Book now or later?

KKB

OK we are currently looking at either Vegas or the Breakaway the week of March 5.

I thought I could book the cruise & cancel when we decide, but NCL's cancellation dates are much further out than other lines.

We typically book months to a year+ in advance.

I know the thought process of--if it is the price you want for the product you want, BOOK IT.

But we truly are up in the air at this point & am curious if price would more likely go up or down in the coming months. 

First week of March is typically not spring break season--as reflected in the current pricing.

I know that no one can predict the future,  but what are your thoughts of waiting?

I've been in the same predicament - I have some credits (well, down to one now since one expired last night) that NCL added to my account for some reason, I was looking to possibly use them, but I feel I can save more and book a better room by waiting to book until about a month before the cruise.

Book now...if the price goes up you win...if the price goes down call them for a refund any time up to final payment. We just saved $1k by checking the price just before final payment date. Final payment is 120 days out so you can still cancel up to then for a refund.

2 hours ago, KKB said:

OK we are currently looking at either Vegas or the Breakaway the week of March 5.

I thought I could book the cruise & cancel when we decide, but NCL's cancellation dates are much further out than other lines.

We typically book months to a year+ in advance.

We've had a 5 March cruise booked on Breakaway for months.  No regrets.

BTW, FWIW, hotel rooms are insane for rooms on 4 March.  You might consider booking a room now while there are still some available.  You can always cancel that right up to a couple of days prior.

For example, the Hilton Riverside has rooms available every night in March except the 4th.  Other hotels are well over $400.  Best I could find was the Embassy Suites.

2 minutes ago, ggTexasGal said:

Yes!

Be careful week of the 4th has a lot of college spring breaks , we sailed same week last year out of New Orleans and was packed with college kids, me personally wife and I, me 42 wife 40 love to party and was a blast, plus showed some of them how to drink lol 

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, CaptainBazz said:

Book now...if the price goes up you win...if the price goes down call them for a refund any time up to final payment. We just saved $1k by checking the price just before final payment date. Final payment is 120 days out so you can still cancel up to then for a refund.

Novice cruiser speaking.  Do you have to call the NCL line (booked through them) each time you want to checl current price?  I have air and transfers included as well as the free at sea package. 

13 hours ago, Alwaysplanningatrip said:

Novice cruiser speaking.  Do you have to call the NCL line (booked through them) each time you want to checl current price?  I have air and transfers included as well as the free at sea package. 

I called NCL direct on one cruise and had used a TA on another. In the first instance the perks were slightly different but worth the change because of the reduction in price. Through the TA all perks were the same so they just refunded the difference.

You can check the price on line and if it has the same perks then call for a refund. If it doesn't, ie no reduced airfare, you will need to decide if the difference is worth it. It is essentially a cancel / rebook at the current offer, you just get to keep the same room. We always just take the main perks, free at sea drinks and dining so never really have an issue with the change in perks as they always include those two.

• Like 1

The drill's the same.  See it, like it, fare is good...book it.

But, sounds like the real question is, do you want Vegas or a cruise?

Looks like the Breakaway is going out of New Orleans next March to the Western Caribbean?  I like New Orleans, and haven't been there in a while.  So, that's a positive.  Been to the Western Caribbean route several times.  I can go either way on that itinerary.  I like the "Away (+)" class ships.  So, that's a positive, too.

Vegas....I was there right before the COVID break.  Have been there many times for work...for probably 20 years, I was there for conferences at least once or twice per year.  So, know it well.

From a pricing perspective, I'm betting Vegas is going to be more.  I don't mind staying downtown, where hotel rates are less. But, there's always a little "sleaze" factor around Fremont St.  I have no issue with that.  Some do, however.

The strip hotels......different story.  They're going to cost a lot more than staying downtown.

Still comes down to it depends on what you want and where you want to spend a week.

To me, 3 days/nights in Vegas is about all I can handle.  I'll easily do a 7 night cruise and be sad when it's over.