Alcoholic Drink Questions -

Robjame

First time using beverage package as OLife……

1) can you order alcoholic drinks by room service?  Chargeable to Prestige Beverage Package?

2) can you get a mimosa, Bloody Mary, drink with breakfast? Only MDR or Terrace as well?

3) are there any cocktails NOT included in Prestige? Daily special cocktails?

4) Oceania NEXT talks about wine tasting events at La Reserve and Baristas on certain days. Cost? I presume these are different from the formal region wine tasting presentations that Oceania used to have?

All these questions makes it sound like I am an alcoholic but I am sure I could stop drinking if I wanted to……🤪

• Like 1

The O Life beverage package is House Select where beer and wine by the glass in included at lunch and dinner only.  You would have to upgrade to the Prestige package to get anything else. 

With House Select, you can order beer or wine by the glass if you have dinner in your cabin. Probably lunch too but I know dinner for sure because I did it.  

There are a few top shelf liquors not included in the Prestige package. Someone else here can elaborate on that. 

52 minutes ago, sunlover12 said:

The O Life beverage package is House Select where beer and wine by the glass in included at lunch and dinner only.  You would have to upgrade to the Prestige package to get anything else. 

With House Select, you can order beer or wine by the glass if you have dinner in your cabin. Probably lunch too but I know dinner for sure because I did it.  

There are a few top shelf liquors not included in the Prestige package. Someone else here can elaborate on that. 

Top shelf cognacs and single malts scotches are not included.

Also: https://fr.oceaniacruises.com/value/beverage-wine-packages/

• Thanks 1

As a general rule of thumb. To order a mixed drink with distilled spirits, a bar on ship must be open to make that drink. Therefore, room service can/will bring you any drink you want up to the closing of all the ship’s bars. Beer and wine are different and are available 24/7 from room service.

Now, keeping that concept in mind, a mimosa is a blend of sparkling wine and orange juice. The various restaurants have beer and wine in them. For breakfast, one can typically get a mimosa. However, if none of the bars are open yet, you can’t typically get the Bloody Mary in the morning. Exceptions may exist, but they are rare.

Following this, when you order a mixed drink in a restaurant. A member of the wait staff has to go to one of the ship bars to get it. The beer and wine are kept in the restaurants, but they don’t run bars inside the restaurants. Therefore, if it’s busy in the restaurant, it may take awhile to get that drink if you only drink Manhattans.

Having a butler is a different manner. They keep a butler’s pantry so to quickly make simple drinks and those may be available from your butler 24/7. However, without prior arrangements with your butler don’t expect that fufu drink at 2:00 in the morning, because he won’t have the ingredients to make it and the bars are closed.

The first bar to open on the ship is Waves Bar, typically around 10:00. However, if inclement weather, it may not open. One has to wait for another bar to open which may not be until lunch time.

Because of staffing cuts in the pass, ordering any mixed drinks in the Terrace is problematic. Just getting a glass of wine may be a long wait. The nearest bar for that mixed drink may be 5 decks below . 

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 5

We enjoyed mimosa's for breakfast in both the Grand Dining Room and Terrace cafe.  One of the joys of being on a cruise.  We never had to wait long...

Also, as others have said, there are probably some top-shelf brands that are not covered.  However everything we ordered (wines, martinis, or mixed drinks) were covered under the premium beverage package.  

As to special wine events, in addition to the scheduled pairings in La Reserve, our cruise featured an additional event that we only found out about on board.  It was a Moet and Chandon champagne tasting.  There were 3 different champagnes paired with small bites.  It wasn't enough to be a meal, but it was fun!  They did use the La Reserve room. 

We do recommend the wine dinners and pairings, as it was an excellent experience!  Very elegant and leisurely pace.  Seven courses with 7 wines.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DENIE said:

As to special wine events, in addition to the scheduled pairings in La Reserve, our cruise featured an additional event that we only found out about on board.  It was a Moet and Chandon champagne tasting.  There were 3 different champagnes paired with small bites.  It wasn't enough to be a meal, but it was fun!  They did use the La Reserve room. 

They have had those on the smaller ships as well  

I found  what ones I did not like LOL

They also  have Scotch tasting Cognac tasting & wine tasting events   for a fee

Usually noted in the Currents or on the Bar counters  ..sign up early if you are interested

• Like 2

Additionally, be aware that Oceania offers various special beers and wines of the day , especially in the Terrace, that are not on the bar menu and are not included in any drinks package.

The individual restaurants also have drinks on their restaurant menu that are not included. Easy examples are the sakes and Japanese beer in Red Ginger.

If you see a beer, wine, or mixed drink on a restaurant menu that isn’t on the general bar menu, it probably not included in a package. Also be careful of some of the daily fufu drinks at Waves.

Ask first!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DENIE said:

We do recommend the wine dinners and pairings, as it was an excellent experience!  Very elegant and leisurely pace.  Seven courses with 7 wines.

Denie - I am assuming these wines were outside your Beverage Package offerings. Do you recall the price for these wine pairings (one of our favourite things).

Did you purchase the 7 bottle collection of packaged wines or stick to what was offered by the glass?

I see there is a Cellar Master’s selection as well as the 7 bottle package. I don’t recall the 2 different packages.

8 minutes ago, Robjame said:

Denie - I am assuming these wines were outside your Beverage Package offerings. Do you recall the price for these wine pairings (one of our favourite things).

