Carnival first time cruiser impressions

zentraveler

5 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Did you get to see the fine example of caring for the well being of Carnival entertainers where they dress a female dancer up in a Las Vegas showgirl get up and have her pose for photographs with the slobbering male guests? At least they had two security guards hovering nearby to intervene if necessary.

It finally dawned on me that we may indeed have such a person on this trip. Every evening I have seen a nice looking young (30's not 14) woman with a hairstyle that reminded me of Annie Lennox in the earlier days (hard to describe) in a long, sparkly dress wandering around the lounge outside the MDR, and the MDR, having her picture taken with people. Not posted outside and photos are couples as well. Couldn't figure out to make of it so just filed it away. But it may be the modern version of the Las Vegas photo op. I will try to get a picture tonight. 

• Like 1

My first experience on the open sea was on a transatlantic voyage from Southampton to Philadelphia, Pa back in, I think 1982 on the QE2. It was commemorating something. Because we lived in the Phila. area my DH suggested we give it a try. He cruised before. I had not. We’ll, after 5 days on the open sea, I said I would never set foot aboard any ship or ocean liner again. Long story short, in 2 weeks we will do my 27th cruise.

This next cruise will be our 10th Carnival cruise. We have sailed with Cunard, Celebrity, RCCL, and Norwegian. Before we cruised on Carnival, we cruised mostly on Celebrity, but my SIL, insisted we try Carnival Legend. We were very skeptical, because we heard the usual stories. We’ll, to our surprise we enjoyed the cruise. There were no disturbances, no folks staggering drunk all over the ship, no loud, crazy parties, etc.

For us, cruising now is a far cry from our QE2, Celebrity and our other cruises back in the day. We are retired, prefer the smaller ships now. We feel that cruising is geared more toward families and as such, ships are huge, with more family oriented activities and it’s fit as many people on the ship as you can. For us, Carnival gets us where we want to go at a great price. Our last cruise was RCCL Grandeur out of Baltimore pre Covid, and before that in 2019 on Carnival Pride. To tell you the truth, both cruises to us were very similar. I felt one was not as lively as the other, the food was good on both. For now we will try any of the mainstream lines…we pretty much find fun on all. Wish me luck on my next “sisters” cruise (no husbands allowed) on the huge RCCL Anthem in 2023, which will be interesting (my 1st mega ship), especially during Spring Break.

• Like 4

On 9/2/2022 at 4:40 PM, zentraveler said:

The food is varied - lots of choices - and fine, but most of the dining room meals are pre-plated and if you want any variation at all you are out of luck. Quality to me like a decent chain restaurant; Olive Garden, Outback Steak House, Chipotele etc. 

Did you ask for something to be different?  We have never had an issue when ordering specifying a certain way we wanted something.  Like no sauce, no side, add this, etc.  They have always accommodated our request.  I think to say "if you want any variation, you are out of luck" is a bit misleading.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We were just on the Miracle for an Alaskan cruise and LOVED the ship.   It was refreshing to see the wild decors.   Every corner was filled with something to look at.   I hope Carnival always keeps a few of these ships around because it is a heritage they have.  I really think there are many of us who really like it.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, wemjam said:

Did you ask for something to be different?  We have never had an issue when ordering specifying a certain way we wanted something.  Like no sauce, no side, add this, etc.  They have always accommodated our request.  I think to say "if you want any variation, you are out of luck" is a bit misleading.

As a vegetarian, I will tell you that 9 times out of 10, I get a “no” when I ask if meat can be left out of a dish.

Now, I realize I could request special diet status and enlist a maitre d’ to consult with the chefs and plan out special meals for me.  That’s not my style.  I don’t want to be “high maintenance” and I want to order what I’m in the mood for then and there - not have it pre-planned out the day before.  I’m reasonably content to just choose the thing that is most appealing that I CAN eat.  

However, it doesn’t seem to be a big ask to leave the chicken out of huevos rancheros.  It’s just one less thing to add during assembly.  And huevos rancheros aren’t supposed to have chicken, anyway!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, iwingy said:

I appreciate OP’s balanced review. My opinion is somewhat similar. On my second Carnival cruise in two months right now, sailing to Ensenada. We mostly prefer calm and classy style of HAL and Princess, but the crowd there is super homogenous. I loved the diversity of the Carnival crowd sailing from Long Beach. What I am not a fan of are incredibly loud public spaces on Carnival. I am not seeing a difference between 7 day Panorama and 3 day Radiance so far in terms of level of noise and “fun”. I also think their ships are in need of more pool and deck space, it’s very crowded. What I love is the cabin layout and size - the best among 6 lines and 15+ ships I’ve been to. And the crew is truly lovely and caring. The biggest pro is we can drive to port, so we might be sailing with Carnival at some point again if they mix up their west coast itineraries.

