Wine purchases while in port

letsgogogo

I realize we cannot consume these. That’s not the plan anyway. Visiting wineries outside of Halifax and intend to take home a half case or so. Where will these go when I bring them back to the ship? And if they take them, how/when will I get them back? Do they even screen for that kind of stuff after embarkation day? 

4 minutes ago, letsgogogo said:

I realize we cannot consume these. That’s not the plan anyway. Visiting wineries outside of Halifax and intend to take home a half case or so. Where will these go when I bring them back to the ship? And if they take them, how/when will I get them back? Do they even screen for that kind of stuff after embarkation day? 

For your interpretation:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/faqs/before-you-board

2.)Alcoholic beverages that are purchased from onboard shops or in ports of call (which must be presented to security upon re-boarding), will be secured by ship's personnel. Alcohol secured by ship's personnel will be returned to guests just prior to the conclusion of their cruise vacation. 

1 minute ago, GORDONCHICK said:

Just know that depending on where your cruise ends, there are many times extra taxes &/or fees to be paid over certain alcohol limits.  They are usually based on per person of legal age.

Since this started with wine...

For still white or red wines of 14% or less alcohol, the duty is about $1.25 a gallon, irrespective of price.  Not worth their time to bother with the paperwork for a few bottles, and they don't. 

Just now, canderson said:

For still white or red wines of 14% or less alcohol, the duty is about $1.25 a gallon, irrespective of price.  Not worth their time to bother with the paperwork for a few bottles, and they don't. 

The monetary part of it has always been negligible for wine.  The paperwork is a pain.  And depending on where the cruise ends, it can be a big deal.

5 minutes ago, canderson said:

My assumption is that wine falls under the 'alcoholic beverages'  banner...is that not the case??

Just now, dlh015 said:

My assumption is that wine falls under the 'alcoholic beverages'  banner...is that not the case??

I was referring to return through customs where everything falls into a specific classification regarding duty.  My numbers apply to U.S. customs duty on typical (e.g. non-fortified) wine.

11 minutes ago, GORDONCHICK said:

The monetary part of it has always been negligible for wine.  The paperwork is a pain.  And depending on where the cruise ends, it can be a big deal.

If there's no plan to collect the duty, they don't start the paperwork.  I've brought a full case back at a time, often through Dulles, and with nothing else to declare, they won't be bothered to process it for the less than $5 they would collect.

4 minutes ago, canderson said:

I was referring to return through customs where everything falls into a specific classification regarding duty.  My numbers apply to U.S. customs duty on typical (e.g. non-fortified) wine.

That's what I thought...but I wanted to be sure I wasn't spreading inaccurate info...I did that once and it was personally rather embarrassing...

1 minute ago, dlh015 said:

That's what I thought...but I wanted to be sure I wasn't spreading inaccurate info...I did that once and it was personally rather embarrassing...

Booze falls under an entirely different USITC number, with different dutiable rate.  So does a killer Zinfandel at 15% alcohol!

• Thanks 1

My experience has been that in ports where there were shore excursions that visited wineries, we were mostly allowed to bring wines on board with us, although occasionally we were asked to check them at a table situated just at the boarding area.  I remember one port in Italy where pretty much all day long there was a staff member sitting at the boarding area taking wines.  When the bus which had taken passengers to a winery pulled up, he was dismissed and those passengers brought their wines to the stateroom.  My point is, YMMV.

We haven't been supplied with the customs forms or asked to declare our purchases for the past few years (even pre-Covid). Multiple ports (NOLA, Port Canaveral, Port Everglades, Galveston, Miami) have face recognition passport/border control - sail (pardon the pun) right through. Didn't even have dogs sniffing bags at NOLA last month. Even an expensive watch purchase in April didn't trigger a duty inquiry. YMMV

(BTW - carry on whatever, when there's a crowd re-boarding at a port, place bags through the scanner and then just keep walking.)

7 hours ago, GORDONCHICK said:

Just know that depending on where your cruise ends, there are many times extra taxes &/or fees to be paid over certain alcohol limits.  They are usually based on per person of legal age.

Yep. I’m aware of this. However friends of mine in the wine distribution trade shared that at least in the USA, customs agents don’t typically bother. If you declare a case or 2 of wine, the tax isn’t enough to bother filling out the forms. My wine carrier holds 8 bottles. I think it will end up being cheap in the worse case scenario. 

There was only one time where they stopped me and had me wait for someone to check a bottle of wine.  The end result is the person never showed up and they waived me through after 10 minutes of waiting.

Many other times they did not care.  They can see it on their video.  Perhaps with a larger amount they might?  I have never brought more than 2 bottles onboard at a port.  Tour stops with wineries have a large number of people bringing wine back.  My experience is that there is very little screening.

Edited by NMTraveller

I’m not sure it’s been consistent but my experience has been being pulled off to the side when boarding with alcohol.  Crew member checks alcohol and whether or not I have a classic or premium alcohol package. If I do they allow me to take it to my cabin or offer to store it.  If I don’t they take it away for storage.  Alcohol taken for storage is returned the last day of the cruise.  
To the OP.  Enjoy your trip to our Nova Scotia wineries.  I’m sure you’ll have fun and leave with some interesting and unique wines.  I’m sure you already know that Tidal Bay is the Nova Scotia wine and is available at most wineries.  

9 hours ago, RickT said:

To the OP.  Enjoy your trip to our Nova Scotia wineries.  I’m sure you’ll have fun and leave with some interesting and unique wines.  I’m sure you already know that Tidal Bay is the Nova Scotia wine and is available at most wineries.  

Thank you, looking forward to it. We are visiting Grand Pré and Planters Ridge. Only time for 2 given the shorter port time in Halifax. 

• Like 1

@letsgogogoThose are good choices.  The Food at Grand Pre is especially good.  Should you wish to bring back wines from other Nova Scotia wineries the store Bishops Cellar is very near where the ship docks. They have a good selection. 
https://bishopscellar.com/?s=&hPP=24&idx=live_wp_posts_product&pg=0&hFR[taxonomies_hierarchical.product_cat.lvl0][0]=Wine&hFR[taxonomies.pa_region][0]=Nova Scotia&is_v=1

2 hours ago, RickT said:

@letsgogogoThose are good choices.  The Food at Grand Pre is especially good.  Should you wish to bring back wines from other Nova Scotia wineries the store Bishops Cellar is very near where the ship docks. They have a good selection. 
https://bishopscellar.com/?s=&hPP=24&idx=live_wp_posts_product&pg=0&hFR[taxonomies_hierarchical.product_cat.lvl0][0]=Wine&hFR[taxonomies.pa_region][0]=Nova Scotia&is_v=1

That’s super helpful. Any specific recommendations on bottles from either of those 2 or others?

6 hours ago, letsgogogo said:

That’s super helpful. Any specific recommendations on bottles from either of those 2 or others?

The staff there are excellent.  Rather than me trying to figure out what you like just let them know what you tried and they can build on that.  Luckett and Benjamin Bridge are two of the more well known.