Cannot use adapter for both CPAP and night table lamp on Island Princess

We_like_to_cruise

I purchased the widely recommended (on this board) dual input adapter for our recent cruise.  It theoretically would allow one, after crawling under the bed and moving it halfway across the room, to simultaneously use both a CPAP machine and the night table lamp.

However, when the adapter was inserted into the wall, the Type E/F plug from the lamp was too wide at its end.  Plugging in the lamp caused the adapter to pop out of the socket.  Could not keep both inserted together.  It seems that others have used it successfully.  Could the adapter now be slightly smaller in length?  Has anyone else noticed this or perhaps found another option?

Here is the recommended adapter, not currently available from this site (sorry CC would not let me use a short url):

https://www.amazon.com/European-Adapter-Schuko-Germany-France/dp/B004SY5O5K/ref=sr_1_1?crid=68N3LJOM6TWW&keywords=European+Power+Adapter+Plug+by+Orei%2C+Perfect+for+Travel+To+Europe%2C+Germany%2C+France%2C+Spain%2C+Norway%2C+Korea+-+Universal+Socket+-+Type+E%2FF+Outlet+-+2+Inputs+-+Safe+Grounded+Connection&qid=1663520225&refinements=p_n_availability%3A2661601011&rnid=2661599011&sprefix=european+power+adapter+plug+by+orei%2C+perfect+for+travel+to+europe%2C+germany%2C+france%2C+spain%2C+norway%2C+korea+-+universal+socket+-+type+e%2Ff+outlet+-+2+inputs+-+safe+grounded+connection%2Caps%2C193&sr=8-1

2in1.jpg

plug.jpg

Edited by We_like_to_cruise
edit

I did not have trouble with the adapter and lamp on the Grand.  Which ship are you on?  Where is the outlet?

Could you take a photo of the plug connected to the adapter? (I am spatially challenged...haha)

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 1

I have used that adapter many times behind the bed with no issues...but have yet to do so on the Island.  We'll be boarding her in about a week...hope it still works for me!

I'm not quite following exactly what was happening in your situation.  Keep in mind that you could use a very short US-style extension cord (they make them as short as 12 inches) in order to give yourself some extra room *if* that's where the problem was.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pmCruiser said:

Were you trying to plug the lamp into the front of the adaptor, or into the top?  If you were trying to plug it into the top I can see where there would be a problem.  I've always plugged the lamp inro the front and the CPAP into the top.

Bingo.  This is the solution.  The "universal" outlet on the "end" of the adapter doesn't look like it would accept a type F plug, but it will.

• Thanks 1

Question:  My grandson and his wife will be sailing with me on the Caribbean Princess in April.  She uses a CPAP.  Are you all saying that I will need to get her one of these adapters to be able to use her CPAP and still have the bedside lamp on?  If so, thanks as I have never had anyone sail with me that has needed a CPAP before.

• Thanks 1

Here is a picture I posted the other day on another thread that shows where to plug in the lamp and where the CPAP goes.  I know this works on most Princess ships.  I was not sure about the Island/Coral, but based on this thread it sounds like it will work.

1910441686_eurousaadapter.jpg.e3c441263060d272e02136516d74a15b.jpg

• Thanks 1

We_like_to-cruise --

I'm sorry that you're having this issue. As I recall, I was part of that earlier conversation and made (or echoed) the recommendation. Ever since I had first gotten that tip from someone else here some years back that adapter has been a real game changer. I've used it probably twenty times or so, including on the Island. You might want to get your steward involved. On my last cruise the steward, walking in to see me putting the adapter in place, seemed disappointed that I hadn't first asked him for his help.

DavidsNana --

She will absolutely not need that adapter. It is, however, a nice alternative to stringing an extension cord across the cabin to the plugs adjacent to the desk. In any event, it's a handy adapter to toss (and keep) in your luggage and not particularly expensive. Again, ask the steward if you're having trouble getting it working.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, DavidsNana said:

Question:  My grandson and his wife will be sailing with me on the Caribbean Princess in April.  She uses a CPAP.  Are you all saying that I will need to get her one of these adapters to be able to use her CPAP and still have the bedside lamp on?  If so, thanks as I have never had anyone sail with me that has needed a CPAP before.

