Where are the comments from the Britannia Passengers?

Lakesregion

On 9/13/2022 at 11:01 PM, carolina_yankee said:

Jeez, have we lost the art of conversation?

Sadly it would appear so. At dinner on QV we had a 2 top which as you know are pretty close in Brittania to other 2 tops. We only saw the young couple on the table next to us on one night of the 7 and they both pretty much spent the entire time looking at their phones, they didn't talk to each other let alone strike up conversation with us! On most cruises we've had wonderful chats with couples either side of us. I do think technology is killing the art of conversation. 🤔🤔

• Like 1

On 9/3/2022 at 6:01 AM, wynkys said:

As an infrequent traveller on Cunard over a period of seventy years, I would like to contribute to this topic.

I have sailed Britannia class on QE2, however, in 2004 I travelled along with my mother in PG on both QM2's inaugural crossing and on QE2 for the tandem crossing and I felt somewhat letdown feeling

excluded from the main dining room festivities for both those crossings.

I am booked on Queen Elizabeth in December this year and will be back in Britannia.

We have travelled in all four "classes" and it depends simply on finances as to which we book in. We have enjoyed every one of them and felt we got our money's worth each time and never felt hard-done-by in Britannia.

The mention of festivities in the main dining room reminds me of a crossing we made during the Diamond Jubilee of our late beloved Queen. There were many decorations and a fabulous tea table on Deck 2. We noticed a lot of flags and bunting when we looked in the Britannia Restaurant. In the Princess Grill, where we were this voyage,  there were two small Union Jacks on the M.D.'s desk. That was it.

After dinner we were walking past the Britannia restaurant when I heard the singing of "God Save the Queen."  This was followed by three cheers for HM.  

6 hours ago, 2BACRUISER said:

I do think technology is killing the art of conversation. 🤔🤔

Quite agree!  My Niece-in-Law is in her late 20's or early  30's and had depended heavily on her phone.  It has been very frustrating to try to carry on a conversation with her; my Nephew discussed his concern with me about trying to converse with her while they were dating and he was debating whether to propose.  But, to her credit, her ability to carry on a conversation, relatively smoothly, has improved.  Practice makes perfect?  

On 9/13/2022 at 6:01 PM, carolina_yankee said:

Your table mates will never see you again and never know better. 🙂 

That kind of exaggeration may catch up with you even during your cruise.

On 9/13/2022 at 2:27 PM, Underwatr said:

I think that's just a milder form of getting to know you than asking what you do/did for a living. Small talk.

On 9/13/2022 at 5:27 PM, Se1lad said:

- when people say 'How many cruises have you had - this is our 215th!' it feels more like they are trying to show off. 

I don't object to small talk.  But, if I actually stated the proper number of cruises that I have sailed, then, some may think that I am trying to "show off" when they know what I did for a living,  I ran into this during one cruise when I had fewer than the number of cruises than I do now.  A tablemate questioned me about how I could afford to have sailed on that many cruises because of my career.  My traveling companion made a few comments that shut the woman up and her attitude towards me changed.  

12 hours ago, 2BACRUISER said:

Sadly it would appear so. At dinner on QV we had a 2 top which as you know are pretty close in Brittania to other 2 tops. We only saw the young couple on the table next to us on one night of the 7 and they both pretty much spent the entire time looking at their phones, they didn't talk to each other let alone strike up conversation with us! On most cruises we've had wonderful chats with couples either side of us. I do think technology is killing the art of conversation. 🤔🤔

I remember in the early ‘90s being in a theatre and watching a couple pull out books to read during intermission rather than talk to each other about he play. Very odd!! With or without technology, those who don’t like to socialize will find ways not to.  

We take our first Cunard cruise next summer. I’m debating if I want a 2-top knowing they will be close to other tables and we can chat with others if the circumstances flow that way, or to ask for a six-top so that we can know we’ll have people to chat with but it won’t be awkward if it’s just one other couple.  This will be our first ocean cruise without friends to form our own group with.

6 hours ago, carolina_yankee said:

I remember in the early ‘90s being in a theatre and watching a couple pull out books to read during intermission rather than talk to each other about he play. Very odd!! With or without technology, those who don’t like to socialize will find ways not to.  

We take our first Cunard cruise next summer. I’m debating if I want a 2-top knowing they will be close to other tables and we can chat with others if the circumstances flow that way, or to ask for a six-top so that we can know we’ll have people to chat with but it won’t be awkward if it’s just one other couple.  This will be our first ocean cruise without friends to form our own group with.

We're usually extremely sociable but as we've avoided 'the virus' so far, we thought it prudent to try and keep up our winning streak as best we could. We made the decision to go two top this year and probably join large tables next.

We weren't actually next to another table but still managed to chat to neighbouring fellow diners whilst maintaining a bit of 'space' and the ability to enjoy our own company on our first cruise since 'Autumn '19.

7 hours ago, carolina_yankee said:

I often wonder about two-top tables in close proximity.  Sometimes they are so close together that the waiter cannot pass between them.  In such situations the other couples have booked tables alone for themselves and find it a bit awkward as to whether I should join in conversations with people at another table or not.  In the past I have said an occasional comment and then later on in the meal I am thinking should I now keep myself to myself.  It is a bit like talking to someone on the tube, complete faux pas.

