Flights to Hawii

JohnGc

We have got a transpacific cruise booked from Hawii /Brisbane but not until October 2023. Out of interest I looked at flight cost from Brisbane or Gold Coast to Hawii for this Oct. For three adults I could not believe the cost especially if you choose 1 stop.  A bit cheaper if you want to spend 24 hrs on a 2 stop. At this stage it is looking like approx  $6000 !!!   I will be desperately hoping the fares will be a lot lower by October 2023 otherwise I may have to change my plans.  I was willing to accept that my cruise insurance is going to be very expensive owing to my age but the cost of air fares caught me by surprise.

Edited by JohnGc

The price of airfares to anywhere has gone through the roof. Domestically for me to fly to Brisbane is nearly triple what it was before lockdown.

Hawaiian airlines flights are not up yet for next October, but it appears they have currently dropped their Bris - Honolulu direct flights, instead operating two flights out of Sydney. That would be an added pain, and their prices are up and down from day to day for this October as well.

8 hours ago, JohnGc said:

We have got a transpacific cruise booked from Hawii /Brisbane but not until October 2023. Out of interest I looked at flight cost from Brisbane or Gold Coast to Hawii for this Oct. For three adults I could not believe the cost especially if you choose 1 stop.  A bit cheaper if you want to spend 24 hrs on a 2 stop. At this stage it is looking like approx  $6000 !!!   I will be desperately hoping the fares will be a lot lower by October 2023 otherwise I may have to change my plans.  I was willing to accept that my cruise insurance is going to be very expensive owing to my age but the cost of air fares caught me by surprise.

With flights so expensive, you might like to consider making your flights part of your holiday, which we have done in the past.  Eg fly Fijian Airways to Hawaii with a stopover in Fiji.  

Everyone is being effected by the higher airfares.  I recently spoke to a friend who used to fly from Brisbane to Adelaide monthly.  She no longer does because of the high cost of flights. 

8 hours ago, JohnGc said:

We have got a transpacific cruise booked from Hawii /Brisbane but not until October 2023. Out of interest I looked at flight cost from Brisbane or Gold Coast to Hawii for this Oct.

LOL! We are booked on the Ovation of the Seas this October, when we booked in mid 2021, you could get one way direct flights from Sydney for around $700 and Jetstar were even cheaper on thier basic fare, sure i saw it at just under $400 but you had to go via Melbourne.

Out of intrest i looked a few months ago and the same flight we are on was about $1400 and Jetstar didnt even come up! Mind you i think they may have not resumed flights as one problem with this route is only 2 airlines are doing direct flights, Qantas and Hawiaian, the only alternative is to go via NZ or the US mainland, United had much cheaper flights via San Francisco, maybe look at a stop over for a few days in that City?

Hopefully in 2023 things get back to normal and prices come down, although not sure they will fall back to the levels they were a couple of years ago, inflation has hit everything.

We have used previously Fijian Airways for our transpacific cruises.Not a great airline for a longish flight  in economy and I was grateful it was only one way! Would I use them again…..probably not unless it was their equivalent of business class.

5 hours ago, Hammer61 said:

LOL! We are booked on the Ovation of the Seas this October, when we booked in mid 2021, you could get one way direct flights from Sydney for around $700 and Jetstar were even cheaper on thier basic fare, sure i saw it at just under $400 but you had to go via Melbourne.

Out of intrest i looked a few months ago and the same flight we are on was about $1400 and Jetstar didnt even come up! Mind you i think they may have not resumed flights as one problem with this route is only 2 airlines are doing direct flights, Qantas and Hawiaian, the only alternative is to go via NZ or the US mainland, United had much cheaper flights via San Francisco, maybe look at a stop over for a few days in that City?

Hopefully in 2023 things get back to normal and prices come down, although not sure they will fall back to the levels they were a couple of years ago, inflation has hit everything.

Great thanks for the feedback. Would love to hear a review when you return. Are you staying o/night in Hawii if so did you find a reasonable priced hotel not to far from the cruise terminal?

6 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

With flights so expensive, you might like to consider making your flights part of your holiday, which we have done in the past.  Eg fly Fijian Airways to Hawaii with a stopover in Fiji.  

Everyone is being effected by the higher airfares.  I recently spoke to a friend who used to fly from Brisbane to Adelaide monthly.  She no longer does because of the high cost of flights. 

Would love to do that but unfortunately I think that would be over our budget. Nice idea though.

12 hours ago, arxcards said:

The price of airfares to anywhere has gone through the roof. Domestically for me to fly to Brisbane is nearly triple what it was before lockdown.

Hawaiian airlines flights are not up yet for next October, but it appears they have currently dropped their Bris - Honolulu direct flights, instead operating two flights out of Sydney. That would be an added pain, and their prices are up and down from day to day for this October as well.

