Bringing items from Canada to the US

Holly g

Yes, in unopened sealed containers.  Also, I believe you only have to declare it if you exceed a specific $$ amount.  I couldn't find the amount easily on the web site, but it is crazy high unless you are bringing jewelry or something.

Here is a small portion about bringing food it.

General Food

The following are generally admissible if they are unopened and commercially packed. Many prepared foods that are unopened and commercially labeled are admissible (excluding meats and meat products).

You may bring bakery items and most cheeses into the United States. As a general rule, condiments, vinegars, oils, packaged spices, honey, maple syrup, coffee, fish, tea, and baby formula are admissible. Because rice can often harbor insects, it is best to avoid bringing it into the United States, particularly if it is in loose burlap packaging. Foods in packaging that appears unsafe or contaminated may be refused entry.

24 minutes ago, alwalaska said:

Also, I believe you only have to declare it if you exceed a specific $$ amount.

The customs declaration form says:

I am (We are) bringing

(a) fruits, vegetables, plants, seeds, food, insects:

No dollar amount listed as a minimum threshold for needing to declare. Any and all food must be declared. As I said in my earlier post, if you fail to declare you may be issued a fine. Lots and lots of people fill out the form incorrectly and don't get a fine but I would hesitate to give incorrect advice nonetheless.  

5 hours ago, Holly g said:

I know if you buy beer or wine in Canada that NCL will hold it for you and give it to you  before you disembark. But can you bring back items such as honey and maple syrup without any problems?

I always bring my 'Honey' back without any problem. We have been married 60 years! 

• Haha 7

On 9/27/2022 at 11:11 AM, dandelpino said:

The customs declaration form says:

I am (We are) bringing

(a) fruits, vegetables, plants, seeds, food, insects:

No dollar amount listed as a minimum threshold for needing to declare. Any and all food must be declared. As I said in my earlier post, if you fail to declare you may be issued a fine. Lots and lots of people fill out the form incorrectly and don't get a fine but I would hesitate to give incorrect advice nonetheless.  

But, there are no declaration forms any more. 

On 9/27/2022 at 11:11 AM, dandelpino said:

Any and all food must be declared. 

that's sort of true.

but also sort of not.

the rule still applies, regardless of whether a declaration form is being used... but the language is very broad.

i've traveled extensively by air and also by sea. and several times, with packaged food, such as jam from england and maple syrup from canada and cheese from holland (via aruba), i have asked about this very thing. and they have always said: "no, no, we don't care about that. we want to know about raw or organic food, plants and meats." and they just waved me through.  

they're looking for balut, they're looking for plants, they're looking for uncooked meat and fish. anything packaged and sealed is generally OK.

as for maple syrup, on my most recent cruise on the joy, after coming back on board with two bottles of maple syrup... the NCL security personnel insisted - after viewing them in the x-ray machine - that i had alcoholic beverages and they asked me to open my bag.

On 9/27/2022 at 10:23 AM, Holly g said:

I know if you buy beer or wine in Canada that NCL will hold it for you and give it to you  before you disembark. But can you bring back items such as honey and maple syrup without any problems?

The honey and maple syrup, yes. The accent no... Eh?

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Okay Hoser!!  🤣

I have a Canadian tax ITN number. I get to make that joke... just not with a Canadian in any position of authority like a border agent or waiter serving my food. 🤣

Edited by kylenyc
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, kylenyc said:

I have a Canadian tax ITN number. I get to make that joke... just not with a Canadian in any position of authority like a border agent 🤣

To be honest, I didn't know if the "hoser" reference even made any sense.  I watched strange brew, and set foot in the great white North three times.  I also think that RUSH is a great band.  I'll even go back to The Guess Who.  Other than that?  I got nothin'....🤠

6 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

To be honest, I didn't know if the "hoser" reference even made any sense.  I watched strange brew, and set foot in the great white North three times.  I also think that RUSH is a great band.  I'll even go back to The Guess Who.  Other than that?  I got nothin'....🤠

I much prefer the more civilized Fargo ooook eh yah.

Edited by kylenyc

On 9/28/2022 at 8:32 PM, UKstages said:

that's sort of true.

but also sort of not.

the rule still applies, regardless of whether a declaration form is being used... but the language is very broad.

i've traveled extensively by air and also by sea. and several times, with packaged food, such as jam from england and maple syrup from canada and cheese from holland (via aruba), i have asked about this very thing. and they have always said: "no, no, we don't care about that. we want to know about raw or organic food, plants and meats." and they just waved me through.  

they're looking for balut, they're looking for plants, they're looking for uncooked meat and fish. anything packaged and sealed is generally OK.

as for maple syrup, on my most recent cruise on the joy, after coming back on board with two bottles of maple syrup... the NCL security personnel insisted - after viewing them in the x-ray machine - that i had alcoholic beverages and they asked me to open my bag.

Who is they, who asked you about things?  

On 9/27/2022 at 10:23 AM, Holly g said:

But can you bring back items such as honey and maple syrup without any problems?

Why would you want to bring that imposter maple syrup from Canada into the US?  I can connect you with some folks that will send you the best maple syrup on the planet, made in Vermont (says the guy with Vermont roots 😉 ).

But then I see from your profile you are from NY.  I think the only people more adamant that they have the best maple syrup is New Yorkers in the Adirondack area.  Are you sure you will be allowed to bring that Canadian swill into NY?  🙂

(Before our friends to the north get their shorts in a bunch, I'm kidding.  It's all in fun)

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, PATRLR said:

(Before our friends to the north get their shorts in a bunch, I'm kidding.  It's all in fun)

Watch it, buddy.  Good real maple syrup is no laughing matter.  We take our syrup very seriously in the Great White North.  Your syrup is much like your beer, a watered down imposter at best. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, bookbabe said:

Watch it, buddy.  Good real maple syrup is no laughing matter.  We take our syrup very seriously in the Great White North.  Your syrup is much like your beer, a watered down imposter at best. 😉

Ouch! 🙂

• Haha 1