Brand Stinking New to HAL-questions

Derbie

Hello to all of you experienced HAL cruisers.  My husband and I have a cruise reserved for Thanksgiving week on the Statendam.  We have been on approximately 20-25 cruises on other lines.  We were supposed to take a two-week land/cruise Alaska adventure in August 2020; however, Covid put a hard halt on that trip, on three different occasions.  We don't really need a lot of advice in regard to the ports, as we have been to all of them (except the private Island) more than once in the past.  I would like general recommendations.  We booked under the Have it all offer.  I rarely drink and my husband drinks maybe a beer, ten times a year.  I do like my "nice" coffees.  I would like to get a recommendation, on where to try to get our dinner reservation? Suggestions on where to use our excursion offer?  I am thinking perhaps St. John, as we have never had opportunity to visit.   Things to "not" miss onboard in regards to entertainment and dinning?  How is the Wifi?  Mostly used to let people know we are good, etc.  I did review the New HAL posts for a good bit of this year.  Any suggestions on this cruise are welcome and certainly appreciated.  

Use the HAL website to reserve your HIA dining and shore excursions now!  Be sure to select complimentary box.  

You can use your beverage package for non alcoholic frozen drinks and fancy coffee drinks.

I love St. John but when the ship docks in St Thomas, I prefer a snorkeling trip to Buck Island, St Croix to avoid the crowds.

My wife and I sailed on the Nieuw Statendam for 20 days in the Mediterranean during 2019 and my wife and DSIL were aboard for nine days this past April to the Caribbean calling on St. Kitts, Dominique, and St. Thomas. They were to call on St. Martin but it was cancelled. It is one of our favorite HAL ships (Pinnacle-class) because of the choices of specialty dining. Caneletto,, Grand Dutch Cafe, and Tamarind are our favorite restaurants while onboard. Also my wife is partial to the Gelato that is served as well.

Welcome to HAL. We started cruising with them when we in our thirties and are now well into our third decade. I believe you find HAL to be lower key than most of the other lines. 

With your HIA package you should familiarize your self with the different specialty restaurants and use your freebie at this time to schedule it on a day that suits your needs. Many people try the Pinnacle Grill since it is the most expensive. As to trying the others, you may want to wait until you board to make a reservation because you will be required to pay in advance if schedule before boarding. There is usually a special desk set up outside the Pinnacle Grill on embarkation day to schedule dinner reservation at all the specialty restaurants. I'm not sure if it is being offered at this time but for a time there was a discount of 25% offered for the Pinnacle Grill on the first night. You should also be aware that the Gala nights or whatever they are now being called will likely be on the second and next to last evening of the cruise.

As previously indicate, WiFi is hit or miss but if you are only checking in, the service should be more than adequate.

As to excursions, just do your homework on the trips offered and make your reservation early since availability will likely be limited due to most people having credit to use for the excursions.

Good luck and happy sailing.

Although there is a kiosk on Deck 2 to make Specialty Restaurant reservations on Embarkation Day, the lines can be long.  There will also be a temporary podium near the Spa hydrotherapy pool entrance on Deck 9 (by the indoor pool), colocated with a Beverage Package display, where you can make all of your dining reservations.

St Johns is my favorite excursion at the St Thomas port.  Note that the island was devastated by a hurricane a few years ago and may not yet be back to its previous beauty.