Arriving in Auckland April 7 2023 - Good Friday

CeeCee59

We will be arriving from a very long 15 hour flight in Auckland at 5:15 AM on Good Friday 2023.  Our hotel check-in time isn't until 3:00 PM (though I am hoping they will at least keep our luggage for us).  What is likely to be open, not too strenuous and a "must-do".  We are cruising out the next day but not until 8:00 PM, so any suggestions for the Saturday would be welcomed too.

Friday.

As you say, drop the bags at the hotel…..that will be OK.

Wander down to the ferry terminal and catch the 15 min ferry to Devonport.

Check the Fullers website for times, but likely 00 and 30 each hour for the departure from the AKL side.

Depending on your energy level….in descending order.

1. Walk to the right, and up the road / track to the top of North Head.

Excellent views around the Hauraki Gulf.

2. Walk straight ahead then up the road / track to the top of Mt Victoria.

Also great views from there.

3. In all cases stop off in the Devonport village Main Street for a drink and a bite to eat.

15 min ferry back to the Auckland CBD side of the harbour.

There may or may not be a small public holiday surcharge added to your cafe bill due to higher staff costs on a public holiday.

I hope you enjoy your visit to NZ as much as we enjoy our visits to BC.

On 9/27/2022 at 2:33 AM, CeeCee59 said:

We will be arriving from a very long 15 hour flight in Auckland at 5:15 AM on Good Friday 2023.  Our hotel check-in time isn't until 3:00 PM (though I am hoping they will at least keep our luggage for us).  What is likely to be open, not too strenuous and a "must-do".  We are cruising out the next day but not until 8:00 PM, so any suggestions for the Saturday would be welcomed too.

I would book accommodation for the previous night as well.  A shower to freshen up and a short sleep before you explore will be priceless.  Plus ask for late check out on day after Good Friday when you book. 

If you are interested I'll find where we stay in a sc unit at Parnell, where you can watch your ship come in the next day,

2 hours ago, CeeCee59 said:

We are booked into the MSocial for only the Friday night - booked it as soon as I made the flight arrangements.  Seems to be right across from the pier and got a good rate.  Anyone stayed here?

Yes, I have - pre-pandemic. It's okay. Not cosy at all but clean and functional. For a brief stay, it's fine. You're correct about the location - it's an easy walk to the ferry terminal and apparently the cruise ships dock just down the road. I see your ship will be at Queen's wharf which is a bit closer to the MSocial than the Prince's wharf.

I would definitely do as suggested above and book for the Thursday night as well. I always do that if I have an early arrival; 5am is too early to be wandering around after a long flight especially given it may be a bit unpredictable what's open on Good Friday and the ferry schedules might be altered etc.

2 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Yes, I have - pre-pandemic. It's okay. Not cosy at all but clean and functional. For a brief stay, it's fine. You're correct about the location - it's an easy walk to the ferry terminal and apparently the cruise ships dock just down the road. I see your ship will be at Queen's wharf which is a bit closer to the MSocial than the Prince's wharf.

I have also stayed at MSocial pre-pandemic and it is definitely closer to Princes Wharf (in fact right opposite).

This photo was taken from my room at MSocial

RX021243PSP.thumb.JPG.eb0d3647de5074909fe29652280fa434.JPG

• Like 1