NCL Prima - Haven with Family

Aulegacy

And I would add that, in my opinion, the infinity pool would not necessarily appeal to children. It's waist-deep and cold. It was nice to stand in a couple times to cool off but brrrr. At least on the Prima! There were a number of kids in the Haven on our cruise but I never saw one on either sun deck. Not even teens. There are places elsewhere that are more fun for them I think.

1 hour ago, Two Wheels Only said:

One problem is that NCL still has a copy/paste for the description of deck 16 and deck 17 for both Prima and Viva...

Soak up the sun and take a dip in the mesmerizing infinity pool. Then let the world melt away as you relax in the sauna and cold room or enjoy a soak in the hot tub. No matter how you plan to spend your time, this private outdoor sanctuary - exclusive for Haven guests - provides the perfect escape. Access to Sundeck restricted to age 16+.

....even though the Infinity Pool isn't on both decks and the hot tubs aren't on both decks.

Totally true.  The hot tubs are on deck 17 and the infinity pool on 16.  I have done a thorough research on line and from people who have been in the Haven on Prima, the popular answer was 16th floor where the pool is kids are fine, the 17th floor where the hot tubs are adults only - which makes sense to me.  But to be safe and sure I have reached out to NCL and ask them to be sure.  I called multiple times and got different answers every time.  So I asked them if there is a way to get a for sure answer on this topic possibly in writing and then correct their web.  They said they have escalated this to the corporate office and will get back to me on Monday with the answer.

There are approx 43 units of "family villa" and I am sure there can be two couples sharing the unit or other forms of families/groups sharing the unit but I bet there will be children of various ages staying with their parents.  If there is an outdoor space designated just for adults 16+ and up only, that rule should be followed but if there is outdoor pool space in the Haven where kids can also enjoy, that would be nice as well for people traveling with little ones as families.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Greenpea2 said:

And I would add that, in my opinion, the infinity pool would not necessarily appeal to children. It's waist-deep and cold. It was nice to stand in a couple times to cool off but brrrr. At least on the Prima! There were a number of kids in the Haven on our cruise but I never saw one on either sun deck. Not even teens. There are places elsewhere that are more fun for them I think.

where was your trip to?  We are doing the Med in August, and hoping it is a little warmer! 🙂

29 minutes ago, Greenpea2 said:

And I would add that, in my opinion, the infinity pool would not necessarily appeal to children. It's waist-deep and cold.

The Haven pool on the previous 6 NCL ships is roughly 3'11". None of them are great for actual swimming but the depth is appropriate for all ages. On MSC, many of the Yacht Club pools are more than 6ft deep. Some of the pools have both shallow and deep sections but others are only deep.

Can't speculate on Viva but sailed Prima 12 days and no restrictions on 16.  Only went up to 17 twice.  Don't recall sign but maybe missed it for 17.  Anyone can quote their site but it could be wrong.

To have restrictions on 16 would make no sense on Prima and Viva since it outside vs the BA+ are generally closed in sans GA.

4 hours ago, dexddd said:

Can't speculate on Viva but sailed Prima 12 days and no restrictions on 16.  Only went up to 17 twice.  Don't recall sign but maybe missed it for 17.  Anyone can quote their site but it could be wrong.

To have restrictions on 16 would make no sense on Prima and Viva since it outside vs the BA+ are generally closed in sans GA.

There are no restrictions on Haven Sundeck on 16. Deck 17 was age 16-plus for us a few months ago and for a friend who cruised a few months before we did. That's all I know. Deck 17 was a peaceful adult area. Hot tubs rarely used, and the smoking area is up there in one corner. 

I would not worry about your kids not being allowed on Deck 16.

5 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

The Haven pool on the previous 6 NCL ships is roughly 3'11". None of them are great for actual swimming but the depth is appropriate for all ages. On MSC, many of the Yacht Club pools are more than 6ft deep. Some of the pools have both shallow and deep sections but others are only deep.

What I was trying to point out was that there is no shallow area. I didn't say/mean it is too deep for children. And it was very cold as well. 

1 hour ago, Greenpea2 said:

There are no restrictions on Haven Sundeck on 16. Deck 17 was age 16-plus for us a few months ago and for a friend who cruised a few months before we did. That's all I know. Deck 17 was a peaceful adult area. Hot tubs rarely used, and the smoking area is up there in one corner. 

I would not worry about your kids not being allowed on Deck 16.

