GTY experience

Hoping someone can give me a tutorial on how to scan the set sail pass if the only way I can see my set sail pass is on my iPhone?  I am definitely technically challenged!

I have not yet filled out our check in documents. Our cruise is barely over a month away. The of the cruise payment has not yet even been posted to our credit card,  so even if I filled in the necessary information to cruise, I’m sure we won’t know anything for a while.

I know how to use my phone to scan a printed out barcode to download, say, a restaurant menu or something. What I don’t understand is, if I am looking at my set sail pass on my own phone screen (once the pass has been issued), how can I use my phone to scan the barcode I am looking at on my phone’s screen?  
Is that even doable?

Thanks for any helpful information.

6 hours ago, mlbcruiser said:

Hoping someone can give me a tutorial on how to scan the set sail pass if the only way I can see my set sail pass is on my iPhone?  I am definitely technically challenged!

I have not yet filled out our check in documents. Our cruise is barely over a month away. The of the cruise payment has not yet even been posted to our credit card,  so even if I filled in the necessary information to cruise, I’m sure we won’t know anything for a while.

I know how to use my phone to scan a printed out barcode to download, say, a restaurant menu or something. What I don’t understand is, if I am looking at my set sail pass on my own phone screen (once the pass has been issued), how can I use my phone to scan the barcode I am looking at on my phone’s screen?  
Is that even doable?

Thanks for any helpful information.

I have an Android Phone. I downloaded an app from the store called Barcode Scanner. They have a subscription download and a free download. I used the free download. Bring your set sail pass up on a laptop or larger screen. Use the app to scan. If it does not scan, print out the setsail pass and scan that. Sometimes the barcode scanner will not work with displays that do not provide enough resolution or flicker (slow refresh rate). I have used this successfully.

If you have an apple, others have stated to scan it into your Apple wallet app and it will provide a number.

The last numbers after the "-" is your room number. If there is a muster  station on your setsail pass, there should normally be a readable number even if your room still says guarantee.

Regards,

7 hours ago, mlbcruiser said:

Hoping someone can give me a tutorial on how to scan the set sail pass if the only way I can see my set sail pass is on my iPhone?

Once you open your set sail pass in the app, click the button that says "add to apple wallet" then click "preview" and you should see numbers under the barcode. The numbers to the right of the dash are your cabin. If you see "GTY" than it truly hasn;t been assigned yet.

You can also scan the barcode a few different ways, like mentioned above, but the apple wallet version will be easier for you.

Edited by OCSC Mike
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OCSC Mike said:

Once you open your set sail pass in the app, click the button that says "add to apple wallet" then click "preview" and you should see numbers under the barcode. The numbers to the right of the dash are your cabin. If you see "GTY" than it truly hasn;t been assigned yet.

You can also scan the barcode a few different ways, like mentioned above, but the apple wallet version will be easier for you.

I know you have posted this many times in other threads. Thanks for the Apple clarification since I do not have an Apple.

Thanks a bunch for the information! Just to show you how and technical I am, I have never ever used Apple wallet. So I did go to settings and opened it, and it looks more like something you used to pay for things. Is it an actual app also that I needed to definitely download? Maybe that is the problem. I know you all have mentioned downloading the app. (Yes, I’m dense as well as technically challenged!) There was a button  that said  cards and passes. I clicked it but I never listed any cards or passes so there weren’t any.  
I actually had thought about trying to scan the barcode off of a computer by going to the RCI  site and was able to pulling up my sign and sail pass that way. But knew there must be some easier way to do it on your phone. I’ve actually had iPhones for years now. Don’t use half of the things they can do. But again, thanks very very much for the help!

15 minutes ago, mlbcruiser said:

Thanks a bunch for the information! Just to show you how and technical I am, I have never ever used Apple wallet. So I did go to settings and opened it, and it looks more like something you used to pay for things. Is it an actual app also that I needed to definitely download? Maybe that is the problem. I know you all have mentioned downloading the app. (Yes, I’m dense as well as technically challenged!) There was a button  that said  cards and passes. I clicked it but I never listed any cards or passes so there weren’t any.  
I actually had thought about trying to scan the barcode off of a computer by going to the RCI  site and was able to pulling up my sign and sail pass that way. But knew there must be some easier way to do it on your phone. I’ve actually had iPhones for years now. Don’t use half of the things they can do. But again, thanks very very much for the help!

Apple wallet is used for all kinds of things.  Some hotels offer “add to wallet” functionality for reservation info, online movie tickets, etc.  I even have my covid vaccine data available in the wallet, although as we seem to be needing that less and less to travel that is less of a benefit.  I use it, but never to pay for anything, lol

We booked a GTY balcony on the Explorer sailing end of Oct. 2022. I tried the barcode trick 2 days ago. It showed a bunch of numbers, then after the dash it had 6338. Well next day (yesterday) I checked again and instead of GTY in my booking it said 6338. So I guess the barcode thing works, I'm happy with the room unless someone knows something I don't LOL.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, murph1031 said:

I'm happy with the room unless someone knows something I don't

If you are on the 10/29 sailing, it's not like you have a lot of options to move to - only two cabins I can see and neither are in any better location - that's a good assignment as normally you'd get a D cat balcony.

• Like 1

I’m still having issues. Have completed check in for my husband and I. The set sail pass is showing a barcode. Both my daughter and my grandson tried with their individual  Iphones to scan the barcode but it would not scan. We can all scan QR codes but is it necessary to download a special scanning app to scan this type? If so, which would you recommend? I’m sure I would get the same eesult if I printed it out and tried to scan the barcode. 

BTW, I noticed above where it was mentioned to sign into the app and then click where it says Apple Pay underneath the barcode at the bottom of the page. Unfortunately every time I try to log into the RCI app, it doesn’t recognize my password. I was certain I was using the same one I always used. Now in the last week I have changed my password three times and continue to have issues with the the Royal Caribbean app, which has been on my phone for sometime. So I just used the .com site to complete our info. 

I appreciate the help I’ve already been given but does anyone know why it won’t scan with the phones? Does it have to do with pixels/ image degradation or what?  Thanks for any help.

Edited by mlbcruiser

25 minutes ago, mlbcruiser said:

I’m still having issues. Have completed check in for my husband and I. The set sail pass is showing a barcode. Both my daughter and my grandson tried with their individual  Iphones to scan the barcode but it would not scan. We can all scan QR codes but is it necessary to download a special scanning app to scan this type? If so, which would you recommend? I’m sure I would get the same eesult if I printed it out and tried to scan the barcode. 

BTW, I noticed above where it was mentioned to sign into the app and then click where it says Apple Pay underneath the barcode at the bottom of the page. Unfortunately every time I try to log into the RCI app, it doesn’t recognize my password. I was certain I was using the same one I always used. Now in the last week I have changed my password three times and continue to have issues with the the Royal Caribbean app, which has been on my phone for sometime. So I just used the .com site to complete our info. 

I appreciate the help I’ve already been given but does anyone know why it won’t scan with the phones? Does it have to do with pixels/ image degradation or what?  Thanks for any help.

If you can save it to your Apple wallet, the numbers just show under the bar code, so no need to scan.  Otherwise you probably need an app to scan this type of bar code.

6 hours ago, mlbcruiser said:

Unfortunately every time I try to log into the RCI app, it doesn’t recognize my password.

Reset your password then. You are likely going to want access to the app for more than just the barcode trick.