Testing for stops in Greece

Lindypops

Sorry if this is a repeat of another question  but i still cannot find a definitive answer.

we board Escape in Rome and call at 3 ports in Greece, NCL protocol says we need an antigen test to call in a greek port .

i have asked my travel agent and they refer me to NCL protocol.

has anyone  done a similar cruise? Did you need a test?

Thanks

We did the Escape cruise out of Rome in August, and had several Greek ports on our itinerary. Didn't need to do any covid testing for those ports. At that time, the covid test requirement for Greece was only for cruises that STARTED/ORIGINATED in Greece (eg. Pireaus/Athens). And that was also according to the NCL Covid protocol. No testing for cruises that started elsewhere in the Mediterranen and had itinerary that included Greek ports. 

Edit: Different requirements if you are unvaccinated though....

Edited by TrumpyNor
  • Like 1

I agree with TrumpyNor. 

here is what i posted recently elsewhere.  NCL could be wording policy a lot better!

ORIGINATING from Greece - (ignoring recovery certs etc.)

1) Up to date Vaccination proof - this MUST include a booster if the original (1 or 2 course) vaccine is more than 270 days prior to departure.  However, even if the booster is more than 270 days since departure (which many are now) THAT BOOSTER does not have to be followed by a second booster - only 1 booster is required to be up to date.

2)  PLUS negative test. 

If you are UNVACCINATED, OR not "up to date" as outlined above - you need a negative test + potential  random tests.

VISITING Greece - 

You don't actually have to prove vaccination status (unless embarking country requires it), but may be subject to occasional tests.  Highly unlikely but that's the upshot of my reading of the text on NCL.

It seems that if cruisers that have had the original vaccination, and not a booster, could find themselves technically failing at the embarkation desk, and being designated as "unvaccinated", alongside the folk that simply said they were unvaccinated in the first place.  You're either fully or zero.  Happy to hear other opinions on whether the above is accurate or not.  Screenshot of requirements below.

greece vax.png

The Greece scenario on the NCL website is confusing. Especially given that according to the Official gov't of Greece site there has been NO requirement to show proof of vaccination to enter Greece since May 1st of 2022. The same is also true of the official EU website to check the requirements for each EU country. I pointed this out to NCL when I called about this as I am looking to book B2B2B on the NCL Star in Oct-Nov. Why the discrepancy. They couldn't answer.

image.thumb.png.21fba72ab2449b3d49c3144aa417e942.png

image.thumb.png.830740a03789e17d5b4594fb2ed9f3ec.png

• Like 1

The latest information on the NCL website has the following for UNVACCINATED  guests (21st Sep Update) visiting Greece.

Applicable to all sailings that call on Greece, regardless of embarkation port: Unvaccinated guests may be required to test occasionally throughout the voyage if deemed necessary by Greek Authorities. Guests would be responsible for the cost** Applicable to all itineraries that call on Greece ports.

The information regarding VACCINATED guests has not changed

That is my point. The official Greece policy is that there is NO need to test as there is NO check of vaccination status to enter Greece. So why does NCL have anything at all on their website for Greece, Vaccinated or Unvaccinated. If there is no requirement to show proof of vaccination why does NCL have anything under the Vaccinated column and Unvaccinated column. Another point aslo mentioned earlier was also the fact that if you don't have a booster then according to NCL you are the same as unvaccinated. Why is NCL checking for something Greece isn't.

image.thumb.png.e7ab1158375964ce21eee3f21387bbe0.png

But that adds confusion to those looking to book, especially when you call and ask about it, they transfer you to someone who supposedly knows the answer but actually all they do is read that chart. They are happy to tell you that should you need a test that they will provide one, for a cost. I hate to think of what they charge for a simple antigen test, you can buy 5 for 15 GBP at any chemist in the UK. No doubt NCL will have a significant markup.

It isn't up to NCL to have a chart of vaccination, testing possibilities for a few specific countries. A blanket statement that at any time testing and or boarding requirements may change based on official government requirements of countries the ship is visiting is all that is needed. Currently and since May 1st, Greece has no requirement to show vaccination status or test. If NCL is being over protective of Greece, why not Italy, France etc. It just makes no sense and is only hurting bookings. I noticed they took Spain, Canary Islands off that page, it was there two days ago so they clearly update the page.

I know people who have flown into Athens in August, no vaccination status check. Ferry to Italy, no check. Ferry back to Greece, no check. I might be missing the point but why confuse people on something that currently doesn't exist.

Thanks. Not a new cruiser, probably 10 with RCCL, 5 with NCL, a few others. I mostly only do repositioning with a B2B possibility. If I am getting on a cruise I like at least 20 days.

I only just found the site. I had been googling the Greece question for two days now trying to get the answer NCL couldn't provide. I came across this question here and realized I am not the only one confused. However I am pretty sure I will book anyway. It seems NCL is not up to date.

FWIW this was recently posted on the Celebrity forum. Viking seems to provide a more detailed "who is behind the requirement" explanation than some other cruise lines. 

