Only 6 Hours in Nassau, Tell Me What I Should Do

woostergirl

I will be going to Nassau in December this year and it will be my family's first time. Our ship is only docked in Nassau for 6 hours from 12p-6p. We are a relatively active  family of four with my DH and two kids ages 11 and 7.

Should we go to the pirate museum? Then what?

Should we splurge for Margaritaville? Our kids love lazy rivers but I'm worried about spending so much money for 4 hours (if that) by the pool...

Or just walk around and eat local foods?

We love animals but aren't really snorkellers.

Thanks for your suggestions!

We did a walking tour on our own... we googled it and there are several routes posted online.  We walked from port up the hill to the Queen"s staircase and waterfall, then the fort, then back down to the bus pickup spot and took that #5 bus(?) to the big food restaurant spot, ate lunch, then walked from there back to port shopping along the way.  Made for about a 4 hour trip.  You can make the loop as big or small as you want.  

• Like 1

I know it's your first time, but Nassau really isn't a great touring port, in my opinion.  I'd get out, walk around briefly at the straw market and Bay Street, and then I'd go back aboard and enjoy the relatively empty ship while everyone else is over spending fortunes at Atlantis or wherever else.

• Like 1

From the ship, walk Bay Street for window shopping to the Straw Market.

Then bus, cab or walk to Fish Fry for a local meal (try cracked conch).

From FF, walk uphill to Ardastra gardens and zoo ( home of the parading flamingos), them - if time permits - take short walk to John Watling’s distillery. 
Take cab back to ship.

• Like 3

On 9/21/2022 at 2:57 PM, Rothko1 said:

I know it's your first time, but Nassau really isn't a great touring port, in my opinion.  I'd get out, walk around briefly at the straw market and Bay Street, and then I'd go back aboard and enjoy the relatively empty ship while everyone else is over spending fortunes at Atlantis or wherever else.

Hogwash 🙂

Book a tour with https://www.cherylbahamastaxiandtours.com/ and go see all kinds of cool stuff

• Like 3

On 9/21/2022 at 3:57 PM, Rothko1 said:

If you'd feel fine walking around any other medium-large city in the US. you'll enjoy it.

Everyone speaks English, which is frequently the biggest obstacle in many foreign coiuntries.

Just use common sense , do a little research, and stay on your chosen path.

6 hours is a pretty short day in port ( as it usually takes 20-30 minutes to get off if everything goes smooth and they usually want you back on board 30 minutes early)

Nassau is a pretty small town. Most suburbs shopping area dwarfs Nassau.

I've done walking tours multiple times and had a blast.

Done the pirate museum once. If you have a kid who is a pirate nut they will probably like it. I found it to be just MEH...

Ardastra Gardens and Zoo was a fantastic day which could easily be done in a 6 hour port stop.

They have a trained marching Flamingo show, a cage where you could walk in and hand feed some Lorry (small) Parrots.

It is different from a big, US zoo, as many animals are in pens mere feet from the fence. Not 20 feet away behind a huge moat or something. (like they had a small pen of Meerkats behind a farm like fence rail.) Full Size Parrots flying free and just sitting around snack bars etc. The Flamingoes just wander the park on their own between the shows.

Not a ton of animals but what you get to see is up close and personal.

If you have michevious or uncontrollable kids, might not be the place for them as they might get into trouble.

If your kids are well behaved and would appreciate up close contact with animals, then they might really enjoy it.

• Like 1

I second John Watling's.  They give a free tour then parents can have a delicious pina colada (best I've ever had) and the kids can have virgin ones.  A food truck is there if needed.  Turn right as you exit John Watling's driveway and walk to the corner.  Turn left and walk maybe a block.  To your right you can look down a charming street with a chocolatier, a winery, a beautiful hotel and a cigar shop.  After that, stroll on down the hill back to port.

Have a great cruise!

PS The Pirate Museum is dark but my DD's (at the time 6 and 😎 scared at first then delighted when they saw a stuffed goat.  Go figure!  We had fun that day as well!

Edited by ninjacat123

• 2 weeks later...