Help with cabin choice

twentyknots

My wife and I are cruising with our son and his wife in late January, 2023 on the Reflection.  It will be our 28th cruise and their 2nd. We have been on the Reflection twice before.  I hope she’s just as nice now as then.   Their 1st was on the Carnival Fascination, so I hope he’ll appreciate the difference.  He did not care much for cruising and voted to go to an all-inclusive in January at the Hard rock Punta Cana but the vote was 3 to 1 for the cruise.

We’ve been in a SV cabin twice before but in Holland’s Neptune suite in a wrap-around huge covered balcony on deck 5.  I’d like for them to experience the aft-facing views so were holding 2214 and 2223 on deck 12.  We have to decide by September 2.  I chose deck 12 because it has a covered balcony.  I would rather have a lower deck, say deck 9 because it’ll probably be a little quieter but from what I’ve read has full sun and can get quite hot.  Also, my son worries a little that a cabin on deck 12 in the back might be a little rough and cause motion sickness.

Here are my questions:

Are the lower decks full sun for the SV cabins?

Does he have a point about the motion on deck 12?  Would moving down to deck 9 make any difference in motion?  We didn’t feel any motion in our SV Neptune suite but that was on deck 5.

Are the balconies at mid-ship covered?

Are the “hump” cabins a good location?

8 minutes ago, twentyknots said:

My wife and I are cruising with our son and his wife in late January, 2023 on the Reflection.  It will be our 28th cruise and their 2nd. We have been on the Reflection twice before.  I hope she’s just as nice now as then.   Their 1st was on the Carnival Fascination, so I hope he’ll appreciate the difference.  He did not care much for cruising and voted to go to an all-inclusive in January at the Hard rock Punta Cana but the vote was 3 to 1 for the cruise.

We’ve been in a SV cabin twice before but in Holland’s Neptune suite in a wrap-around huge covered balcony on deck 5.  I’d like for them to experience the aft-facing views so were holding 2214 and 2223 on deck 12.  We have to decide by September 2.  I chose deck 12 because it has a covered balcony.  I would rather have a lower deck, say deck 9 because it’ll probably be a little quieter but from what I’ve read has full sun and can get quite hot.  Also, my son worries a little that a cabin on deck 12 in the back might be a little rough and cause motion sickness.

Here are my questions:

Are the lower decks full sun for the SV cabins?

Does he have a point about the motion on deck 12?  Would moving down to deck 9 make any difference in motion?  We didn’t feel any motion in our SV Neptune suite but that was on deck 5.

Are the balconies at mid-ship covered?

Are the “hump” cabins a good location?

We love the balconies mid ship on the slant just off the hump. Those are larger balconies and if motion sickness is concerning to him those might be a better option than a SV. Also the higher the deck the more motion might be felt. 

23 minutes ago, twentyknots said:

Philly Burbs, how about 9243 and 9296?  Is that the slant you're talking about?

Yes, they are both on the slant. 9296 will have a bigger balcony than 9243 but both will be bigger than a normal balcony. Here's a link to cruisedeckplans.com that will show the info.

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/Celebrity-Reflection. After clicking the link choose deck 9. If you hover over the green stars you'll see the info. Those are both aft facing off the hump and will be more protected from wind. 

Edited by Luvcrusn

Decision time is approaching fast.  We’ve decided we definitely want SV cabin but can’t decide between deck 12 and 9.  We’re holding 2214 and 2223 but deck 9 is wide open right now so if we move down it would be to 9309 and 9384.

We’ve read the sticky for ‘S’ class cabins and many other reviews and videos and it’s clear that deck 12 has some noise issues.  Nevertheless, most say they had great experience there. 

Deck 9 SV’s reviews are all good.  The thing that keeps us from moving to 9 is the uncovered verandah.  The privacy issue doesn’t bother us.  My wife loves to sit out on the balcony and read in the afternoon and usually ends up taking a nap out there.  She can’t really do that in full sun.  I wonder if the little bit of overhang on deck 9 is enough to provide some shade for reading and napping if she sits close to the door.  Another thought is the direction the ship is sailing.  It’s a western Caribbean cruise so maybe not so much direct sun in the afternoon. 

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Remember that what goes west will come back east.  So there may be afternoon sun on the way west.  But the ship will also be going south and north, and finally east with afternoon sun.  You can’t have it all, all the time.  EM

?  I don’t see any on deck 12…those are Sky Suites, those on deck 9 are concierge class, therefore smaller.  I think you are confusing your categories.  SV cabins are on 6,7,8.  Just because they show an aft facing verandah doesn’t make them an SV.  EM

Edited by Essiesmom