Breakaway from NYC

Matahari47

Hello lovely people.

We are on Breakaway out of NYC next weekend. We are looking at transfers from cruise terminal out to Newark to pick up our flight home at end of cruise. NCL offer them at a fairly reasonable price door to door. I want to book but I am interested to find out the time of the transfer. NCL can’t give me an answer. We don’t fly until 5.40, but don’t want to be taken to airport at 9am or a similarly early time. Anyone have experience of it or have any clues as to the likely time?

Thank you! 

Transfers run continuously. All ashore will be around 9:30-10:00 so that they can start embarking the next cruise by 11:00. You need to be out of your stateroom by 8:00. So, you can’t stay much beyond 9:30 at which time the transfers will end. 

You can take a post-cruise tour, but I don’t think any end at Newark. You would have to find your own transport from JFK or LGA to Newark. 

Edited by BirdTravels

Most airlines have done away with change fees. You might try to move up your flight. Or the idea of storing your luggage at a hotel ( you can find a list online) and sightseeing in Manhattan is a good one. My kids did this once. Or you can take the Circle line boat tour around Manhattan. It's a great three hours and the ship is very close to the pier. Your will need to get out to Newark By 2:30-3:00.  Your trip to the airport will cost you more than the ship's transfer but you do not want to spend 6 -8 hours at that airport.

22 minutes ago, The Shrike said:

We always just walk out of the terminal and grab a cab or shuttle.  There are tons of them waiting.  Got a limo once who charged us the same as a cab.

Just be careful.  There are a lot of Gypsy drivers that will be all over you as you leave the port.  They are no bargain.  In fact they are more than a standard yellow cab or Uber.  And they are very aggressive.  Walk across the street to the taxi stand, ignore anyone that comes up to you and either grab a cab or order an Uber.

Thank you. Might swerve the shuttle then! We are in Boston then NYC for few days before the cruise, and it will be our 4th trip to NYC. So I think we may have a mooch around for a couple of hours. Public transport looks like a good option. Uber to Penn station, train to Newark, Airtrain to terminal.$34 for both of us. It’s just a shame it’s not JFK as it’s a piece of cake getting there on LIRR x

25 minutes ago, Matahari47 said:

Thank you. Might swerve the shuttle then! We are in Boston then NYC for few days before the cruise, and it will be our 4th trip to NYC. So I think we may have a mooch around for a couple of hours. Public transport looks like a good option. Uber to Penn station, train to Newark, Airtrain to terminal.$34 for both of us. It’s just a shame it’s not JFK as it’s a piece of cake getting there on LIRR x

Midtown to JFK can be a nightmare sometimes compared to going to Newark. It might take and hour just to get across mid town Lol

47 minutes ago, Matahari47 said:

You did your research. It is easy to take NJ Transit from NY Penn Station to Newark Airport Station. Just make sure you get off at the airport station and not Newark Penn Station. Bon voyage!

1 hour ago, Matahari47 said:

From Penn Station by train, it is almost a wash going to EWR and JFK.  EWR might be faster actually.

4 hours ago, Russiamomm said:

Just be careful.  There are a lot of Gypsy drivers that will be all over you as you leave the port.  They are no bargain.  In fact they are more than a standard yellow cab or Uber.  And they are very aggressive.  Walk across the street to the taxi stand, ignore anyone that comes up to you and either grab a cab or order an Uber.

That's exactly what we do.

5 hours ago, Laszlo said:

Midtown to JFK can be a nightmare sometimes compared to going to Newark. It might take and hour just to get across mid town Lol

fyi I believe that LIRR = Long Island Railroad.  I could be wrong as I'm a railfan, not a New Yorker.

Edited by ChiefMateJRK

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

fyi I believe that LIRR = Long Island Railroad.  I could be wrong as I'm a railfan, not a New Yorker.

You are correct. One can take the LIRR from NY Penn Station to Jamaica Station and then from there take the Airtrain to JFK. Crosstown traffic avoided.