Port Canaveral check in times-strict?

zanydoc

What are these "Boarding Times" anyway.  When I cruised out of Seattle in May, the line up was unbelievably long just to get into the terminal.  However, the terminal waiting area, the seating area, was empty.  So, "Boarding Times" are actually "Enter the Terminal" times.  Back in the day (that's pre-COVID), a "Boarding Time" was an actual boarding time.  Everybody entered the terminal at whatever time, sat in the waiting area/seating area and waited until they called your boarding time.  Now it is a time to enter the terminal, get checked in, verified, and then go straight to the ship, unless something happened to delay boarding.  

When I'm not Star Class (not bragging, just a fact), I arrive at the terminal when I arrive at the terminal, most times I can not control exactly what time I get there.  I'll wait or go in, whatever is happening at the time.  I wait at the terminal or somewhere else.  I prefer to wait at the terminal and watch the show, the people show!

7 minutes ago, island lady said:

No drinks served sitting inside the terminal before they let pax board.  😉 

That’s for sure. Just off Symphony (Mia) where we boarded at 1025….and the drinks were flowing there 😍.  That’s generally early enough.  Best advice I’ve heard at any port….weigh the risk/reward, and act accordingly. 

Edited by bucfan2

I've seen the lines set up but only used when boarding Harmony. The lines are set up back a ways from the entrance and I think are only used when the line gets to a certain length. That is more likely to happen with Harmony.

I sure was thankful when I showed up late and was allowed to to skip all those waiting to board harmony in August.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jam19872016 said:

I've seen the lines set up but only used when boarding Harmony. The lines are set up back a ways from the entrance and I think are only used when the line gets to a certain length. That is more likely to happen with Harmony.

I sure was thankful when I showed up late and was allowed to to skip all those waiting to board harmony in August.

Indeed.  Boarding procedures for Harmony is different than Indy.  

16 hours ago, Ret MP said:

What are these "Boarding Times" anyway.  When I cruised out of Seattle in May, the line up was unbelievably long just to get into the terminal.  However, the terminal waiting area, the seating area, was empty.  So, "Boarding Times" are actually "Enter the Terminal" times.  Back in the day (that's pre-COVID), a "Boarding Time" was an actual boarding time.  Everybody entered the terminal at whatever time, sat in the waiting area/seating area and waited until they called your boarding time.  Now it is a time to enter the terminal, get checked in, verified, and then go straight to the ship, unless something happened to delay boarding.  

There's no way to give a true boarding time since there's no way to know when the ship will be cleared for boarding or what kind of lines there will be once you enter the terminal

• Like 2

8 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

There's no way to give a true boarding time since there's no way to know when the ship will be cleared for boarding or what kind of lines there will be once you enter the terminal

Exactly true.  However, as I remember it, they still called out the boarding times no matter how late actual boarding was/is.  And it was a lot easier/comfortable waiting IN the terminal while waiting.  Not out in a line in the heat/cold/rain/sun/bugs/being ADA, etc etc.

1 minute ago, Ret MP said:

Exactly true.  However, as I remember it, they still called out the boarding times no matter how late actual boarding was/is.  And it was a lot easier/comfortable waiting IN the terminal while waiting.  Not out in a line in the heat/cold/rain/sun/bugs/being ADA, etc etc.

Now I'm questioning myself/my memory.  Now I seem to remember that maybe it wasn't a boarding time, it may have been a seating area was assigned after you checked in, in the terminal.  The seating assignment was based upon you boarding time or at the arrival time to the check-in desk.  It could have been either way, it's just not clear now.

Either way, I don't think, again that's means it's my opinion, it is good customer service to have EVERYONE STANDING in a line outside of a perfectly good terminal building, enduring the elements just because of a "Terminal Entry" time.  I think they realized during the COVID debacle that it took fewer people to manage the lines outside than to manage the seating, clean-up and movement of people in the terminal.  I believe it's about the $$$ not good and compassionate customer service.

49 minutes ago, DShock said:

Is there a Suite line for Harmony?

Yes, far right of the middle section (closer to inside of garage).   Only two lines there...one general line, and then the suite/pinnacle line is the second one.  This is the line that you go into the terminal, of which they check to be sure you have set sail pass and Passport.  

Another two line sections once inside, just before security scanners. 

Escalator/elevator past that point to upper area for check in at desk.  If they are not boarding yet, you can sit in the suite's area to the far right front corner.  

Enjoy your cruise. 🙂