Bring Sportbrella to Ocean Cay

Greenhopster

There would probably be no problem with your sportbrella.

Make sure you have water shoes for both walking on the beach and in the water.  The island is a reclaimed industrial site (used to mine the sand to refurbish beaches elsewhere) and the sand stripped from elsewhere to make the cay is full of bits of sharp coral.

On 9/14/2022 at 10:19 AM, Homosassa said:

There would probably be no problem with your sportbrella.

Make sure you have water shoes for both walking on the beach and in the water.  The island is a reclaimed industrial site (used to mine the sand to refurbish beaches elsewhere) and the sand stripped from elsewhere to make the cay is full of bits of sharp coral.

Thanks for this little tidbit of info!  I wondered why it was a little rough on the feet. Had to walk gingerly when there but will be better equipped with water shoes next time. 

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

In my humble opinion, its a waste of time, a waste of resources and a waste of transportation effort. The MSC Island has several umbrella options without the necessity of purchasing, transporting, loading, unloading, setting-up, taking down, transporting back to the ship and eventually transporting it back home. Makes no sense. 

Edited by juancarlosgarciasanchez
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Thanks for this little tidbit of info!  I wondered why it was a little rough on the feet. Had to walk gingerly when there but will be better equipped with water shoes next time. 

Yes, it is a classis case of robbing Peter to pay Paul cycle.

1 hour ago, juancarlosgarciasanchez said:

In my humble opinion, its a waste of time, a waste of resources and a waste of transportation effort. The MSC Island has several umbrella options without the necessity of purchasing, transporting, loading, unloading, setting-up, taking down, transporting back to the ship and eventually transporting it back home. Makes no sense. 

Maybe not to you, but it does to those of us who want to be sure of shade.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, juancarlosgarciasanchez said:

DH has the same opinion but I have an aversion to being in the sun for too long.  Much prefer the shade.  As we were in YC on the island, umbrellas were available.  I saw other areas where it appeared that umbrellas were available for rent.  I could be wrong.  As much of a PITA carting a sportbrella might be, it might be worth the trouble for those who require constant shade.

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

DH has the same opinion but I have an aversion to being in the sun for too long.  Much prefer the shade.  As we were in YC on the island, umbrellas were available.  I saw other areas where it appeared that umbrellas were available for rent.  I could be wrong.  As much of a PITA carting a sportbrella might be, it might be worth the trouble for those who require constant shade.

Right, you can rent them.  Also, the beach right by ship, at least late in the afternoon, had no problem with sitting under umbrella for free after we left YC beach and stopped at lighthouse bar.