Public transport in ports of call

2 hours ago, fairywren said:

I just dug out our opal concession cards from the last Sydney trip 3 1/2 years ago.

Checked on the website and they are both still valid with a balance of $2.50, surprised me.

NSW used to have an expiry for some states' concession Opals as the NSW government didn't have access to some state records to determine if eligibility had changed. Pension card holders had no expiry, but senior card eligibility from some states did. I believe that is no longer the case, as they have a national register/cooperation between states.

27 minutes ago, arxcards said:

NSW used to have an expiry for some states' concession Opals as the NSW government didn't have access to some state records to determine if eligibility had changed. Pension card holders had no expiry, but senior card eligibility from some states did. I believe that is no longer the case, as they have a national register/cooperation between states.

From memory the senior OPAL card for out of state people had  2 week eligibility - it wasn't worth it for us so we just got the adult ones although now we could change them I suppose. As we don't use NSW public transport very often we just stick with the ordinary ones but suppose some people would either not be in a position to do that or not want to do it as a matter of principle.

Myki will issue you with replacement cards free if yours have got old and credit your new card with the old balance as we did this last month.

I understand that recently  Queensland have cancelled sales of the Go card so do not know what it will be replaced with

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Aussieflyer said:

From memory the senior OPAL card for out of state people had  2 week eligibility - it wasn't worth it for us so we just got the adult ones although now we could change them I suppose. As we don't use NSW public transport very often we just stick with the ordinary ones but suppose some people would either not be in a position to do that or not want to do it as a matter of principle.

Off peak rail fares are cheap in NSW anyway, i.e. Engadine (Sutherland Shire) to City $3.70, so return off peak $7.40.  I got an Opal Card and my travel to and from the ship from  Engadine where I left my car was $2.50 with Opal Card, so $5.00 return on different days. Not a much difference from adult off peak fares, like a saving of $2.40 using Opal. But the advantage with Opal is you can go on trains, buses, ferries etc for the daily $2.50.   

I probably won't use my Opal Card again unless I have another trip to the City for the OPT or to Airport, but then the Airport line charges extra, not $2.50.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Off peak rail fares are cheap in NSW anyway, i.e. Engadine (Sutherland Shire) to City $3.70, so return off peak $7.40.  I got an Opal Card and my travel to and from the ship from  Engadine where I left my car was $2.50 with Opal Card, so $5.00 return on different days. Not a much difference from adult off peak fares, like a saving of $2.40 using Opal. But the advantage with Opal is you can go on trains, buses, ferries etc for the daily $2.50.   

I probably won't use my Opal Card again unless I have another trip to the City for the OPT or to Airport, but then the Airport line charges extra, not $2.50.

We flew into the SYD D terminal in July with an overnight at Rydges then an international flight the next day. We ended up using the train to get between terminals but there was a hefty surcharge.