Greenpea2, Thank you again for this information! 🙂

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

One problem is that NCL still has a copy/paste for the description of deck 16 and deck 17 for both Prima and Viva...

I doubt you'll find many people here who aren't aware that NCL doesn't communicate very well. So, yeah.

Good reason to avoid NCL Haven when traveling with a family with members under 16 unless one wants to spend their outdoor time at the non Haven pool.  If they can't be bothered to have a decent product or one they can appropriately describe, I have zero faith they would be able to perform.  Big failure on their part. 

The product they provide is a quiet area of solitude away from noisy kids, and they deliver that, or at least they try to. So their performance is quite good in that regard. Where they seriously lack is in communication. If you object to the Haven being a peaceful area of solitude, that's fine. Book somewhere else. But you can't blame NCL for providing what they say they will. They simply won't be able to get the Haven demand they want if they deviate from that model. Lots of people won't pay to stay there if they allow kids in. It's true that many kids are not noisy, but there will inevitably be some who are. It has to be one way or the other, and they chose the route that provided the most customer satisfaction. They just suck at communicating all that well.

1 hour ago, Cap_D said:

Good reason to avoid NCL Haven when traveling with a family with members under 16 unless one wants to spend their outdoor time at the non Haven pool.  If they can't be bothered to have a decent product or one they can appropriately describe, I have zero faith they would be able to perform.  Big failure on their part. 

That isn't a reason not to book the Haven since you'll spend your time at the same non-haven pool if you don't book the haven.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Cap_D said:

So far as I am aware there is no pool in the Haven that kids cannot use. All of the pools are in an area where anyone is allowed, with appropriate adult supervision (which is sometimes lacking).

The open air sundeck is only for those 16 and over. Have I seen under 16's here? Yes. Did they ever bother me? Nope. But they may bother others. There are areas for under 16's

16 hours ago, omahabob said:

The product they provide is a quiet area of solitude away from noisy kids, and they deliver that, or at least they try to. So their performance is quite good in that regard. Where they seriously lack is in communication. If you object to the Haven being a peaceful area of solitude, that's fine. Book somewhere else. But you can't blame NCL for providing what they say they will. They simply won't be able to get the Haven demand they want if they deviate from that model. Lots of people won't pay to stay there if they allow kids in. It's true that many kids are not noisy, but there will inevitably be some who are. It has to be one way or the other, and they chose the route that provided the most customer satisfaction. They just suck at communicating all that well.

Sounds like someone (not saying you) needs to look at other lines that are adult only. I've traveled Haven four times and every time there were a good number of kids in the area. Were they a wee bit loud in the pool area? Sure. Were they annoying? No. Then again kids don't really bug me. Nit picky adults that don't get a plain burger or their milk do bug me...oh, babies that scream annoy me too. But once a kid has hit four or five, they're fine.

One thing I do not expect in the Haven is a "peaceful area of solitude." That's too pretentious for me. And is certainly not what any Haven I've ever been in is.

• Like 2

Kids under 16 can use the pool and hot tub in the main courtyard area.  They can also sit and use the lounge chairs on the deck above the pool in the area that circles the pool.

The outdoor area with or without hot tubs depending on the ship is for passengers over 16.

There is plenty of space for everyone to get the vacation the want, especially on the newer ships that have a larger adults (over 16) area.

Enjoy!

16 hours ago, omahabob said:

But you can't blame NCL for providing what they say they will. They simply won't be able to get the Haven demand they want if they deviate from that model.

NCL's current model is that all ages can use every Haven pool. Prima and Viva are the only ones that have information on the website that conflicts with the other Haven pools. 

It's much more likely that the information on the site is partially incorrect especially since NCL has the same information for deck 16 and deck 17. 

As for demand, NCL has no problem filling the Haven (one way or another) on their ships and the Haven has always been marketed to families. The "...16 and older..." upper sundeck didn't come until years after NCL started building ships with a Haven. Based on what others have experienced, the age restriction is once again only on the highest sundeck for Prima/Viva. 

Edited by Two Wheels Only

59 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

...Sounds like someone (not saying you) needs to look at other lines that are adult only. I've traveled Haven four times and every time there were a good number of kids in the area. Were they a wee bit loud in the pool area? Sure. Were they annoying? No. Then again kids don't really bug me. Nit picky adults that don't get a plain burger or their milk do bug me...oh, babies that scream annoy me too. But once a kid has hit four or five, they're fine.

One thing I do not expect in the Haven is a "peaceful area of solitude." That's too pretentious for me. And is certainly not what any Haven I've ever been in is.

