chef's market excursion

toohoos

My wife and I are "foodies" and are curious if anyone has experience with the Chef's Market Experience excursions?  The specific one we are looking at is in St. Lucia.  We are wondering if anyone has experience with any of these excursions and whether they thought it was worth the cost.   

Thanks!

My husband and I did the Chef's Market Discoveries Excursion in Cozumel.  As I had previously mentioned on another thread, the Chef's Market Discoveries is the only Celebrity tour that I have ever recommended.  I believe that each Chef's Market Discoveries excursion may differ depending on the port of call.  So I can only reference my experience in Cozumel.  Spending the day with one of the ship's chefs was a wonderful and fun experience.  The dinner that evening was fabulous!  The chef incorporated food items and tequila (which was quite expensive) that he had purchased that day into our evening meal.  I wish Celebrity was offering this excursion on our 4 December 2022 Beyond cruise because I would definitely do this tour again.

I was scheduled on one on our April B3B.     It was expensive at about $500+ for the two of us.   They cancelled it about a couple before the excursion with no reason and left us scrambling to spend $500 NR OBC  with only 5 days left of the cruise.   Makes it difficult when you are in a RS and all specialties included.

1 minute ago, go.without.you said:

I've never seen this. Would it be under excursions? I usually stay on board in Cozumel but would love to do this.

Yes they list it under excursions.   It is not always offered.    You go to the markets with the chief and then you return to the ship and they have a Chief's Dinner where he prepares a  special meal served in one of the specialties. 

We will be taking one of these excursions for the first time in Cartagena. Glad I booked early for the 4 of us as it sold out fairly early.

It begins at 10:00 with a duration of 4:45, which gets us back at 2:45.  

The description then follows with what I quote below.  My question:  What, typically, is the "appointed time"?

"Back on the ship, at the appointed time, you'll meet our onboard chef for a fascinating tour of the galley, followed by an intimate chef-hosted dinner of Spanish treasures. Savor Cartagena-inspired flavors while learning more about the world of culinary arts. This is a uniquely hands-on dinner featuring flavors and ingredients from the day's exploration. The journey continues on board, where you'll taste the Modern Luxury version of the day's culinary adventure."

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, canderson said:

We will be taking one of these excursions for the first time in Cartagena. Glad I booked early for the 4 of us as it sold out fairly early.

The description then follows with what I quote below.  My question:  What, typically, is the "appointed time"?

"Back on the ship, at the appointed time, you'll meet our onboard chef for a fascinating tour of the galley, followed by an intimate chef-hosted dinner of Spanish treasures. Savor Cartagena-inspired flavors while learning more about the world of culinary arts. This is a uniquely hands-on dinner featuring flavors and ingredients from the day's exploration. The journey continues on board, where you'll taste the Modern Luxury version of the day's culinary adventure."

Hope you will post pictures of the excursion.   The Cartegena one was the one that was cancelled on us.    I had booked it 6 months in advance so was really disappointed when cancelled.

45 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Hope you will post pictures of the excursion.   The Cartegena one was the one that was cancelled on us.    I had booked it 6 months in advance so was really disappointed when cancelled.

Just sent myself an email reminder to add this to the day's itinerary so I don't forget!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, canderson said:

We (Vivien & Larry) will be joining you on this one! (FYI, just updated the table for the Roll Call)

1 hour ago, Jazzbo said:

We (Vivien & Larry) will be joining you on this one! (FYI, just updated the table for the Roll Call)

Great!  Thanks for the Excel-lent work there.

Looking forward to finally trying one of these excursions.  Will be interested in seeing how the 'cooking' part goes at lunch, too.  Paella was traditionally cooked over pine and citrus wood to give it extra flavor, but I kinda doubt that 'campfire cooking' will be part of our experience!

6 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Heaven knows we all owe you enough photos of our experiences.  We certainly used yours to make a couple of decisions on our last cruises.

OK.  You're officially on the WBTA2022.docx itinerary as part of our Cartegena day!

I guess it'll be what you'd call a one day 'PLOG'.  I assume you will want dinner covered as well?  (Am pretty sure you're willing to forgo the galley tour.) 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, sunpsyche said:

Does anyone who has participated know if the chef will adapt the menu for vegetarians?

I'm sure they will as well as any other dietary needs.    Might be fun to let him know an he will probably pick up some nice selections for you.

Slightly related to this topic: On my Dec. 22, 2022, Edge sailing, there is the opportunity to experience "Cooking with the Caribbean Spice Girl."  Has anyone done that?  I have read good reports, but the ship is charging $231 ( the Spice Girl is only charging $99 booking directly with her).   

2 minutes ago, njguy_south said:

Slightly related to this topic: On my Dec. 22, 2022, Edge sailing, there is the opportunity to experience "Cooking with the Caribbean Spice Girl."  Has anyone done that?  I have read good reports, but the ship is charging $231 ( the Spice Girl is only charging $99 booking directly with her).   

Then just book it directly with the Spice Girl.

11 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I'm sure they will as well as any other dietary needs.    Might be fun to let him know an he will probably pick up some nice selections for you.

Thanks, Jim.  We’ve thought about trying this as we are real foodies, despite dietary concerns. We’ll address it with shoreside concierge prior to boarding.  They did adapt 
Veuve Clicquot dinner for us last summer on the Summit. 

On 9/28/2022 at 8:48 PM, Jim_Iain said:

I was scheduled on one on our April B3B.     It was expensive at about $500+ for the two of us.   They cancelled it about a couple before the excursion with no reason and left us scrambling to spend $500 NR OBC  with only 5 days left of the cruise.   Makes it difficult when you are in a RS and all specialties included.

We have booked this excursion at least 3 times - pre-Covid - and had it cancelled all 3 times. Once we were not informed until we showed up at the appointed time and place to begin the excursion, only to be told it was cancelled and everyone was notified days before - we were not. I hope the OP has better luck. 

I am sailing on the Equinox in Oct.   They are offering it in St Lucia   As posted it is under shore excursions.   When you look under manage your reservation. The price is $191 pp pre cruise rate.   It is 20% off and you can use your OBC   Normally $240 pp 

It appears to be a lot of value for what you pay.  

Highlights

• Visit Castries Market and learn how to source the freshest local ingredients with the help of our Celebrity Chef.
  • Have your camera ready for spectacular views from Morne Viewpoint.
  • Sample local delicacies at the beautiful Pink Plantation, overlooking the shimmering bay.
  • Journey to Chateau Mygo Restaurant where you'll learn how to craft a local dish and savor a three-course meal.
  • Enjoy an exclusive chef-guided tour of the ship's galley before sitting down to an intimate market-inspired meal with the chef.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