NOTE: The port authority in Greece requires pre-embarkation test results for travelers boarding a cruise ship, in accordance with EU cruise ship travel guidelines. The country of Greece does not list these requirements on their official travel site (listed below), as the pre-embarkation test requirement is separate from any requirements for entry to the country of Greece. Without proof of a laboratory-certified negative COVID-19 test, you may be unable to embark the ship and begin your journey.

14-PreCruiseRequirement-All-US_CAN_UK_AU_NZ.pdf (vikingcruises.com)

However, I will add that we were on a Princess cruise in July and also stopped at 3 Greek ports, to include Athens, Santorini and one other, and we did not have to retest once we provided our initial negative antigen test results when we embarked the Regal in Barcelona.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

Interesting. I can't find any such requirement on any Greek port site or in any Greek government Health site. As I said, I know people who have taken ferries to and from Greece over the summer and never had to show anything. I wonder if this is a case of the cruise lines sticking with old rules that may have applied to cruises and not updating based on a national rule.

Has anyone actually boarded a cruise in Athens recently and been told this by Greek authorities, not cruise personnel.

7 minutes ago, transoceanic said:

Interesting. I can't find any such requirement on any Greek port site or in any Greek government Health site. As I said, I know people who have taken ferries to and from Greece over the summer and never had to show anything. I wonder if this is a case of the cruise lines sticking with old rules that may have applied to cruises and not updating based on a national rule.

Has anyone actually boarded a cruise in Athens recently and been told this by Greek authorities, not cruise personnel.

If I might ask, when is your NCL cruise and does it embark in Athens or simply stop at ports in Athens within the next month or two?

Edited by Ken the cruiser

It is aB2B2B2B Oct 26 to Dec 11

Southampton to Rome

Rome to Athens

Athens to Lisbon

Lisbon to Rio

so while I will be on the ship before Athens, I technically will be embarking ( re-embarking) in Athens.

Sometimes on B2B I have had to disembark( just walk off and then walk back on) but not go through the check-in process, sometimes not, sometimes I haven't left the ship.

I've never had to recheck-in, that has always been handled on the ship the night before or that morning.

1 hour ago, transoceanic said:

I know people who have flown into Athens in August, no vaccination status check. Ferry to Italy, no check. Ferry back to Greece, no check. I might be missing the point but why confuse people on something that currently doesn't exist.

BTW how long are those ferry rides you are referring to, which I'm guessing are not roundtrip cruises out of Athens like the 7-day NCL cruises that are going on right now are.

1 minute ago, transoceanic said:

It is aB2B2B2B Oct 26 to Dec 11

Southampton to Rome

Rome to Athens

Athens to Lisbon

Lisbon to Rio

so while I will be on the ship before Athens, I technically will be embarking ( re-embarking) in Athens.

Sometimes on B2B I have had to disembark( just walk off and then walk back on) but not go through the check-in process, sometimes not, sometimes I haven't left the ship.

I've never had to recheck-in, that has always been handled on the ship the night before or that morning.

IMHO since you will not be embarking the ship in Athens, but rather in Southampton, my guess is you won't need to take an antigen test once you reach Athens. However, if you do, I'm pretty sure NCL will provide a complimentary antigen test the day prior to transition day in Athens, so you shouldn't have to worry about it.

1 minute ago, Ken the cruiser said:

IMHO since you will not be embarking the ship in Athens, but rather in Southampton, my guess is you won't need to take an antigen test once you reach Athens. However, if you do, I'm pretty sure NCL will provide a complimentary antigen test the day prior to transition day in Athens, so you shouldn't have to worry about it.

That's what I am hoping. When they transferred me to someone "in the Know" I didn't get an answer. I'm not worried about the restrictions, however there is always a worry with antigen tests. They are not 100% correct. False negative tests are fairly common. I'd rather not go the hassle.

Using summary results for people with no known exposure to COVID-19 in a bigger population of 10,000 people with no symptoms, where 50 (0.5%) of them really had COVID-19:

• 62 people would test positive for COVID-19. Of these, 30 people (48%) would not have COVID-19 (false positive result).

• 9938 people would test negative for COVID-19. Of these, 18 people (0.2%) would actually have COVID-19 (false negative result).

43 minutes ago, transoceanic said:

That's what I am hoping. When they transferred me to someone "in the Know" I didn't get an answer. I'm not worried about the restrictions, however there is always a worry with antigen tests. They are not 100% correct. False negative tests are fairly common. I'd rather not go the hassle.

Using summary results for people with no known exposure to COVID-19 in a bigger population of 10,000 people with no symptoms, where 50 (0.5%) of them really had COVID-19:

• 62 people would test positive for COVID-19. Of these, 30 people (48%) would not have COVID-19 (false positive result).

• 9938 people would test negative for COVID-19. Of these, 18 people (0.2%) would actually have COVID-19 (false negative result).

As far as antigen testing goes, we have been on 5 B2Bs and 2 B3Bs since cruising started back up. On each one of those cruises, except for the Princess B3B in the Med in July, we have taken antigen tests on the day prior to each transition day. Yes, it sucks. Yes, it's stressful, especially on those legs where we have to test before we're allowed to go on the next leg. But we love cruising more, so we put up with it and plan accordingly to stay out of harm's way as much as possible while we're on the cruise. Of course, it also helps to be anti-social! Did I mention we love to cruise! 😂