No, the adapter is not a requirement, but it is nice to have. If you get one of the adapters you should be able to use both the lamp and CPAP without needing an extension cord. If you don't have the adapter, then you may need an extension cord for the CPAP in order to reach the US outlet near the desk. The lamp will work fine as is.  (This assumes you have a CPAP with a US plug - your profile does not list your location.) 

Take a look at the link in my last post.

Edited by Jersey42
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, walkingsoon said:

We_like_to-cruise --

I'm sorry that you're having this issue. As I recall, I was part of that earlier conversation and made (or echoed) the recommendation. Ever since I had first gotten that tip from someone else here some years back that adapter has been a real game changer. I've used it probably twenty times or so, including on the Island. You might want to get your steward involved. On my last cruise the steward, walking in to see me putting the adapter in place, seemed disappointed that I hadn't first asked him for his help.

DavidsNana 

Funny you should mention that.  I have difficulties getting off the floor...old age/fixed knees.  I don't want to bother my steward on the first day.  But, I do engage his help at the end of the cruise.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, pmCruiser said:

Were you trying to plug the lamp into the front of the adaptor, or into the top?  If you were trying to plug it into the top I can see where there would be a problem.  I've always plugged the lamp inro the front and the CPAP into the top.

12 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Bingo.  This is the solution.  The "universal" outlet on the "end" of the adapter doesn't look like it would accept a type F plug, but it will.

10 hours ago, Jersey42 said:

Here is a picture I posted the other day on another thread that shows where to plug in the lamp and where the CPAP goes.  I know this works on most Princess ships.  I was not sure about the Island/Coral, but based on this thread it sounds like it will work.

Yes, thank you all.  You are absolutely correct.  I was plugging the lamp into the top input and the lamp plug is so thick it pushed the adapter right away from the wall.  I never thought to plug the CPAP into the top and the night table lamp into the front of the adapter.  That would have worked easily!  Glancing at the adapter I did not realize the lamp or CPAP each could technically be plugged into either location.  Silly me !!

Thank you everyone for clearing that up. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I did not have trouble with the adapter and lamp on the Grand.  Which ship are you on?  Where is the outlet?

Could you take a photo of the plug connected to the adapter? (I am spatially challenged...haha)

Sorry I do not have such a picture.  My posting is after the fact - our cruise was last month on IP.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, DavidsNana said:

The adapter is handy to allow the use of both the CPAP and the night table lamp.  The outlet behind the bed is not designed for US plugs.  Without the adapter one must run an extension cord from one of the few US outlets available. 

When I used the adapter since I was not using it correctly (see above posts) I preferred to have the CPAP plugged in at the expense of no night light.  But, now that I know the correct way to use the adapter, thanks to the many helpful posts, I can use both.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, DavidsNana said:

The Amazon plug is not available now.  Don’t know where you will be able find something similar.  It’s handy to have one adapter with two outlets. The CPAP machine is (most likely) dual voltage. All you would need is an adapter.  

Also, all Apple devices are also dual voltage as are most Anker products.  

You can order her distilled water from the personalizer website.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

The Amazon plug is not available now.  Don’t know where you will be able find something similar.

Maybe it has to do with your location, but I see several available choices right now on Amazon.  Here is a snippet from another thread I linked to on post 7.

Here is one option from Amazon.  If it is out of stock, just do a search.  Make sure you get one that allows you to plug in two items.

https://www.amazon.com/OREI-Europe-Adapter-Plug-Schuko/dp/B008Y8TF88/ 

I just did a quick search and here are some more:

https://www.amazon.com/Germany-France-Adapter-Grounded-European/dp/B0969GD4YS/

https://www.amazon.com/European-UROPHYLLA-Universal-Netherlands-South-Korea/dp/B07X1W5FS4/

https://www.amazon.com/Schuko-Universal-Europe-Adapter-Plug/dp/B009GPY97A/

https://www.amazon.com/CKITZE-BA-9-3P-Grounded-Universal-Adapter/dp/B00A17I1VW

https://www.amazon.com/Europe-Travel-Adapter-European-Outlets/dp/B01MRBM9A9/

Edited by Jersey42
  • Thanks 1