Notes from Queen Victoria to the Mediterranean (& back)

Host Hattie

Second sitting dinner is at 8.15, there was a queue stretching back to the Chart Room but once the doors were open it moved quickly.

We were shown to a table for 2 near the back of the restaurant, my chair was pulled out and napkins placed on our laps.

Mr HH isn't very happy as we normally have a table for 6 but it seemed a good idea when I requested it ! We're right next to another table for 2, when we sat down we exchanged pleasantries with the lady at the table who was anxiously looking for her husband. She soon disappeared leaving us alone.

The sommelier was doing his best to cope with the first night chaos and our wine arrived at the same time as our main course. At least we still have plenty left over for tonight.

We finished in plenty of time to get a box in the theatre for the comedian at 10pm who had plenty of new material about our first port of call being Southampton !

We went to listen to the duo in the Golden Lion and made the most of the mobile connection to the Isle of Wight to let everyone know that we had sailed.

I ordered breakfast via the hanger and we were rocked gently to sleep, very grateful to be sailing at last.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

We slept well and our breakfast arrived on time, it seemed to come with lots of plates but we managed to deal with yogurt, a fruit plate, pastries and smoked salmon and scrambled egg.

Neither of our phones wanted to have anything to do with the wifi so we went to sit in a public room and set up 24 hours of the basic plan. It seems fine so far and is now working in the cabin as well.

At one point I had a message that my account had been locked so we joined the queue for assistance from the incredibly patient librarian who was dealing with everything from how do I set up email on my phone to Can I check these books out ?

The Captain's noon announcement sounded a bit more relaxed than yesterday, we are currently doing 23 knots across the Bay of Biscay so the ship is moving around a bit but we are due in Cadiz on time.

We went to Britannia for lunch and got a table for 2 overlooking the wake. Mr HH was slightly thrown by the new menus, no orange roughy !

307039616_10228381953524790_4095636444694678512_n.jpg

• Like 8

That's very kind thank you.

We had a lazy afternoon, we watched the end of a film waiting for "Mrs Lowry and her son" to start. Mr HH fell asleep and between the noise of the snoring and rehearsals in the theatre I struggled with all the dialogue. 

The WiFi dropped out on my phone but was OK on my Chromebook.

Black and White night so we went to the Commodore Club.

IMG_20220924_191240188_HDR.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

There's a short description on another page but it's not very informative.

I like the colour coding and having the Spa and sales items shown in a separate box but there's definitely less information generally.

As I was saying we tried the Black & White cocktails, I might not have ordered the White Queen after I saw the expression on the lady sitting near us once she tried hers ! All I can say is that it's certainly a Sour - I finished it but that's about the best I can say, the Mai Tai was better but served in  a Martini glass so not the long drink that Mr HH was expecting. Cold and warm canapes were served and we watched the sun set.

• Thanks 1

Hi, we got off QV as you got on! Have a fabulous time. We certainly did!

Interesting, the programmes were still in the old format for our voyage. I like the look of the colour coding, but would prefer more info, I think.

Deckchair, second sitting in Britannia is indeed now fixed, with the same table, waiters and companions. We were very pleased! It now opens at 8.15, with last orders at 8.45.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2022 at 11:31 AM, Host Hattie said:

Second sitting dinner is at 8.15, there was a queue stretching back to the Chart Room but once the doors were open it moved quickly.

We were shown to a table for 2 near the back of the restaurant, my chair was pulled out and napkins placed on our laps.

Mr HH isn't very happy as we normally have a table for 6 but it seemed a good idea when I requested it ! We're right next to another table for 2, when we sat down we exchanged pleasantries with the lady at the table who was anxiously looking for her husband. She soon disappeared leaving us alone.

The sommelier was doing his best to cope with the first night chaos and our wine arrived at the same time as our main course. At least we still have plenty left over for tonight.

We finished in plenty of time to get a box in the theatre for the comedian at 10pm who had plenty of new material about our first port of call being Southampton !

We went to listen to the duo in the Golden Lion and made the most of the mobile connection to the Isle of Wight to let everyone know that we had sailed.

I ordered breakfast via the hanger and we were rocked gently to sleep, very grateful to be sailing at last.

There are 2 entrance points into the Britannia. You can avoid the queue by waiting outside the elevators on Deck 2. 

4 hours ago, Camgirl said:

Hi, we got off QV as you got on! Have a fabulous time. We certainly did!

Interesting, the programmes were still in the old format for our voyage. I like the look of the colour coding, but would prefer more info, I think.

Deckchair, second sitting in Britannia is indeed now fixed, with the same table, waiters and companions. We were very pleased! It now opens at 8.15, with last orders at 8.45.

Thank you for the information, Camgirl.

Deck Chair

10 hours ago, longton said:

There are 2 entrance points into the Britannia. You can avoid the queue by waiting outside the elevators on Deck 2. 

You can't really avoid it completely on the first night as everyone has to be shown to their table