Updated Covid Booster question.

Woofa

I just confirmed this with CVS but figured I would double check.

Original Pfizer Covid double shot April 10 and April 25, 2021;

Covid booster October 2021.

I plan on getting the newer Omicron booster in October.

Caribbean cruise in January 2023. Just making sure I don't need to get the original Civic double shot again.

Thanks.

Edited by Woofa

• Woofa changed the title to Updated Covid Booster question.

If you're departing from the U.S. and you had a two-shot Pfizer or Moderna series in the past, you are "fully vaccinated" for departures from the U.S.:  

"United States’ and Canada’s definition of fully vaccinated means to have completed the full brand vaccination protocol at least 15 days prior to embarkation. Therefore, two administered doses/shots of AstraZeneca, Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, Sinopharm or Sinovac, etc; or a single shot of a single dose vaccination + 15 days equals fully vaccinated. A single shot of a dual dose vaccine or antibodies from Covid-19 recovery is NOT considered being fully vaccinated."

As of now, you don't even need a booster (but you may want one that protects against Omicron variants).

You can see the current protocol for sailings here:

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/sites/default/files/2022-08/Sail-Safe-new-program.pdf

Edited by MarkWiltonM

Not too sure what various Caribbean countries are requiring, but GICNJC is correct about a 270-day cut-off.  A number of countries in Europe (and elsewhere) require your primary, 2-dose vaccinations to have occurred within the past 270 days.  If it's been more than 270 days, the traveler must show proof of at least 1 booster.  It's also a good idea to check a country's definition of "fully vaccinated", as some consider it to be receiving 2 primary doses, while others deem "fully vaccinated" to be 2 primaries plus at least 1 booster.

With all that said, I think Oceania will probably give you a heads-up on what is required as you get closer to your sail date.

I agree that, depending on your departure country, you may need to meet the 270 day rule.  We are sailing from Italy on Nov 11th, and unless I misread the recent Oceania directive relative to our cruise, we have to have at least a booster within the 270 day window.   You are wise in any event, to get yourself the newest booster.  

2 hours ago, WFHFLOYD said:

I agree that, depending on your departure country, you may need to meet the 270 day rule.  We are sailing from Italy on Nov 11th, and unless I misread the recent Oceania directive relative to our cruise, we have to have at least a booster within the 270 day window.   You are wise in any event, to get yourself the newest booster.  

You must have mis-read it.  Only the original sequence expires after 270 days.  Having at least one booster keeps you in the 'fully vaccinated' status permanently [at least for now].

• Like 2