Proof of vaccination: Need help from BC residents!

traveling teacher2010

22 minutes ago, traveling teacher2010 said:

Re: required proof of vaccination and negative covid test result. Confused as to where to upload info to and also how to upload. Can anybody set me straight? Embarking from Vancouver through Panama Canal to Fort Lauderdale. Thanks all!

Are you familiar with, and using the ArriveCan system? You are required to use it for your vax info. Your negative test will be presented in person,  not in ArriveCan.  

• Like 1

We embarked in Vancouver in August (things change, but I'm pretty sure this will still hold). What we did:

• COVID test ~48 hours before leaving
  • Set up VeriFly app (which includes your COVID results, passport, etc.)
  • Set up AriveCAN

VeriFly isn't required, but there was a much shorter line in the cruise terminal for those that had filled it out. We didn't have to show any documentation, other than our passports and VeriFly/AriveCAN receipts on our phones.

We had screenshots of all of the QR codes (in case the apps didn't work), as well as screenshots of our boarding passes. The HA system was down just prior to us arriving, but by the time we got there our apps were working again. Screenshots are helpful when one of the apps go down, but printouts can work too. For those that had neither, HA was happy to help (but those lines were longer).

And while the terminal was a bit chaotic, once we relaxed and scanned the room carefully (and asked for directions) we found the shorter lines and made our way through quickly. It took < 30 minutes to board, and the room was full enough I was expecting 1hr+. I find these things stressful, but overall this was much better than some of my worst airport stories.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, traveling teacher2010 said:

Re: required proof of vaccination and negative covid test result. Confused as to where to upload info to and also how to upload. Can anybody set me straight? Embarking from Vancouver through Panama Canal to Fort Lauderdale. Thanks all!

This assumes you are embarking in Vancouver and NOT going to a US port then back to a Canadian one (i.e. not Vancouver - Seattle - Victoria ...). Things vary if that is the case.

Testing is not required to enter Canada but IS required if you are boarding a cruise ship in Canada (as you clearly understand). The test is to be done 72 hours in advance if it's a molecular test, 2 days prior if it's an antigen test. I expect your test will be checked at the terminal, not at Canadian customs.

Test results are not uploaded to ArriveCan - only passport info, proof of vax and embarkation address. You can set up multiple travelers in ArriveCan ahead of time - then all you have to do is enter the arrival/departure specifics. ArriveCan can be used from a mobile device or a laptop/desktop. The app will walk you through the process, but set your travelers up first, as they need to be included when you register your arrival info.

Your test results and other duplicate info can optionally be uploaded to Verifly - others, as well as @robotpony, have indicated that Verifly helps with the embarkation lines at the cruise terminal, but it's not a Canadian requirement. I have not used Verifly yet, so defer to those others. As mentioned, have hardcopies of everything, just in case your phone goes out.

When looking at the web site below, be sure to select the 'type' of cruise that matches yours - which I suspect is a cruise that is "Staying in Canadian waters or not returning to Canada". Those requirements are very different than the ones for Alaska round trips. Enjoy!

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise    🍺🥌

Some information is not 100% accurate. if you are boarding a cruise ship, in any country, that is going to Canada, then you need a covid test. We got electronic copies of our negative result which we then up loaded into ArrivCan. We also did the verifly app thing. When we got to Vancouver, our embarkation port, we simply walked through the terminal passed all the queues scanned our verifly code, then straight to US customs. No issues, so easy.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Max011 said:

Some information is not 100% accurate. if you are boarding a cruise ship, in any country, that is going to Canada, then you need a covid test. We got electronic copies of our negative result which we then up loaded into ArrivCan. We also did the verifly app thing. When we got to Vancouver, our embarkation port, we simply walked through the terminal passed all the queues scanned our verifly code, then straight to US customs. No issues, so easy.

Hmmm....very questionable info here...starting with the comment about going straight to " US Customs ". You went to Immigration. 

We also boarded a Canada bound ship. Never uploaded our negative Covid test to ArriveCan. We showed our test results at the gangway, and boarded. We did load our vax records to ArriveCan and got our approval. 

4 hours ago, oakridger said:

Are you sure you put Covid TEST results in ArriveCAN?  My ArriveCAN only asks for vaccination records.

~Nancy

Yes, we have uploaded them into ArriveCAN but it had to be done within the specified time framework. Prior to that time period, the APP won't ask you for them.

• Like 2

Did an Alaskan cruise 2 weeks ago from Vancouver. With ArriveCan you will need to upload proof of vaccination and information about where the cruise is leaving from. This is done 72 hours before the cruise leaves. 

With VeriFly, you need to post proof of covid vaccination, negative covid test and a health questionnaire. The covid vaccination you can upload any time but the covid test and health questionnaire can be done 72 hours before the cruise. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In the link @CurlerRob gave above note that  in a drop down it states:-

"Cruises that are staying in Canadian waters or not returning to Canada

All travellers are required to take a pre-embarkation COVID-19 test before embarking on a cruise in Canada, even if the cruise ship is not leaving Canadian waters

Travellers who are staying within Canada throughout their entire journey or who are leaving Canada and not returning don’t have to complete ArriveCAN."

@traveling teacher2010, you are boarding in Canada then leaving Canada with no return stops therefore you don't need to fill out ArriveCAN for the cruise.

You do need ArriveCAN if you are entering Canada to board your cruise.

Vaccination requirement as above.

Cheers, h.

• Like 1