Formal nights on Carnival - how formal?

Caracarn2

11 hours ago, tweakes said:

I absolutely hate when people dressing comfortably makes me have such a terrible time on my vacation! My lobster tail just doesn't taste as good when I see someone across the MDR in shorts. Such a shame. 

You should have been on the Mardi Gras last month... some woman lost it in Rudi's because someone dared to sit at a table with their baseball cap on.  Oh, the horrors.  We felt sorry for the staff because the woman was almost full blown Karen.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Just came off of the Radiance a few hours ago. It was a free for all on clothing.  I really didn't see anyone dressed up at all.  Quite a few looked like they came from the pool or rolled out of bed and into the dining room. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, ldubs said:

I would kind of like to see the knee high socks becoming popular!   

Knee high socks should get folks disembarked for atrocious fashion sense 😁. Socks are liners for shoes, not pieces of clothing, they really shouldn't be seen.  

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

My past experiences with cruising have never really included a true 'formal night'. I've seen pictures of some of these nights and it looks like something from an Oscar night with tuxes and designer gowns.

I KNOW beach attire such as shorts and tank tops would NOT cut it in the dining room. I have some nice clothes for dining but wondered just how fancy one's attire must be.

Just how formal is a formal night?

On a 5 day cruise are the At Sea nights the formal nights?

How have others dressed on these nights?

CruiseDress.jpg

CruiseNonDress.jpg

• Haha 2

My first few cruises on RCL I do recall a more formal atmosphere.  I used to wear gowns and heels and the guys wore tuxes.

Fast forward 30 years:  You will still see a few in the "Oscar attire" but it's more a mix of everything from cocktail dresses, sun dresses, khakis and polos.  You name it.

These days I travel solo with just a carry on so there's no gowns and heels but I still wear dressy pants and tops and always feel nicely dressed.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, iria64 said:

You should have been on the Mardi Gras last month... some woman lost it in Rudi's because someone dared to sit at a table with their baseball cap on.  Oh, the horrors.  We felt sorry for the staff because the woman was almost full blown Karen.

Eating in a dining room with a baseball cap.? I take it he was 9 years old

Edited by Wakepatrol
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Knee high socks should get folks disembarked for atrocious fashion sense 😁. Socks are liners for shoes, not pieces of clothing, they really shouldn't be seen.  

Darn. I thought it might become the next popular preppy cruise wear.  😀    Exceptions should be made for people from Bermuda, Baseball players, old timey golfers, and Scotsmen in Kilts.   😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/9/2022 at 11:37 AM, mz-s said:

Wow I haven't seen cut off jeans in probably 30 years.

We were just in Vegas, and while I didn't see anyone wearing them, I noticed them on display in a few clothing stores... maybe they're making a comeback??? 😉

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, iria64 said:

Nope, mid teens.

I have seen adults eating in the MDR with baseball caps. It should not be acceptable on any night. However, this is what you get on Carnival. It will not improve. You have to be taught and practice proper etiquette at home.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ctlyf said:

We were just in Vegas, and while I didn't see anyone wearing them, I noticed them on display in a few clothing stores... maybe they're making a comeback??? 😉

I think they are making a come back. But, in our day we didn't buy them like that from a store! We just took our old jeans and got out a pair of scissors!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, ledges1 said:

I have seen adults eating in the MDR with baseball caps. It should not be acceptable on any night. However, this is what you get on Carnival. It will not improve. You have to be taught and practice proper etiquette at home.

I don't know about other places, but around here wearing caps seems to have become pretty normal.   Like it or not, I think it is time we recognize the custom is changing.  At least no harm is done.   Though I have to admit I still  am bothered when male tourists don't remove their hats in a church.   

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BasicSailor said:

Formal nights on Carnival - how formal?

Carnival will soon rename Formal nights to.

Shorts and T's night, come one, come all.🤣

😐 😶😔 I am not equipped for ball gowns and jewels but I believe in begin properly dressed for a nice dinner. It would seem that cruise lines are more anxious to fill cabins thereby dismissing their traditions. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Theosprey247 said:

It’s your cruise dress up as much (or as little) as you want. 

I would hope that consideration would be given to the other people also on the cruise. 🤩

We are all 'in the same boat' 😉

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, BarbieGee said:

😐 😶😔 I am not equipped for ball gowns and jewels but I believe in begin properly dressed for a nice dinner. It would seem that cruise lines are more anxious to fill cabins thereby dismissing their traditions. 

These traditions were gone since 2018, if not 2010 when I took my first CCL cruise. 

My suggestion is to lower you expectations. Like a lot. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BarbieGee said:

I really like her^^

I just saw your signature and noticed that you sailed on NCL and RCL. If it was a spectrum in terms of what you actually see on average, I would place CCL closer to NCL. 

Spectrum:

Unformal                                                                                                                              Formal

<NCL---CCL--------RCL-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Cunnard>

Edited by DrSea

3 hours ago, DrSea said:

I really like her^^

I just saw your signature and noticed that you sailed on NCL and RCL. If it was a spectrum in terms of what you actually see on average, I would place CCL closer to NCL. 

Spectrum:

Unformal                                                                                                                              Formal

<NCL---CCL--------RCL-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Cunnard>

It's been a very long time since I sailed on RCL so I don't know if the quality is still there. Not having yet sailed on CCL and can't make the comparison to NCL. But having stayed in a JS on NCL their suites look a bit roomier then what I've seen on CC in pictures and videos.
CIMG0126.thumb.JPG.15ee5e994ba6ab334676bd15b3a1b81d.JPG

CIMG0118.JPG

CIMG0117.JPG

• Like 1