Juneau and Skagway car rental for July 2023

redroses

I'm interested in renting a car July 2023, taking Princess cruise.

1. Should I book now?

2.   Juneau - is it only Juneau Car rental that is the dock? https://www.juneaurentalcars.com/cruise-ship-reservations

3. For Skagway, I see avis but have not been able to book online or call them.  Is Affordable Car rental the only other option for dock pickup?

Any hints are appreciated.

We sail  week from today and have Juneau Car Rental booked in Juneau and Avis booked in Skagway. Will come back to this thread when I get back and let you know how it worked out. I did not book wither one very early as I only booked my cruise a few months ago. Avis I just booked on the website and Juneau I called and talked to someone.

• Like 2

Hi, I have a car booked through Juneau Car Rental for next week. I rented via the telephone two weeks ago. In chatting with Dwight, the owner, he indicated he is in the process of retiring and is unable to sell the business. He is beginning to sell off the cars but will continue through this season and then retire and close the shop. I never looked at alternatives, so sorry, I don't have another suggestion for Juneau rentals for next year.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2022 at 10:37 AM, bertha said:

Hi, I have a car booked through Juneau Car Rental for next week. I rented via the telephone two weeks ago. In chatting with Dwight, the owner, he indicated he is in the process of retiring and is unable to sell the business. He is beginning to sell off the cars but will continue through this season and then retire and close the shop. I never looked at alternatives, so sorry, I don't have another suggestion for Juneau rentals for next year.

Thanks, is there any other car rental biz left in Juneau at the dock then? 

On 9/17/2022 at 3:49 AM, GaryWT said:

Skagway port has been closed and could possible be closed next year as well.  The government is still trying to figure out how to fix the rock slide and until fixed no ships are allowed in. 

The season is over now I believe, but it was not closed previously. We were just there.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

We rented from Hertz at the airport last week.  Was able to book when we docked, take a cab to the airport ($35 one way) and be on our way.  We had reserved a car using the Turo app and paid extra to have it delivered to the port.  Joemilo cancelled on us the night before we docked in Juneau, so found out about it when we were leaving the ship once I had Internet service.

JB

• Like 1

For Juneau, the major car rentals are at the airport.  I recommend taxi or uber from the port to the airport.  It's not that far.  

For Skagway, do yourself a favor and stick with Avis.  The only exception I would recommend in Skagway is Klondike.  They rent new electric Mustangs.  Otherwise, you are likely to get stuck with a piece of garbage.  I used Drive About once, and a friend used Affordable.  Both delivered to the dock, which was nice, but the cars were junk.  Never again.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1