At what wind speed are tenders cancelled or really rocky?

McFins

Wondering if this is even a question that can be answered.  For Newport RI and Bar Harbor ME at what wind speed would they typically cancel tenders or would it be a really rocky ride to shore?   
Thanks for any feedback you may be able to provide 

That's a good question, I don't know the answers.  

Looks like the cruise ships anchor just west of Goat Island.  That seems like a protected area, I wouldn't think you'd get very big swells in that area.  Not sure about how much the concern is wind vs swells.  I wouldn't think swells would be a problem.

Edited by PATRLR

22 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

That's a good question, I don't know the answers.  

Looks like the cruise ships anchor just west of Goat Island.  That seems like a protected area, I wouldn't think you'd get very big swells in that area.  Not sure about how much the concern is wind vs swells.  I wouldn't think swells would be a problem.

The above is discussing Newport.  I don't know anything about Bar Harbor.

Be careful in the future booking any itinerary with a stop in Bar Harbor.

The citizens of Bar Harbor have voted to limit, if not ban, cruise ships in the future.

Ships that have already  reservations in 2023 will be honored. No new requests for 2023 will be granted.

There is some discussion of allowing up to one thousand cruise passengers a day in the future.

And no, I don't have a link.  Just google and one will find the information.

I'm sure each cruise line probably has speed but it could also vary by cruise line and the Captain probably has some sort of say in it as well.  If the lowest speed is say 20kts but it's blowing 18kts the Captain might still feel it's unsafe depending on other conditions.

A few years back on RC the Captain said 645a the wind was blowing too hard and that if by 7 it was still blowing that hard we would have skipped CocoCay.  In the end it laid down enough for him to make a decision it was safe to tender.  unfortunately he never said what that speed was.

Good question. I was on VotS last week and our planned port stop at Bar Harbor was cancelled for safety reasons. Not sure if was winds, swells, or both. We couldn't tender. On Friday in the PM I was up on deck 12 walking and the winds were bad. Saturday AM deck 4 and 12 were closed. Would be nice to know what the wind speeds were.