San Marino

Mistic1357

Can't speak to going there from a port.

Prior to a recent Adriatic cruise departing from Ravenna, we stayed in Rimini which is south of Ravenna on the coast.  They have regular public bus service from there to central San Marino.  Central San Marino is picturesque and quite hilly, with some dramatic views of the countryside.

If your cruise is departing from Ravenna, staying a few days in Rimini is a nice option.  You can do a day trip up to San Marino, then an easy train ride up to Ravenna and the ship.  Plus, there is direct non-stop bus service from Bologna airport to Rimini.

• Like 1

We are starting an Azamara in cruise in Ravenna.  Since we will transfer there on the embarkation day,  we plan to see Ravenna that first day.  Then we are booked on the ship's excursion to San Marino after the overnight stay:

Stunning San Marino with Lunch – 9:30 am to 4:45 pm – $229 pp

Enjoy a winding drive to the summit of Titano Mountain, where lies the smallest republic in the world – San Marino. Be sure to bring your passport as a stamp from this microstate is a rarity. Take a moment to appreciate views that stretch to the Adriatic in one direction and far into the hills of Italy in the other. Then, set out on foot alongside a local guide, beginning in the Piazza della Liberta, where you'll witness the ceremonious Changing of the San Marino Guards. You'll also see the fabulous Neoclassical Basilica of San Marino and The Three Towers, castle-like citadels dating back to the 11th century. After your walk, enjoy some free time to explore further and, perhaps, do a little shopping on your own. Finally, regroup for lunch at a local restaurant and toast your discovery of the world's smallest republic over a glass of fine regional wine.

Because of the long bus ride, and the fact that our ship is scheduled to depart at 6 pm that day, I would not be willing to chance this trip other than as a ship excursion.  But if I didn't have tons of OBC to burn, I'm not sure if that passport stamp would be worth the time and expense...

We have book an Az shore excursion from Ravenna to San Marino on our 10 Oct ONWARD sailing ( still in Ravena on the 11th).   Truly hope that it still goes!   A country not yet visited!

13 minutes ago, DS said:

We have book an Az shore excursion from Ravenna to San Marino on our 10 Oct ONWARD sailing ( still in Ravena on the 11th).   Truly hope that it still goes!   A country not yet visited!

It will be interesting to visit a country where you don't say "I wish I had had a week to explore every corner of this place" – it seems that 'wham blam thank you ma'am' is the name of this game...

10 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

It will be interesting to visit a country where you don't say "I wish I had had a week to explore every corner of this place" – it seems that 'wham blam thank you ma'am' is the name of this game...

JazzBlue.... hope to meet you on this excursion.... I would note that your "quote" might be considered more offensive than a two letter English phrase I was blocked for...

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, DS said:

JazzBlue.... hope to meet you on this excursion.... I would note that your "quote" might be considered more offensive than a two letter English phrase I was blocked for...

Hey, that's a quote from the blues...  You got a problem with one of America's contributions to music culture?  [Jazz being the other one, and I'm a fan of both!]  🤣

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Everything done as part of a cruise stop is going to be a quickie. San Marino is charming with lots of beautiful view points, delicious food and very good wine. It’s worth a long weekend if done as part of a land trip. Plus, it’s a lot nicer than it used to be. The first time I visited, about 15 years ago, it was known as a great place to buy a gun, 😳 or a huge bottle of cheap, knock-off perfume. They had a bunch of souvenir shops with plastic gun replicas displayed out front. I think the guns are still available, but much more discreet. It’s all about views, history, food, and wine these days!

Edited by lisiamc
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Hey, that's a quote from the blues...  You got a problem with one of America's contributions to music culture?  [Jazz being the other one, and I'm a fan of both!]  🤣

Many songs that are part of UK, US or wherever’s culture can no longer be on broadcasting playlists and your phrase relating to “wham bam” if I used at work would lead to a disciplinary warning at a minimum regardless of its origin.  Origin would be no defence im afraid 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Sorry, we're not on your Onward cruise.  Our cruise is on Journey, Oct. 6 from Ravenna to Athens.

I'm getting off Journey on the day you get on and staying the night in Ravenna before getting on Quest on the 7th. We are sharing a few ports with you on that cruise. Perhaps we can at least meet for a drink in one of them. Would be good to put a face to the name. I think you are overnighting in Ravenna at the start too. 

Phil 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mistic1357 said:

Has anyone visited San Marino from Ravenna or any other port? Was the bus ride worth the time in the area?

We did San Marino as a tour from the Silhouette which originated in Venice and then stopped in Ravena. It was on hubby’s bucket list even though the trip was long.  I don’t remember it being too winding, at least not for the whole trip.  The countryside seemed nice, certain much better than the bus from Venice to Ravena!  

we found the passport stamp fairly expensive and because we’d have to wait for the to come back from lunch to get it opted out.  

The lunch prices, of course were different for locals than tourist but we enjoyed a small meal at one of the shops.

fwiw, The streets are steep, but there are lots of places to browse if you need to.  We even found a different road down.  For us, we had a lot of time on our own but I think the guide went almost to the top before setting us free.  I do remember wondering about the distance but the trip back seemed shorter.

1 minute ago, harrodsfan said:

A better simpler choice if you don’t like winding roads is Ravenna. The mosaics in the churches are breathtaking. One of the highlights of our trip. Bologna is a beautiful city too. And thanks for the tips on Rimini. 

I'd agree. The mosaics are stunning. Just like a painting from a distance. 

Phil 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I'm getting off Journey on the day you get on and staying the night in Ravenna before getting on Quest on the 7th. We are sharing a few ports with you on that cruise. Perhaps we can at least meet for a drink in one of them. Would be good to put a face to the name. I think you are overnighting in Ravenna at the start too. 

Phil 

Sounds like a great idea – I'll send you an email.

On 9/4/2022 at 7:30 AM, excitedofharpenden said:

Phil 

I sent you an email but I wonder if it's an old/bad address.  Please email me at HostJazzbeau@cruisecritic.com