I'm not advocating one way or another. I'm saying that's the model NCL puts forth. They get good revenue from the Haven, and if any deviation from the model threatens that revenue stream, they could decide to strictly enforce the rules. I'm not saying they will, or that they should, but it is what it is.

I love kids........ as long as the parents take them away when they get annoying, when I tire of them, or when they hog all the cookies. 🤪  Sometimes I can't even stand my own kids. Tried for years for someone to take THEM away, but they finally had mercy on me and moved out.

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

....It's much more likely that the information on the site is partially incorrect especially since NCL has the same information for deck 16 and deck 17....

Incorrect information from NCL? NO WAY!!!!!  😜

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

So far as I am aware there is no pool in the Haven that kids cannot use. All of the pools are in an area where anyone is allowed, with appropriate adult supervision (which is sometimes lacking).

The open air sundeck is only for those 16 and over. Have I seen under 16's here? Yes. Did they ever bother me? Nope. But they may bother others. There are areas for under 16's

Sounds like someone (not saying you) needs to look at other lines that are adult only. I've traveled Haven four times and every time there were a good number of kids in the area. Were they a wee bit loud in the pool area? Sure. Were they annoying? No. Then again kids don't really bug me. Nit picky adults that don't get a plain burger or their milk do bug me...oh, babies that scream annoy me too. But once a kid has hit four or five, they're fine.

I just have to say I love your comment and I thank you for it.  And even though I have never sailed NCL yet and have a few planned in near future, to me Haven or non Haven, NCL gives me that whole family friendly vibe.

I stayed at the Retreat on Celebrity, and Celebrity being less kids and more adults vibe(no slides, no gokarts, no rockclimbing, etc ;), there was no area where kids were not allowed(at least where the areas we have been to) at the Retreat and the Retreat staff made sure they felt welcomed.  And the cruise was peaceful and FUN!

Anywayz, l got the answer from NCL today saying that the courtyard pool area (infinity pool area for Prima class) is allowed to all Haven passengers, and the 17th sundeck is only for 16+.  So here we have the answer!

I once again thank you for all those of you who pitched in and helped me with your experience and information on this topic!

Edited by smilegirl07
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, smilegirl07 said:

I stayed at the Retreat on Celebrity, and Celebrity being less kids and more adults vibe(no slides, no gokarts, no rockclimbing, etc ;), there was no area where kids were not allowed(at least where the areas we have been to) at the Retreat and the Retreat staff made sure they felt welcomed.

Celebrity is very clear when it comes to children and The Retreat...

Can children dine at Luminae?

Yes, all guests of The Retreat may dine at Luminae.

Can children experience The Retreat Lounge?

Yes, all guests of The Retreat may enjoy The Retreat Lounge.

Can children experience The Retreat Sundeck?

Yes, all guests of The Retreat may enjoy The Retreat Sundeck.

Retreat FAQs

10 minutes ago, smilegirl07 said:

Anywayz, l got the answer from NCL today saying that the courtyard pool area (infinity pool area for Prima class) is allowed to all Haven passengers, and the 17th sundeck is only for 16+.  So here we have the answer!

It's great that we have an answer but the problem is that as long as the website has the wrong information, some Retreat guests will have the wrong expectation. 

26 minutes ago, smilegirl07 said:

...Anywayz, l got the answer from NCL today saying that the courtyard pool area (infinity pool area for Prima class) is allowed to all Haven passengers, and the 17th sundeck is only for 16+.  So here we have the answer!...

No, you have AN answer from NCL. Spend some time with them and you'll find you get different answers from different people, or on different days/ships. It's a new concept called Confusedstyle Cruising. It's all the rage now (pun intended).

12 minutes ago, Cap_D said:

No Haven outdoor pool for kids is a deal breaker.  No interest in sitting at the main overcrowded pool or the Haven inside courtyard (that resembles an Embassy Suites courtyard).  

Okay. Glad you shared.

12 minutes ago, Cap_D said:

No Haven outdoor pool for kids is a deal breaker.  No interest in sitting at the main overcrowded pool or the Haven inside courtyard (that resembles an Embassy Suites courtyard).  

Kids who are Haven guests may use the main outdoor pool just like all the other kids onboard.  

17 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Kids who are Haven guests may use the main outdoor pool just like all the other kids onboard.  

What's your point? Not being able to use the outside Haven pool as a family is a pretty big restriction considering the price, the emphasis on family, and the pseudo luxury experience they are promoting.