I think it depends where you go.  I haven’t sailed a Vista class ship yet (will be on Panorama in two weeks!) but after watching millions of YouTube videos, it looks like the ship has tons of quiet, secluded spaces.  The entire Lanai seems mostly empty in every video I’ve seen, and there are spots on deck 11 that appear quiet and uncrowded.  Also, there’s that amazing Serenity deck.  Is that noisy, too?

I would never expect peace and quiet around the main pool deck on any ship or any line…

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Drew B 58 said:

I think it depends where you go.  I haven’t sailed a Vista class ship yet (will be on Panorama in two weeks!) but after watching millions of YouTube videos, it looks like the ship has tons of quiet, secluded spaces.  The entire Lanai seems mostly empty in every video I’ve seen, and there are spots on deck 11 that appear quiet and uncrowded.  Also, there’s that amazing Serenity deck.  Is that noisy, too?

I would never expect peace and quiet around the main pool deck on any ship or any line…

Plenty on the Panorama 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BTromboneFrack said:

We were just on the Miracle for an Alaskan cruise and LOVED the ship.   It was refreshing to see the wild decors.   Every corner was filled with something to look at.   I hope Carnival always keeps a few of these ships around because it is a heritage they have.  I really think there are many of us who really like it.  

I was thinking the same thing about the Miracle.  Very unique kind of busy details everywhere you look.  I found it kind of fun.  

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Drew B 58 said:

IMHO, there are plenty of quiet places on any ship that you are on. You just have to look. You may have to walk up a few flights of stairs (I know not everyone is able bodied), but those options are usually there. 

I use to study a lot while in high school, college, med school, etc while on these large mega ships, including those on NCL and RCL. So I can attest that there are plenty of quiet spots to read a book. 

• Like 2

The shorter the cruise, the hardier they party.  

If it's not on the menu, or on the plate you want, order it any way,  as long as you dine in the MDR it wont cost more, unless it is stated that it is.

Happy cruising, what ever line you are on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DrSea said:

IMHO, there are plenty of quiet places on any ship that you are on. You just have to look. You may have to walk up a few flights of stairs (I know not everyone is able bodied), but those options are usually there. 

I use to study a lot while in high school, college, med school, etc while on these large mega ships, including those on NCL and RCL. So I can attest that there are plenty of quiet spots to read a book. 

Completely agree  (and weren't you lucky! I spent medical school in the library's study carrels or at my desk at home). My best luck has been bars/lounges that are not open yet and have views. They always have comfortable lounge chairs. But there are lots of nooks on larger ships and the smaller ones often have libraries. Both especially important during covid. I am one of the few wearing a mask and getting to an area with few, if any people is great. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zentraveler said:

Completely agree  (and weren't you lucky! I spent medical school in the library's study carrels or at my desk at home). My best luck has been bars/lounges that are not open yet and have views. They always have comfortable lounge chairs. But there are lots of nooks on larger ships and the smaller ones often have libraries. Both especially important during covid. I am one of the few wearing a mask and getting to an area with few, if any people is great. 

Haha, not quite so lucky. I only went on one cruise during medical school. It was during my 3rd year where I was studying for the shelf exam for obgyn, which I CRUSHED. 

100% agree with the bolded areas. Those are the best areas.

I didn't want to mention this bc it may get controversial. IMHO, you don't have to spend money to have a section of the ship closed off to a select group of individuals. It's great if that's what you want to do, as you can pay for that convenience/amenities.

If I am seeking that on my cruise, then I like to explore the ship and find an area that is comfortable for me. I frame it as looking is a part of the adventure of discovering the ship. There are many criminally underused areas of the ship as is. You just have to find them, which is quite easy. But I get it if you just want to pay CCL or other cruise lines for the convenience to always have an area to go. There will be times where a free area that I want to go to is being occupied or used for events. In that case I go to other areas. Not a big deal. 

To each their own. 

Edited by DrSea
  • Like 2

While we sail Carnival a bunch and enjoy many parts of what carnival offers we find the loud over the top scenes every day in the pubic areas not of our choosing.  We simply pack up and depart once they change to the chair moving beat of loud music begins and seek out a quieter location.  We get it even though it’s not for us.  

