run about $60 to 70 - so hauling luggage onto two trains and a taxi is not the only reasonable way to get from midtown Manhattan to Port Liberty .