Fll early flight

worldlady

One of the most commonly asked questions here...

If you can be assured of getting off in the beginning of disembarkation, you can carry your own bags off, and grab the first cab you see, you have a fair chance at catching that flight. However, if you can't do that, or anything goes wrong...you are cooked.

5 hours ago, worldlady said:

We dock at ft Lauderdale 7am can we make it to airport for  a 10:18 am flight  

I agree with CruiserBruce. Just be sure you have a plan B.  Keep in mind just because the ship is due to dock at 7 am that doesn't mean disembarkation will begin at 7 am. The ride between the port and the airport is about 15 minutes. You don't mention when you are traveling but be warned that the airport can be a zoo, especially on high season (winter) weekends when there can be 7 ships in port disembarking passengers. 

• Like 1

Just got off Allure this morning. Fastest we’ve ever been off a ship. Left the cabin at 6:45, walked downstairs with our luggage.  We were through airport security and at the gate at 7:15 am. We had 10:25 am flights booked. Got on standby list and was on a 8 am flight. Very good experience. 

2 hours ago, Dan83 said:

Just got off Allure this morning. Fastest we’ve ever been off a ship. Left the cabin at 6:45, walked downstairs with our luggage.  We were through airport security and at the gate at 7:15 am. We had 10:25 am flights booked. Got on standby list and was on a 8 am flight. Very good experience. 

Just an FYI, the big RCI ships, like Allure, almost always get into port first, ahead of all other ships, due to their size and logistical needs. So getting off them early isn't indicative of the experience others may have on other ships.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Just an FYI, the big RCI ships, like Allure, almost always get into port first, ahead of all other ships, due to their size and logistical needs. So getting off them early isn't indicative of the experience others may have on other ships.

Not to mention that the Allure is the only cruise ship at Port Everglades today!  No wonder the airport wasn't busy.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Yes you are correct. In my excitement about a smooth departure this morning, I neglected to mention that I would not expect to duplicate this every time. I was actually a little nervous booking a 10:25 am flight. We rushed off to the airport and then realized how early it was. Going standby on the earlier flight was a huge bonus. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/25/2022 at 10:45 AM, Dan83 said:

Just got off Allure this morning. Fastest we’ve ever been off a ship. Left the cabin at 6:45, walked downstairs with our luggage.

We were through airport security and at the gate at 7:15 am. We had 10:25 am flights booked.

Got on standby list and was on a 8 am flight. Very good experience. 

I'm thinking of doing this for my flight next year.

is there additional cost for the stand-by flight?

can you pick your seat or it's going to be a middle seat almost guaranteed?

17 minutes ago, skatie said:

Are there plenty of taxis or Ubers to catch to airport?  Any experience if going to taxi stand is faster than calling for an uber

Other than New York City, I have never seen so many taxis anywhere,  as I have seen at Port Everglades at ship disembarking. Literally many hundreds of them.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

That all depends on what airline and if you have an frequent flyer status with them.  

On 11/5/2022 at 4:53 PM, fstuff1 said:

Depends on which airline, usually the cheapest fares will not allow a same day standby. You’ll get whatever seat is open, if any. Playing the standby game doesn’t always work out so great. Definitely has some ups and downs.