Edited by Oldsweets
  • Like 4

On 9/3/2022 at 12:59 PM, ShakyBeef said:

I don't know how many, if any ships are still doing it, but I have seen this on several Carnival cruises over the years.  Usually two ladies, scantily clad in the showgirl costumes (sometimes of the thong variety, with butt cheeks exposed), outside the doors of the MDR, while guests are entering for dinner.  I always found it off-putting.  Degrading to the ladies involved.  And I didn't appreciate Carnival exposing my two young daughters to that display, on our way into a "nice" dinner on a "family friendly" cruise.

I’ll say something if I see it. I agree it’s degrading and sleazy.

• Like 2

On 9/3/2022 at 12:59 PM, ShakyBeef said:

I don't know how many, if any ships are still doing it, but I have seen this on several Carnival cruises over the years.  Usually two ladies, scantily clad in the showgirl costumes (sometimes of the thong variety, with butt cheeks exposed), outside the doors of the MDR, while guests are entering for dinner.  I always found it off-putting.  Degrading to the ladies involved.  And I didn't appreciate Carnival exposing my two young daughters to that display, on our way into a "nice" dinner on a "family friendly" cruise.

We've been on 16 Carnival Cruises and have never seen this.   

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, BTromboneFrack said:

We've been on 16 Carnival Cruises and have never seen this.   

I'm glad for you, then. Truly, I am.  Coincidentally, I, too, have been on sixteen Carnival cruises and I have seen it more than once.  I wish I hadn't.  I didn't bring the showgirls up, BTW. Another poster did.  I was just corroborating her report with my own experience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShakyBeef said:

I'm glad for you, then. Truly, I am.  Coincidentally, I, too, have been on sixteen Carnival cruises and I have seen it more than once.  I wish I hadn't.  I didn't bring the showgirls up, BTW. Another poster did.  I was just corroborating her report with my own experience.

27 cruises for me and yes, we saw it - but not in the last 16 years or so. So much with Carnival has changed in that time. Back when we started, they had a topless deck near the funnel. That's been gone a long time. They've really tried to rebrand themselves as a family-oriented line while still attracting adults without kids.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, nybumpkin said:

27 cruises for me and yes, we saw it - but not in the last 16 years or so. So much with Carnival has changed in that time. Back when we started, they had a topless deck near the funnel. That's been gone a long time. They've really tried to rebrand themselves as a family-oriented line while still attracting adults without kids.

The topless deck was still in existence on my first cruise, on Inspiration in 2005.  I remember forbidding my husband to go up there (while I was waddling around the ship, hugely pregnant with his second child😄).  But I'm sure the last time I saw the showgirls outside the MDR was more recent than 16 years ago - probably more like 10ish.  I can't remember which ship/year I last saw them (I had actually forgotten about them until the PP mentioned them), but definitely more recently than 16 years ago in my case.  Anyway, I suspect and hope that this is a thing of the past, as you say. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, staceyglow said:

I am just glad they recently stopped dressing crew members of various ethnicities in the traditional dress of whatever island they were stopped at for photo ops. I found that pretty offensive, and I would guess the locals did as well. 

Oh brother

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/3/2022 at 11:31 AM, wikoffclan said:

This is such a bunch of horse hockey. Been on 19 Carnival cruises and on every class (starting with Holiday) except Vista class. There has NEVER been this type of "entertainment" in front of the MDR or in any other venue. Just someone trying to stir up s**t... IMHO

My first cruise was in 1999 on the Elation, it was our honeymoon and they did in fact do this. I have a picture somewhere of my now ex husband with two of these ladies, one on either side of him dressed in elaborate Vegas style costumes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

My first cruise was in 1999 on the Elation, it was our honeymoon and they did in fact do this. I have a picture somewhere of my now ex husband with two of these ladies, one on either side of him dressed in elaborate Vegas style costumes.

Early signs? lol, jk

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

Yes, we have veered off course, but to wrap up this sub-discussion, am just off the ship and figured out last night that the figure I saw is the cruise director. She dresses in something sparkly and Vegas-like (NOT revealing in any way)  each evening and comes through the dining room and cocktail lounge and will pose for pictures. This may be a remnant or evolution of what some of you have described from the past. Nothing like anything risque or lewd anywhere on the ship. Lots of family activities. Did not go to the shows so can't comment on those but they sounded quite tame. 

• Like 1