I suspect Denie is referring to the La Reserve dinners

3 menu options

bhttps://www.oceaniacruises.com/culinaryook early limited seating

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

suspect Denie is referring to the La Reserve dinners

3 menu options

The new Oceania NEXT program already on Marina and Riviera offers wine paring meals in the MDR as well as in Privee. I was hoping he (or someone) had experience with the MDR pairings

We are wine drinkers and rarely  drink hard liquor. We bring our wine suitcase with wines we prefer and pay the corkage fee if we take it to a restaurant. We also bring on wines from ports if we find something good. 

The wine dinners in Privee are one of our favorite things.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Robjame said:

The new Oceania NEXT program already on Marina and Riviera offers wine paring meals in the MDR as well as in Privee. I was hoping he (or someone) had experience with the MDR pairings

Ok  since  they mentioned 7 courses   I would have though it was La Reserve  & not the  4 courses advertised  in the GDR

Riv21ip-9727.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tipsygirl said:

The wine dinners in Privee are one of our favorite things.

Do they charge you the fee for multiple bottle in Privee?

Or give you a special deal on the corkage   fee?

Might be fun to have a group of friends  rent the space & each bring  a different bottle of wine

I'm glad Robjame asked these questions. This is good education for our first O cruise on Insignia that boards this Saturday.

I would have assumed that we couldn't have wine delivered with our room service lunch. On our Azamara cruises I have had to run to a bar with our 2 cards to bring glasses of wine back to the room. Is alcohol included as options when ordering room service using the interactive TV?

We will also have the prestige package.

Edited by bbqoug

41 minutes ago, bbqoug said:

I'm glad Robjame asked these questions. This is good education for our first O cruise on Insignia that boards this Saturday.

I would have assumed that we couldn't have wine delivered with our room service lunch. On our Azamara cruises I have had to run to a bar with our 2 cards to bring glasses of wine back to the room. Is alcohol included as options when ordering room service using the interactive TV?

We will also have the prestige package.

Azamara appears (at least, they used to prior to Sycamore Partners’ bargain basement takeover) to be similar to O. But, as you have just pointed out, Azamara has fallen short in many ways (e.g., food) while O has adopted the best of Azamara’s practices (I.e., more overnights in ports including organized evening events).

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

Do they charge you the fee for multiple bottle in Privee?

Or give you a special deal on the corkage   fee?

Makes sense what you say about La Reserve vs MDR - you are right.

‘We brought a couple of special bottles that we had brought on board. No special deal on the corkage fee. Your idea of each bringing a bottle sounds like fun. 

7 minutes ago, Robjame said:

Makes sense what you say about La Reserve vs MDR - you are right.

‘We brought a couple of special bottles that we had brought on board. No special deal on the corkage fee. Your idea of each bringing a bottle sounds like fun. 

It’s what we do for every Privee dinner. They are wine dinners with everyone bringing and sharing a bottle. 

• Like 1

Maybe things have changed since I was last on Oceania. With the Premium package I had no trouble ordering Mcallans, Hennessey, or Hendricks' martinis. I'm trying now to decide if I want to get this package again next year so if you have current info that'd be appreciated.

8 minutes ago, AceVancouver said:

Maybe things have changed since I was last on Oceania. With the Premium package I had no trouble ordering Mcallans, Hennessey, or Hendricks' martinis. I'm trying now to decide if I want to get this package again next year so if you have current info that'd be appreciated.

Probably the same  items  it is in Red Ginger & Polo where you may have ones that are not covered in the plan

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AceVancouver said:

Though all of the items you mention are certainly better than the “well swill” you’d get if you don’t specify your booze preference not one of those are “top shelf” Scotch, Cognac or Gin (unless it’s some limited edition or the best product they make).

For example, there’s a vast difference in Cognacs - Hennessy VS at <$40 retail in the US and Hennessy Beauté du Siecle at $245,000 (if you could even find one of the 100 bottles made). Premium booze like Hendricks & Bombay Sapphire gins, Lagavulin single malt scotches or even El Tesoro Anejo Tequila are all included in the Prestige Package. 

It’s always a head-shaker when someone with the prestige package orders, for example, just a SideCar, which gets them some cheap brandy, triple sec and citrus mixer. They could’ve specified the contents for a true Side Car (Hennessy VSOP cognac, Cointreau and squeezed lemon juice- BTW, “make it a double”) at zero additional charge.

28 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Probably the same  items  it is in Red Ginger & Polo where you may have ones that are not covered in the plan

Cocktails ordered while in specialty restaurants are not included in the Prestige Package.

However, like the corkage fee, there may be occasions when you’re “unofficially” not charged.

36 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Cocktails ordered while in specialty restaurants are not included in the Prestige Package.

However, like the corkage fee, there may be occasions when you’re “unofficially” not charged.

Our last O cruise was in April 2022 on Riviera.   DH and I had the Prestige Package .  We both ordered cocktails in all 4 specialty restaurants.   Typically order is a lemon drop and a double bourbon over ice.  No charge for us.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, CruisingIGo said:

Our last O cruise was in April 2022 on Riviera.   DH and I had the Prestige Package .  We both ordered cocktails in all 4 specialty restaurants.   Typically order is a lemon drop and a double bourbon over ice.  No charge for us.

The O website says no. But, as you found out, all sorts of restart rules have been modified.