Regards John

Edited by john watson
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, carolina_yankee said:

My partner and I would be that couple. We're both avid readers, and while we converse often, we also enjoy being alone together - we have been known to sit at opposite ends of the couch, both reading. 

I am also an incredibly shy introvert, and conversations in public (especially in places like a theatre) seem to invite interaction with others, which I find both uncomfortable and draining. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, neeuqdrazil said:

My partner and I would be that couple. We're both avid readers, and while we converse often, we also enjoy being alone together - we have been known to sit at opposite ends of the couch, both reading. 

I am also an incredibly shy introvert, and conversations in public (especially in places like a theatre) seem to invite interaction with others, which I find both uncomfortable and draining. 

I too am an avid reader. I can read two [lightweight] books a day on a cruise if I'm having a totally lazy 'me' day and if we/I go early to the theatre in order to grab a box on Victoria, I take a book or my Kindle with me.

'You' are never alone if you have a good book with you.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, john watson said:

I often wonder about two-top tables in close proximity.  Sometimes they are so close together that the waiter cannot pass between them.  In such situations the other couples have booked tables alone for themselves and find it a bit awkward as to whether I should join in conversations with people at another table or not.  In the past I have said an occasional comment and then later on in the meal I am thinking should I now keep myself to myself.  It is a bit like talking to someone on the tube, complete faux pas.

Regards John

Our recent river cruise was at 25% capacity so everybody had their own table in the dining room. We generally sat next to a family from Texas. They always managed to start up a conversation. 🙂 Actually, with a total of 39 guests, we developed a familiarity with one another that generally doesn’t happen on a cruise ship so it was less awkward.

I, too, respect boundaries and tend to wait for others to start the conversation if they aren’t at my table.

8 hours ago, neeuqdrazil said:

I can understand that. I’m less of an introvert now, but I’m still more interested in genuine conversation or contact than forced. 

On 9/15/2022 at 10:07 AM, 2BACRUISER said:

Sometimes my wife and I don't speak much while eating in a restaurant.......that's because we are listening to YOU! We compare notes after the meal and speculate on the missing bits.  We've picked up some very interesting conversations over the years......

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, godfreyb said:

Sometimes my wife and I don't speak much while eating in a restaurant.......that's because we are listening to YOU! We compare notes after the meal and speculate on the missing bits.  We've picked up some very interesting conversations over the years......

Loved this.

We learnt a lot about a couple who dined near us last month and yet we never actually exchanged a personal word!! Our main saving grace was they dined early of an evening, and we dined later but we had  a few giggles and our eyes still had a lot of exercise in the eye rolling department. 😀

I do sometimes wonder if folk are aware how their voices carry.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, godfreyb said:

Does nobody else find this daunting? The thought that my neighbours in the restaurant might be eavesdropping my conversation and mentally marking it for quality is very inhibiting. I may never feel brave enough to utter again.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Does nobody else find this daunting? The thought that my neighbours in the restaurant might be eavesdropping my conversation and mentally marking it for quality is very inhibiting. I may never feel brave enough to utter again.

Why daunting?

Normal conversation levels don't carry. Strident voicers, do especially when they drown out your own conversations.

Now I might be the odd one out here but when my dining partner hears others' conversations over my own, then I find that intrusive and yes, amusing at times.

OK, 'drown out' might be slightly exaggerating, but not much. I have no wish to hear about the day to day lives  of folk which  I'm sorry seemed  utterly tedious and thus the eye rolling exercise.

Speak at a normal conversational level and it will be lost in the general buzz from the rest of the restaurant.

Edited by Victoria2

32 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Why daunting?

Normal conversation levels don't carry. Strident voicers, do especially when they drown out your own conversations.

Now I might be the odd one out here but when my dining partner hears others' conversations over my own, then I find that intrusive and yes, amusing at times.

OK, 'drown out' might be slightly exaggerating, but not much. I have no wish to hear about the day to day lives  of folk which  I'm sorry seemed  utterly tedious and thus the eye rolling exercise.

Speak at a normal conversational level and it will be lost in the general buzz from the rest of the restaurant.

Well, I can usually hear those at the next tables as well as my own companion. And, given the age of Cunard passengers, inevitably some of them are a little deaf, which  tends to make for rather louder conversation.  I usually make a minimal acquaintance with those at adjacent tables, so that, if they want to know about me, they can ask, rather than bothering to eavesdrop. Much less unnerving.

33 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Well, I can usually hear those at the next tables as well as my own companion. And, given the age of Cunard passengers, inevitably some of them are a little deaf, which  tends to make for rather louder conversation.  I usually make a minimal acquaintance with those at adjacent tables, so that, if they want to know about me, they can ask, rather than bothering to eavesdrop. Much less unnerving.

There's a huge difference between eavesdropping and being an unwilling party to others' conversations. 

One is done intentionally, the other, isn't. 

We haven't overheard conversations from others as we did on our last cruise. There was no way we couldn't not hear every single word and they certainly didn't have age  'to blame'.

We found it amusing. Better that take than  bxxxxy annoying!🙂

Edited by Victoria2