Yes I did read that. Apparently it was not profitable for them operating out of Brisbane. 

4 hours ago, resordanis said:

We have used previously Fijian Airways for our transpacific cruises.Not a great airline for a longish flight  in economy and I was grateful it was only one way! Would I use them again…..probably not unless it was their equivalent of business class.

Yes, not looking forward to the long flight and we will have no choice but to travel economy. If we do make it I would be taking advantage of the many sea days to recover 😄 

16 hours ago, JohnGc said:

We have got a transpacific cruise booked from Hawii /Brisbane but not until October 2023

I feel for you.

We are sort of in the same boat as you.

We are sailing Honolulu to Sydney (not Brisbane like you) in October next year.

While the 20 day cruise was from $2450 for 20 days, the air fares are a different matter.

I looked up airfares for next May and found more resonable prices ( at around $900 for Jetstar, still expensive for them) than for October this year so I'm hopeful the prices will get better as things get back to normal in the world.

However the NSW school holidays are from the 25th of September to the 6th of October so I will be booking flights as early as they become available as long as they are not too out of this world. 🙂

Thanks for that. Same as you, we got the cruise on the Quantum for a great price and even managed to book a solo balcony cabin for my adult daughter with our cabin only one cabin between us. was so exited and then I saw the flight cost. Funnily enough after my first post I went onto Quantus and did a false booking for Sept 2023, ( October prices not available yet ) and found flights for just over $900 so it looks a bit more promising. Same as you will be booking flights as soon as available for that price. Be nice to get that sorted and then I will tackle the being 80 yrs old  insurance saga.

3 hours ago, JohnGc said:

Would love to do that but unfortunately I think that would be over our budget. Nice idea though.

Accommodation and food in Fiji was cheap, certainly cheaper than expensive airfares for a family of 4.  We toured Fiji in a truck with the locals.  

Now I only fly business class because of my legs so glad I travelled a lot overseas when I was young!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bizziecruzer said:

We have just flown to Honolulu on AirNZ. Whole experience was excellent. Cruising home.

We used to be AirNZ FF and always found them an excellent long haul airline. One time our flight from Canada was delayed and we had a lengthy stopover at Auckland Airport.  When we heard our names called, my heart missed a beat.  Yes, we had been upgraded to business class, as had all our fellow passengers from Canada.  What a thrill as we had only flown economy long haul at that stage.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bizziecruzer said:

We have just flown to Honolulu on AirNZ. Whole experience was excellent. Cruising home.

Was that in economy class Bizziecruizer ?

I'm interesting in using them for our flights next October.

We used to love flying Air New Zealand in our 20's and 30's when they had direct flights to the USA but haven't flown with them for years now.

5 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

We used to be AirNZ FF and always found them an excellent long haul airline. One time our flight from Canada was delayed and we had a lengthy stopover at Auckland Airport.  When we heard our names called, my heart missed a beat.  Yes, we had been upgraded to business class, as had all our fellow passengers from Canada.  What a thrill as we had only flown economy long haul at that stage.

Thank you, Can't afford business class but had a look at the economy cost, the one with the works for $60 extra. I reckon that is the way we will be going. There is a stop in Auckland for about 5 hrs but I am sure we can find someway to amuse ourselves. The planes look like they may have a bit more leg room than the Jetstar. 😊👍

13 minutes ago, sewgood said:

We used to love flying Air New Zealand in our 20's and 30's when they had direct flights to the USA but haven't flown with them for years now.

Well worth looking at. Have not got Oct 2023 showing yet so I priced up September 2023. Only thing is I  could not see any Sunday or Monday flights. Monday flight would have suited us just for an o/night in Honolulu. We will have to go on a Sat and spend three days in Honolulu but that could change when the flights come up for October 2023.

30 minutes ago, sewgood said:

Yes, however we paid extra for extra legroom seats and a sky couch each. I got some sleep!!!

23 minutes ago, JohnGc said:

Only thing is I  could not see any Sunday or Monday flights.

We board on Monday so we will fly out on Thursday or Friday so hopefully it won't be a problem.

15 minutes ago, Bizziecruzer said:

Yes, however we paid extra for extra legroom seats and a sky couch each

Thanks Bizziecruzer for getting back to me. The extra leg room sounds like a good tip and may even try a sky couch each depending on the price. 😀

9 minutes ago, sewgood said:

We board on Monday so we will fly out on Thursday or Friday so hopefully it won't be a problem.

Thanks Bizziecruzer for getting back to me. The extra leg room sounds like a good tip and may even try a sky couch each depending on the price. 😀

Works out a fair bit more for a Sky couch for thee adults. I could get just one for me but they don't like punch ups on a plane.😂

• Haha 1